Multi-Rotors Discuss your quad copters and other multi engined choppers here.

FAA To Require Drone Registration

Old 10-18-2015, 03:39 AM
tolona

Default FAA To Require Drone Registration

Saw this on Drudge Report today. Not many particulars in article. Sounds like a new tax on hobbyists to me. I don't fly drones, but if i did, i would ignore this possible new reg.... Next they'll be wanting to tax my Lazy Bird, there's a limit....
Old 10-18-2015, 04:29 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tolona View Post
Saw this on Drudge Report today. Not many particulars in article. Sounds like a new tax on hobbyists to me. I don't fly drones, but if i did, i would ignore this possible new reg.... Next they'll be wanting to tax my Lazy Bird, there's a limit....
I don't fly drones either. Our club bylaws only allow the flights of any rotary model such as a helicopter or drone while searching for winged models lost in the 7 foot high cornfield surrounding our flying field. At any other time, no rotary type models are allowed.

As usual, it's the 1/2 of 1% of the people that are causing 99.5% of the drone problems.

Take a look:
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...stered-n446266
Old 10-18-2015, 05:18 AM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Here's a little feedback.......nothing is set in stone, and even the 10-19-15 (proposed) announcement will only establish time frames and dealer requirements. There's still much to pull together before any regulation this wide spread can be put into motion or enforced..........:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/all...ion-2015-10-16
Old 10-18-2015, 06:54 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

First they would need to have a good definition of "drone"... Which doesn't really exist at this time.

Original meaning was an unguided, unmanned target for gunnery practice.
And they were fixed wing.
Old 10-18-2015, 12:40 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

towns around us are banning the flying of drones in all city park,this means all rc flight including fixed wing. living in the tri state area we have government paranoid folks making the rules. i say if you fly a drone over 400ft by ny/nj airport you should do jail time.

beaches are also banned flying in nj. theres a lot of police patrolling the beaches here.we'll here more on the registrations this monday. they have also invented a rifle type quad signal blocker that will cause a drone either to return to home or land when signal is lost. the times,they are a changing.

i picked out and list of quad parts to assemble a 650 size quad with bells and whistles and now really wonder if i want to be limited to my and local club fields only for video fun.

anyone try any of the Tarot quads 650 sport's ?
Old 10-18-2015, 01:45 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

The device to interfere with radio signal is illegal by definition. Violates the most basic FCC rule that prohibits purposeful interference with any radio signal.

It also has the flaw of depending on the quad having a return home or autoland feature... and the majority do not have that.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:50 PM
Bald Paul

My take on the issue is that any remotely-controlled aircraft will need a registration number on it. Similar to an AMA number, the number provides a link to the operator. In the event of irresponsible flying, hopefully that number could be seen and reported, and the operator charged. As it is now, (and especially with FPV) irresponsible flying is pretty much anonymous.
My planes all have my AMA number and contact information, so obviously I have no issue with it. I just hope the government will recognize AMA membership numbers as a legitimate form of "registration".
Old 10-19-2015, 09:47 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by Bald Paul View Post
My take on the issue is that any remotely-controlled aircraft will need a registration number on it. Similar to an AMA number, the number provides a link to the operator. In the event of irresponsible flying, hopefully that number could be seen and reported, and the operator charged. As it is now, (and especially with FPV) irresponsible flying is pretty much anonymous.
My planes all have my AMA number and contact information, so obviously I have no issue with it. I just hope the government will recognize AMA membership numbers as a legitimate form of "registration".
I like that idea!
Old 10-19-2015, 02:03 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

registration = fee = tax

Old 10-19-2015, 10:42 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Well here is today's announcement from the U.S Dept. of Transportation......:

https://www.transportation.gov/brief...t-registration

As suspected, just a task force selection to report back by November 20th.

Take note of the link provided at the www.transportation.gov site, related to the "in support" statements........not a word yet from AMA.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:45 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'd say 95% of the people affected by this have no idea what the AMA even is...
Old 10-20-2015, 02:09 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
registration = fee = tax

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I'd say 95% of the people affected by this have no idea what the AMA even is...
If the government accepts current AMA membership and AMA numbers as the form of "registration" it won't affect current AMA members at all.

AMA may actually see a rise in membership if that is the case. The cost of AMA membership may just prevent a lot of "Oooh, that looks cool, I can fly it (insert an area it's not supposed to be flown in here)" purchases. Of course, AMA membership alone will not prevent some of these fools that have caused this whole rukus to begin with from continuing to fly like idiots.

I would like to see the proposals for the registration requirements for all those already out there. Some forum posts I've read (not necessarily here) are full of opinions that they just won't, even if required to. Enforcement will be interesting on that. I fear that if even one refuses, and an 'unregistered' aircraft / drone / multirotor causes an accident, it's going to lead to even more scrutiny, and stronger measures, which may very well include a total ban.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:18 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I just don't see our corrupt gov't missing an opportunity to gather more money by charging to register.

This will end up costing us much more than our AMA memberships.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

And now a word from the AMA...

http://amablog.modelaircraft.org/ama...-registration/
Old 10-20-2015, 04:48 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

tolona,

Yes you do fly a drone. If you fly ANYTHING RC, it is a SUAS (Small unmanned aerial system) so dont get fooled that these new regestrations rules will only be for "Multi-Rotors".

And, heres me on the news today: http://www.10news.com/news/how-will-...pact-san-diego
Old 10-20-2015, 06:48 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Just a word about enactment of rules.

In UK when Motorbikes became the 17yr old mark ... 16'rs relegated to Mopeds, they also started up devising a scheme to reduce idiotic MB riding ...

To buy a Motorbike - you needed to attend a 1 day Intro riding course and then you could ride your precious new machine away. It included second-hand machines from dealers as well IF you didn't have full licence. The indicator was the Provisional Driving Licence and Ticket from course.

Basically what I am saying is Govt forced the Retail side to enact the training rule. Retail got a % of the course fee ... Govt got its cut ... person got a ticket to ride. Of course the idea was to educate the new rider to be sensible.

Why do I post this ? Its about the only way I can see something like the threads subject even starting to work. Without control at point of sale ... you are wasting time. As another said ... idiots will buy and do as they please.

So what to do ? Maybe a Sticker on the box in plain view ... REGISTRATION REQUIRED ... Hobby Shop putting together a flight session ?

It could be done ... just needs a bit of sense applied.

At end of day ... the idiots have created a problem for the vast majority and it will never go away. It will never return to the old days.

Isn't it interesting that in the days of noisy fuel models ... we had far less rules and regs ...

Nigel
Old 10-20-2015, 07:05 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

A major part of the issue is how cheap the hobby has become.

in the 1970's a beginner RC model with 4 channel AM radio cost about $500 by the time it was flying and you could buy a GOOD 3 yr old VW for $500 or a NEW VW for about $1300. Minimum wage was about $1.25.
That plane was worth 400 hours or 10 weeks full time income for some people...

Now you can get a fully functional quadcopter setup for under $150 and minimum wage is about $7.75 (and people are screaming for it to be $15) Under 20 hours full time at McDonalds and you have the money for the thing.

RC is looking more and more like a cheap toy instead of a serious hobby for people with good income and good education.

The lower it costs relative to average income, the more people buy them and the more that are out there the more people have opportunities to do stupid stuff with them.

We had some people do stupid stuff with models back in the 1970's... they broke the thing and quit because that was a very expensive mistake.

Now the things can fly themselves...
Old 10-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Yakfishingfool

Unfortunately regulation has to come in at some point. And since I have to take my shoes off at the airport because of one shoe bomb, and body scan because of one undies bomb, we are now all going to pay for a couple of schmucks that can't play nicely. Once it became plug and play/fly it became to easy, no skills, no practice time, up and flying like magic. See it in almost all hobbies. Boat has a wheel, must be like a car, idiots have no idea about the rules of the road. Same with "drones". Make it harder to fly and this problem will resolve itself.
Old 10-20-2015, 01:28 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I have read and re read the AMA statement and cant help but think they are on board with this. It sounds like they are continuing to push the Community based organization (them) to govern this.

What I am seeing is that if they have their way you MUST be an AMA member to register...

Interesting way of bolstering membership.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:24 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

AMA's elite does tend to think its AMA is the only way....

But I wouldn't trust them to deal with official LAW.

File a complaint about some of the AMA elite violating the rules and you'll be told to shut up.
I know, because I did file a complaint.
Old 10-20-2015, 02:55 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
AMA's elite does tend to think its AMA is the only way....

But I wouldn't trust them to deal with official LAW.

File a complaint about some of the AMA elite violating the rules and you'll be told to shut up.
I know, because I did file a complaint.
I know EXACTLY what you mean there...
Old 10-20-2015, 03:26 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I watched the news conference from the FAA site. What I can say is the DOT and APA are totally serious about this "registration".

First to those who protest. I understand your full rights to do so.

Some unasked advice to those protesting. I would NEVER ever EVER send an email, post in a thread, make a public comment about NOT following the required components of lawful action. Doing so is pretty unwise...

Frankly the penalties the FAA thinks (I think they will be legal) they can assign are very real and quite frankly could land you in jail or with very significant financial penalties. While you guys can "fist in the air" this stuff all you want, if you are ever involved in an incident this is the type of stuff that comes back to haunt you.

I think the FAA will have the authority to do this. Just be thankful we have the AMA and a few other groups working WITH us, the APA and FAA are strong and the APA has safety and lives on the line, including their own.

Something HAS TO BE DONE. I agree that this will make one more thing, for the lawful guys to have to do, when the real idiots, those who need to register won't do so.

Such is life - but once again we are held to a standard that the stupid require. If you want to stick your fist in the air go after they guys that are flying ABOVE landing airplanes, police heli's and air fire fighting. Also a good group of folks posting stupid stuff on YouTube.

So not sure why anyone is surprised here this has been brewing for some time...

Mike
Old 10-20-2015, 03:37 PM
waytooslow
Crash'em if you got 'em!

I still question FAA authority on this:

FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012

Sec. 336.

Special rule for model aircraft
(a)
In general

Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

(b)Statutory construction

Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.
(c)Model aircraft defined

In this section, the term "model aircraft" means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

That being said. this is still imho is nothing more that knee jerk reaction brought on by press. They act like there are millions in the skies. go out side, right now. chances are you will NOT find one in your area.Now look for birds - FAA strutting around. Hell it takes them years to get anything done on medical reform. a registration system in 2 months - doubtful
Old 10-20-2015, 04:00 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Since when has Congress passing a law really slowed down a government regulatory agency?
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

What worries me is that if the registration has an accompanying fee with it, like say car registration, it is going to be crazy expensive to register my 30+ airplanes...

No fees have been mentioned yet that I can find but I think we all know if there is any sort of paperwork to register then there is going to be a fee to go along with that. The gov't will never miss an opportunity to tax us again if they can.

I just don't see how this will be logistically possible. It will be another Gov't quagmire for sure.

Quick Reply: FAA To Require Drone Registration

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11573 seconds with 13 queries