Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ F4U Corsair

Old 03-12-2009, 07:53 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
I have a few questions on assembling the PZ F4U-4.

Did anyone glue the stabilizer on or use lock tight on the main wing screw?

I am having a problem trying to getting the spinner off to balance the prop & don't want to put to much pressure on it. How tight is it on or do I possiably have a cross threaded one?

Last for now, what hole is the aileron push rod in & did you have to crank in much trim to get them centered?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated
nah i didn't glue the stab on, i just used 4 small pieces of blenderm tape to secure it.

no locktite on metal-to-plastic unions.

you may have cross threaded it though remember it is counterthreaded to start with.

ailerons are in the last hole and very little sub trim was needed.
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by groundrushesup View Post
nah i didn't glue the stab on, i just used 4 small pieces of blenderm tape to secure it.

no locktite on metal-to-plastic unions.

you may have cross threaded it though remember it is counterthreaded to start with.

ailerons are in the last hole and very little sub trim was needed.

OK, thanks for the input.

Plane is assembled, prop balanced, ailerons are set to the bottom hole & 2.25" main gear wheels with matching tail wheel have been added.

Is the stock engine mounted with a bit of down thrust angle?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:37 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

OK, thanks for the input.

Plane is assembled, prop balanced, ailerons are set to the bottom hole & 2.25" main gear wheels with matching tail wheel have been added.

Is the stock engine mounted with a bit of down thrust angle?

quite a bit of down and right, actually. it will shock you the first time you have the cowl off.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

quite a bit of down and right, actually. it will shock you the first time you have the cowl off.
Very true. I was quite surprised at the angles.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:58 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Very true. I was quite surprised at the angles.

Glad to hear that, thought I had a bad mount.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:25 AM
moparmyway

Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
well i did it now. O.M.G. 2 is my super beef up corsair has reinforcements every where
new motor tests with a Scorpion 3026-8 http://www.innov8tivedesigns.com/pro...products_id=78

running a 10x7E APC prop
rhino 4s 3700MAH 20c
60 amp esc and sports bec
eagle tree speed tester
got it to 93MPH in a dive with a 3-5 MPH tail wind

WOW this is a fun plane
Papa,
If you have it, 11x11 on 3s-5000 is faster than 10x8 on 4s, and pulls 15a less!!!!!!
Mine isnt as loud as yours.................................I still think you picked the better 3026, but I will see if that 10x10 on 4s burns it down. First I have to swap in a Phoenix 125
Old 03-13-2009, 03:21 AM
papabatman

Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Papa,
If you have it, 11x11 on 3s-5000 is faster than 10x8 on 4s, and pulls 15a less!!!!!!
Mine isnt as loud as yours.................................I still think you picked the better 3026, but I will see if that 10x10 on 4s burns it down. First I have to swap in a Phoenix 125
wow. i did not know that. i will have to test some more, and try it next week keep me up to date with your results thanks
Old 03-13-2009, 07:45 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
How strange -- how could the Germans get their hands on a F4-U Corsair? Wasn't the Corsair limited to use in the Pacific theater?

The Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (FAA) was the first to use the F4U off aircraft carriers in both the Atlantic & Pacific. At the time USN did not fly them & the USMC only flew from land bases. The USN thought the planes were to dangerous for carrier operation & preferred the Hellcat.

The RN Corsairs had the wings shortened at the tips because of hanger deck clearance issues & they carried a big punch, 4X20MM cannon. We eventually used 4X20MM versions in Korea.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:09 AM
moparmyway

Originally Posted by papabatman View Post
wow. i did not know that. i will have to test some more, and try it next week keep me up to date with your results thanks
Ok Papa,
UPDATE: One very FRIED Phoenix 60 from a 11x11 on 3s-5000. I just glued in the Phoenix 125 and Eagletree monitors. I will also drop in my GPS like some pictures somewhere showed. The 60 is on its way to Castle for repair, I will drop that into something more docile when she returns.

I say again.....................please be carefull on 4s with that screamer, they are 60 killers!!!!!!!!!! I am not too sure if you were running the 60 or the 80?
Old 03-14-2009, 07:03 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Ok Papa,
UPDATE: One very FRIED Phoenix 60 from a 11x11 on 3s-5000. I just glued in the Phoenix 125 and Eagletree monitors. I will also drop in my GPS like some pictures somewhere showed. The 60 is on its way to Castle for repair, I will drop that into something more docile when she returns.

I say again.....................please be carefull on 4s with that screamer, they are 60 killers!!!!!!!!!! I am not too sure if you were running the 60 or the 80?

Here's your prop chart for that motor.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:05 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Well, folks, I have joined the ranks of PZ F4U owners. Picked up a RTF at a swap for $250. Prolly coulda gotten a better deal judging by how quick he took my offer, but such is life, eh?

Can NOT wait to get her assembled and flying. Between my F4U and E-Flite P-47, should be a fun summer!

So have you taken her up yet?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:30 AM
moparmyway

GRU,
WOW, that chart is not on the money with what I am getting for readings VIA Eagletree and Fluke. Also I dont exactely have that motor, mine is the HK version, which could be why I am getting different readings. I dont think you will find a prop chart for the HK version since she wuz made for upside-down lawnmowers.......uuhhhh.......sorry............. helicopters.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:08 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

So have you taken her up yet?
Gru, she is still in her box. Been working on another build, and busy gearing up for baseball/softball season. 'Tis a crazy time of year.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:51 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Gru, she is still in her box. Been working on another build, and busy gearing up for baseball/softball season. 'Tis a crazy time of year.
You got that right. I just took a week off of work for family time and a little flying - well it decided to rain every day with temps in the 40's. And I live in the desert, mind you. Week before last it was pushing 90.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

You got that right. I just took a week off of work for family time and a little flying - well it decided to rain every day with temps in the 40's. And I live in the desert, mind you. Week before last it was pushing 90.
Ugh. I am tired of cold and rain. 50 today, 55 tomorrow, 60 Monday, 65 Tuesday but rain. And I am off 'til Wednesday.

Wish the field wasn't so wet.
Old 03-14-2009, 07:53 PM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

GRU,
WOW, that chart is not on the money with what I am getting for readings VIA Eagletree and Fluke. Also I dont exactely have that motor, mine is the HK version, which could be why I am getting different readings. I dont think you will find a prop chart for the HK version since she wuz made for upside-down lawnmowers.......uuhhhh.......sorry............. helicopters.

Yeah that chart is specific to the Scorpion motor that PB is using. They are much better motors and hence the disparity in stats. I thought you were using the Scorpion as well.
Old 03-14-2009, 09:36 PM
moparmyway

Yeah that chart is specific to the Scorpion motor that PB is using. They are much better motors and hence the disparity in stats. I thought you were using the Scorpion as well.
Mine is his in the Helicopter version. He has 2 more RPM/volt, 10 more amp capacity, but mine has 350 watts on his. They sound different, but perform allmost identical. I am willing to wager that if/when he measures amp/volts/watts/rpm.................we are close enough to be the same!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Can this size battery - 3200mAh 3S 11.1V 20C - be used in the stock F4U? I have this one in my E-Flite T-34, need to get a few extras & would like to get the same size if I can.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:39 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Can this size battery - 3200mAh 3S 11.1V 20C - be used in the stock F4U? I have this one in my E-Flite T-34, need to get a few extras & would like to get the same size if I can.
Really too big for the Corsair. So rather than that get the 1800/2100 packs for the Corsair - and double them up for the T-34.

That will work better and the t-34 will like the extra time on two packs.

Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 11:57 AM
moparmyway

It all depends on how you like your soup.........
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3616.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	96307  
Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
get the 1800/2100 packs for the Corsair - and double them up for the T-34.

That will work better and the t-34 will like the extra time on two packs.

Mike
Hi Mike,

Sounds good since they are a lot less expensive then the 3200's

Real new guy question - how do you double them up?

BTW The F4U wants a rate of 15C & the T-34 20C, will that be an issue?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:04 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Hi Mike,

Sounds good since they are a lot less expensive then the 3200's

Real new guy question - how do you double them up?
You make an adapter to connect two as one - a parallel adapter. It allows you to connect both batteries (equally charged - this is important!) to your speed controller. Just like a "Y" harness for two servos.

What connector do you use?

Mike
Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM
BEAR-AvHistory
RDRC

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
What connector do you use?

Mike
All my stuff right now except for the Hyperion battery charger is Horizion sourced & has EC3 connectors.
Old 03-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Bad_B

Default Motor Mounts Cracking

Hi Everyone,

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts that grew out of my original flight report!

I wanted to add an update to my E-Flite Power 10 motor upgrade, or rather problems with the PZ motor mount cracking from the torque stress. After flying for several months with the Power 10 upgrade I crashed (battery without Velcro ejected while yanking and banking) and had to replace the motor mount. I did my pre-flight check, slowly spun up the motor and everything looked and sounded good, but halfway through my shakedown flight a rattling noise popped up. I landed and sure enough the motor mount had cracked. As a side note that same thing happened on my T-28 with a Power 10 upgrade. I find it a little strange that after successfully upgrading and flying for several months I now have consecutive cracked motor mounts. Rather than go through a failure analysis of: did you do this that or another? I just thought I'd give folks a heads up about this issue.

Cheers,

Brian
Old 03-23-2009, 07:40 PM
moparmyway

Originally Posted by Bad_B View Post
Hi Everyone,

I've really enjoyed reading all the posts that grew out of my original flight report!

I wanted to add an update to my E-Flite Power 10 motor upgrade, or rather problems with the PZ motor mount cracking from the torque stress. After flying for several months with the Power 10 upgrade I crashed (battery without Velcro ejected while yanking and banking) and had to replace the motor mount. I did my pre-flight check, slowly spun up the motor and everything looked and sounded good, but halfway through my shakedown flight a rattling noise popped up. I landed and sure enough the motor mount had cracked. As a side note that same thing happened on my T-28 with a Power 10 upgrade. I find it a little strange that after successfully upgrading and flying for several months I now have consecutive cracked motor mounts. Rather than go through a failure analysis of: did you do this that or another? I just thought I'd give folks a heads up about this issue.

Cheers,

Brian
Bad B,
You do not say weather or not you have balanced your props
I have run the power 15 and 13x10 props on 4s...........no cracked mount!!! I would look at balancing as the culprit.

Quick Reply: PZ F4U Corsair

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14624 seconds with 11 queries