Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Need advise on new plane

Old 02-24-2012, 08:06 PM
v_dub1968

Default Need advise on new plane

Hi guys im looking for a new 4+ channel foam plane along the lines of a cessna or piper cub. Im kinda looking at the Airfield 1400mm J-3 but im looking for real world advice on what plane might be a great plane thanks.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:02 PM
bbqflyer

If your looking for a good 4ch. trainer, I would go with a cessna or something with a larger wingloading, the j-3 has fairly narrow wings and are a little tricky to fly at first, at least from my experience. If your just looking for a good scale plane, there are several places to look. Tower hobbies, Hobby-lobby, but the airfields are decent as well and usually have some great scale features, just don't expect top customer support as you would from the bigger companies. I know this answer is sorta vague, but it depends on what your wanting, trainer or something scale.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

Take a look at the Multiplex FunCub.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:42 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Sounds like you're already an experienced rc pilot. For trainers I still have the AF 182 Cessna and the HZ SC that has gone through several mods but my most fun and reliable 4 channel is the PZ-T-28. Low wing but easy to fly with good performance characteristics. HK is now offering their Durafly version of the T-28 for ~ $139.00 in a PNP. It's got rave reviews. I'm thinking if the field suddenly rises up like it's known to do and I ever need to replace old reliable, I'd head in that direction.

Making scratchbuilt foamie Park Jets but am always subject to weak moments where I want to pop for an interesting ARF.

Good luck !

- Hawk
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 AM
v_dub1968

Hmm Multiplex FunCub looks like it might be a pretty decent plane
Im looking to replace my very worn HZ Supercub LP its the only high wing I have the rest are all low wing or 3d. Im looking for a sunday driver with some scale features LOL.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:15 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Originally Posted by v_dub1968 View Post
Hmm Multiplex FunCub looks like it might be a pretty decent plane
Im looking to replace my very worn HZ Supercub LP its the only high wing I have the rest are all low wing or 3d. Im looking for a sunday driver with some scale features LOL.

This is my sunday driver....lol...i got two, just NP.com is notorious for being out of stock if you need parts!!??!!
IMHO Pretty solid little 55" foamie, got a Cermark NeoDym-10 installed, bout 130watts/lb or so...little more scale I guess...nose gear is weak...think dahawk has same one or similar....

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...e-rtf-24g.html

cr
Old 02-25-2012, 03:32 AM
v_dub1968

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
This is my sunday driver....lol...i got two, just NP.com is notorious for being out of stock if you need parts!!??!!
IMHO Pretty solid little 55" foamie, got a Cermark NeoDym-10 installed, bout 130watts/lb or so...little more scale I guess...nose gear is weak...think dahawk has same one or similar....

http://www.nitroplanes.com/93a300-14...e-rtf-24g.html

cr
I like the looks of that plane alot but like you say NP is notorious for not having parts. Customer service sucks to. And I still buy from them LOL.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:24 AM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

Yep, just sometimes the customer just has to deal with it!!...after maybe 4 orders actually I've had pretty good luck, but you always hear about the horror stories!!

cr
Old 02-25-2012, 08:45 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

V-dub,
I have the AF 182 also. In fact, CR was an early mentor and guided me through the early phases. A lot of plane for the price ( Flaps, lights). I paid about $25 more for mine than what I saw advertised on your link. I didn't buy mine from NP, rather an ebay store. I've heard good things and bad things about NP but when it gets bad, go to their Facebook page to raise some hell. From the threads, problems seem to get resolved faster that way.

With our grass field, I replaced the wheels right away with some bigger 2.5" soft dubros. The stock wheels with skirts are scale looking but would not allow me to taxi on our field. The little antenna's are also nice looking but broke off right away. When you turn her on her back to get at the battery compartment, you break the antenna's .The struts break with hard landings. An easy fix with CA though. And when I broke off the scale looking spinner, I just left it off.

All in all, Airfield makes some nice planes. Not sure that the 182 is their best effort. I can't complain about the EPO foam. It repairs easy. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the ARF version versus the RTF. The TX is a paperweight. At the time of order, I didn't yet have my Futaba 6EX, which I got for free my boss. Nice boss !

Unlike the PZ T-28, it took me a while to get her fully trimmed but like CR, I still take her out for a Sunday drive once in a while. Fun to mount the keychain camera on her and do some patterns. Never really stressed her with rolls or loops but she's fully capable. Kind of a pain to get her in the back seat though. She's a big girl. I guess that sounds condescending-LOL

The HZ SC was the easiest flyer and have gone through several mods to soup her up. She's also my float plane.

It's funny how these planes all have their own personalities. They're like pets and all have their own place in the family.

I now mainly fly my scratchbuilt pusher parket jets ( F-22, F4B and F-15) and my $39.00 HK RadJet. Can load the entire squadron in the car including the T-28 for a full day of fun at the field.

Learned a lot very quickly by building them and I think they have made me a better pilot. Plus, they are a cheap date. With the scratchbuilds, I have about $60.00 invested in each plane including servos, motor and esc. Alot of sweat equity though. No real pucker factor yet like an EDF.

Good luck and let us know how you make out !

Hawk
Old 03-08-2012, 07:07 PM
NFA Fabrication

Have you considered an E-Flight Apprentice? It is a nice handling plane, and I commonly see it recommended as a good transition from the Super Cub. I love mine! I have added a ton of weight to mine, and it still flies like stock (Camera's, telemetry, a dropping mechanism, etc...)