3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Old 08-09-2008, 05:40 PM
ovaleye

Originally Posted by winmanair View Post
Why bother to even make a pattern when the plane is sooo cheap at only $11 bucks?

BTW, finished mine, and hopefully will test fly it this coming weekend.
Not $11 bucks any more ...$23.90... I bought 4 on sale and they fly pretty good so I was going to get some for the grand kids to practice with ...
To late
Old 08-09-2008, 06:49 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Yup, they's gone
Budget blue foam planes will always be cheap though......get out yer exactos!!

Ray
Old 08-09-2008, 07:32 PM
ovaleye

Originally Posted by Wrench66 View Post
Yup, they's gone
Budget blue foam planes will always be cheap though......get out yer exactos!!

Ray
Yep but it was nice having all the bits and pieces and pre cut for $11
Old 08-17-2008, 09:45 AM
winmanair

Man, I need the $11 el cheapo price back. Took mine out to the park, and had the elevator's reversed and smacked it very hard into the ground, ripping off the motor and the whole front end into a million pieces. Can't even put it back together again. Looks like I gotta get another one.

Hobby Lobby needs to put the price back at $11 bucks, or I probably won't buy another one. This is my second plane that ends in disaster. At least I had my 450 Heli to fly around.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:09 PM
ovaleye

I order a 32" $15 and a 40" $19
Hope the fly as nice as the others
http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V972623
Old 08-18-2008, 01:48 AM
soundbound

Default built one of these beast!

I read this thread over and over until I finally ordered all of the supplys to build this plane. As a quick background I have been away from RC planes for 10 years and used to fly gas powered ones. I recieved all of the parts to complete the yak by noon friday. I took it to the local high school for a test run saturday morning. I was a little concerned about sending the plane on its maiden flight by hand launch but it turned out well. I was amazed how fast this thing flys! I am a hugh fan of 3D foamies now and may need to pick up a few more. Great info everyone.
Old 08-18-2008, 02:53 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Right on soundbound, glad to hear it went well for ya. I finally ordered everything this weekend, I payed for EMS so we'll see how long it takes to get here.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:36 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Man, I need the $11 el cheapo price back. Took mine out to the park, and had the elevator's reversed and smacked it very hard into the ground, ripping off the motor and the whole front end into a million pieces. Can't even put it back together again. Looks like I gotta get another one.
Ouch, WMA... sorry to hear that. I had a similiar thing happen to me once (aileron servos reversed). It didn't result in major damage, but it scared me enough that I do my pre-flight checks religiously now. Hopefully, none of your electrics were damaged, so you can just pick up another plane body and transplant them into that.

Hobby Lobby needs to put the price back at $11 bucks, or I probably won't buy another one. This is my second plane that ends in disaster. At least I had my 450 Heli to fly around.
These foamies used to get listed as a Hobby Lobby Wednesday Crash Sale item every so often. Maybe they'll go back on sale before too much longer. If they do, I'll probably take the opportunity to pick up 2 or three more.

As an alternative, you might also try catching the Rhythm 3D from Hobby People when it's on sale. Regular price is $24.99, but they go on sale pretty often for $14.99. You can use the exact same power system from your Yak in the Rhythm.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:40 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by soundbound View Post
I read this thread over and over until I finally ordered all of the supplys to build this plane. As a quick background I have been away from RC planes for 10 years and used to fly gas powered ones. I recieved all of the parts to complete the yak by noon friday. I took it to the local high school for a test run saturday morning. I was a little concerned about sending the plane on its maiden flight by hand launch but it turned out well. I was amazed how fast this thing flys! I am a hugh fan of 3D foamies now and may need to pick up a few more. Great info everyone.
Glad to hear you had a good experience with the Yak. I hope you get in at least as many great flights with it as I have.
Old 08-18-2008, 07:27 AM
winmanair

All my electronics are good to go. Even the prop didn't break amazingly. I like that Rythm 3D foamy and might try that next. Originally I was gonna get that one, but saw this thread and liked the Hobby Lobby one better.

I guess I'll wait n see which one goes on sale first. No real hurry to get a plane flying again.
Old 08-18-2008, 03:48 PM
gyrocptr

You can repair your plane. I replaced the whole front end with three pieces of ~1/4 inch thick, foam material that I cut from left-over trays that had been used to package baked goods. 1 horizontal "cheek" piece, 1 chin-piece, 1 top piece.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	HL repair1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	455.7 KB
ID:	75643   Click image for larger version

Name:	HL repair2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	446.0 KB
ID:	75644  
Old 08-18-2008, 04:20 PM
winmanair

Originally Posted by gyrocptr View Post
You can repair your plane. I replaced the whole front end with three pieces of ~1/4 inch thick, foam material that I cut from left-over trays that had been used to package baked goods. 1 horizontal "cheek" piece, 1 chin-piece, 1 top piece.
Wow, nice job. Your break looks the same as mine. Seems to be the weak point of the plane.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:40 PM
gyrocptr

Wow, nice job. Your break looks the same as mine. Seems to be the weak point of the plane.
In my view it's not a "weak" point. I'm glad the front-end disintegrated into smithereens. The break-up absorbed all of the energy, and cushioned/saved the motor, electronics and 80% of the plane.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:37 PM
soundbound

Default connecting propeller to motor

Just wondering how everyone connects the propeller to the motor on these YAKS. I was in a hurry to get mine flying so I used the two small nuts supplied with the engine. This is not a good idea. After two flights I managed to set the throttle high enough to strip the threads on the engine (nuts came loose). The only solution I found was to glue the prop in place. Works great now, but not real pretty.
Old 08-18-2008, 05:46 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I like using a prop saver on my foamies. Here's a thread showing how I do it.

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31473
Old 08-18-2008, 05:55 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by soundbound View Post
Just wondering how everyone connects the propeller to the motor on these YAKS. I was in a hurry to get mine flying so I used the two small nuts supplied with the engine. This is not a good idea. After two flights I managed to set the throttle high enough to strip the threads on the engine (nuts came loose). The only solution I found was to glue the prop in place. Works great now, but not real pretty.
I just used one of these from HobbyCity.com. Best 50 cents you can spend on a part, imo. I secured it to the shaft as close as I could get it to the engine housing, then cut off the shaft, leaving only about 1/8" exposed past the end of the prop saver. Then, just strap on your 1047, 9047, or 8038 GWS SF prop using the included rubber O-ring, and you're good to go. I bend my prop over on landings with my Yak all the time, and I just love the way it gives in and leans with the ground, until I pick it up and it just snaps right back into place.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 PM
winmanair

I think instead of ordering another plane for replacement, I'm going to look for an EPP Foamy.

Anybody know of any good places to get an EPP Foamy in similar look to this budget foamy?
Old 08-19-2008, 09:40 PM
ekdenton
highdesert flyer

I think instead of ordering another plane for replacement, I'm going to look for an EPP Foamy.

Anybody know of any good places to get an EPP Foamy in similar look to this budget foamy?
I have bought EPP foam from this guy.
http://epp540.com/index.php?option=c...d=19&Itemid=43

The EPP foam has it's good and bad points. Good thing is it is tougher to damage, bad thing is it is alot more flexible than the foam the yak is made out of. To make a EPP yak the same size (if it could be done successfully) would take alot of carbon to make it stiff enough to fly IMHO. On the website listed above check out the 22" micro slofly. I have built and have been flying one of those for about a month now. I have been getting about 4-5 flights a day. I have had numerous bumps and a head on with a 4" steel pipe, also ran into a barbwire fence, and hit the ground at close to 45 degree angle a few times running pretty hot, and I can not seem to break it beyond simple epoxy fixes. I am running a rimfire 22m on it now but have ordered this motor http://lightflightrc.com/s for it because it is lighter and has close to the same power. It is stable, great 3D plane rolls as straight as a dart, and does very well flying at slow speed. There are larger versions but so far I have only done the 22" I have made an 18" Cap out of the EPP foam, but I won't be able to say how well it flies until I get the rest of my parts for it.

Name:	ed's slowfly micro 22.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	75818   Click image for larger version

Name:	my experimental Cap 232 foamie.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	509.6 KB
ID:	75819  
Old 08-20-2008, 02:21 AM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Right on soundbound, glad to hear it went well for ya. I finally ordered everything this weekend, I payed for EMS so we'll see how long it takes to get here.
I got everything to get it together...just need to stop flying my other planes long enough to build it.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:20 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

I decided to go ahead and make a Yak from PBIII considering other than a few brief moments of success I still haven't had a plane that I can consistently hover. Maybe wear a couple these out first before I put the purty one together.

Name:	DSCN2427 (Medium).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	75896  
Old 08-20-2008, 04:28 PM
winmanair

Well guys, I pulled the trigger on an EPP Plane. My Hobby Lobby plane basically get really trashed when you pull out the servo's. Its just really fragile. Then when I was putting it up on a high shelf, part of the wing broke also. So much for that.

Here's what I ordered next:

MC Composite Blade Dancer EPP -Airbrush

http://www.mscompositusa.com/blade-dancer-airbrush.html

Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
I decided to go ahead and make a Yak from PBIII considering other than a few brief moments of success I still haven't had a plane that I can consistently hover. Maybe wear a couple these out first before I put the purty one together.
Absolutely my thinking as well, Smoke. I had never flown a flattie much less any 3D so I wasn't sure if my HL Yak would last through my learning phase so I grabbed some PB3 and went to work.
I had a great maiden and am now modifying a few of the cut outs into other styles of planes (the aft plane in the pic is a P51D model) for other club members. These are a lot of fun......I use the Navy plane to practice in wind, I'm learning quickly

have fun!
Ray

Name:	Blue foam flatties2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	75901  
Old 08-21-2008, 07:36 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Well guys, I pulled the trigger on an EPP Plane. My Hobby Lobby plane basically get really trashed when you pull out the servo's. Its just really fragile. Then when I was putting it up on a high shelf, part of the wing broke also. So much for that.

Here's what I ordered next:

MC Composite Blade Dancer EPP -Airbrush

http://www.mscompositusa.com/blade-dancer-airbrush.html

Ouch... $55+shipping. I think I'll stick with my little cheap-O foamies.

Although I have to admit, I love the artwork on that plane. And I just know I would have a blast deliberately running it wing first into telephone poles and watching it spin-bounce right off without any major damage.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:49 PM
winmanair

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Ouch... $55+shipping. I think I'll stick with my little cheap-O foamies.

Although I have to admit, I love the artwork on that plane. And I just know I would have a blast deliberately running it wing first into telephone poles and watching it spin-bounce right off without any major damage.
I figured I might as well invest in a foamy that is a little more durable. I already have all the electronics that I can swap out.

After flying heli's for over a year, planes are pocket change compared to them. A heli at least cost $500 bucks to get flying, while a foamy u can get away with murder at $150 to fly!!!!
Old 08-24-2008, 06:47 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Wooohoooooo!!!!! Finally I found my plane to learn 3D on. I had 2 great flights this morning. Knife edge the length of the field and controlled hovering . The knife edge looked great, I need to work on throttle management on hovering because I slowly but surely keep gaining more and more altitude (had the same problem on FMS) but it looked good and was a blast. I'd also like to bring the knife edge down to about head height...all in due time. I love this plane and set up .

If the winds die down I'll put on my "HatCam" later and try to get some video.

Quick Reply: Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.11457 seconds with 17 queries