3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Old 07-28-2008, 02:52 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Has anybody else seen anything like this yet? If it is true how long do the Olympic games last
Huh... I wonder what the cause for this is? Is China going to be diverting its entire infrastructure to making sure that the games go smoothly? Or are they just so desperate to clear out the smog that they're putting a short-term moratorium on all non-essential commerce?

In any case, it wouldn't be so bad if it was just for the Summer Olympics; that's going to last from 8/8 thru 8/24. However, the Paralympics don't even start until 9/6 and run thru 9/17. So anyone wanting some cheap Hong Kong imports better hurry up and get on the horn ASAP if they want to get their order before Halloween.

Thanks for the heads up on that one, smoke. (And speaking of "Heads Up", I'll bet Jeff at HURC isn't too depressed at this news. )
Old 07-28-2008, 03:45 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

It's hard to say though...I found this on HC's site. Who knows watt the truth is.

During the 2008 China Olympic games our warehouse and HK postal and customs system will be operating as normal.
We have been assured by the Hong Kong Postmaster that there will be no interruption or issue in deliveries caused by the Olympic games during this period.
I'll probably just take my chances and go ahead and order the motor.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:45 PM
winmanair

Hey guys, I found the AR6100e receiver for $39 at Todds Models. You have to add it to your cart to get it at that price.

http://www.toddsmodels.com/product_p/spmar6100e.htm

They also have the HS-55's for $10 each. Great deal!!

http://www.toddsmodels.com/product_p/hs55.htm
Old 07-30-2008, 05:54 PM
winmanair

Man, I'm still waiting for my freaken foamy. Hobby Lobby sure has the worst shipping options. You pay like 8 bucks for crap slow shipping. They really need to change to at least USPS Priority Mail that is cheaper, and faster for us guys that live in Calli.

I even already got my stuff from Hobby City, all the way in China.

BTW, the earthquake we got was a freaken rattle from hell. Damm was it strong.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:04 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by winmanair View Post
Man, I'm still waiting for my freaken foamy. Hobby Lobby sure has the worst shipping options. You pay like 8 bucks for crap slow shipping. They really need to change to at least USPS Priority Mail that is cheaper, and faster for us guys that live in Calli.

I even already got my stuff from Hobby City, all the way in China.
Lol... that's too funny. You should send them an email telling them that. But that is strange--HL has been good about getting my stuff shipped out pretty quick in the past. Of course, I only live about 50 miles from their warehouse outside Nashville, so maybe that makes a difference.

BTW, the earthquake we got was a freaken rattle from hell. Damm was it strong.
Really glad to hear that you're OK! I was talking to a pilot friend of mine who was in LA when it struck, and he said he was actually surprised at how mild it seemed. Of course, he was out in the street and not in a building at the time, so maybe that makes a big difference.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:01 AM
JaxFlyer

I just built mine, the only things I am waiting on is my motor and esc!!! I will post some pics this week, it was a very easy build!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:11 AM
winmanair

I'm finishing my build. I had to get some new glue as the X-1 glue works like crap, and is very messy. Now I got the Zapo CA that is so much better.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:42 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I had my first major mishap with this plane on Wednesday. I was flying it inverted about 15 feet off the ground and decided I had just enough room to do a half flip towards the ground and pull the nose back up level. But right about the time I went to flip it back level, a gust of wind pushed up against the top of the plane right as it was pointing downward--killing my ability to lift the nose--and it smacked almost straight into the ground. Broke the 1047 prop, even with the prop saver. So walking over to it, I'm thinking, "Ouch--this sucks; but at least I can get another one for cheap and just transplant the electrics."

But lo and behold, other than a clean 5" crack in the port wing right where it goes into the fuselage, the plane seemed mostly unharmed. The foam around the nose was very slightly wrinkled, but no breaks. Took it inside, used some Sumo glue on the break, waited an hour, and it was good to go again, and flew just like nothing ever happened. Or at least, the PLANE flew like nothing ever happened; I decided I wasn't going to do any more inverted harriers near the ground for the rest of the day.

So I guess this little plane is a bit more sturdy than I gave it credit for. Granted, I wasn't going full speed into the ground (I lowered to 1/4 throttle when I went to flip it around), but it hit hard enough break the prop and eject the battery from the industrial velcro I used to keep it held in place. So in any case--even more kudos to HL for their little 3D foamie Yak.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:35 PM
Ohio AV8TOR

What is this Yak made from 3/16" Foam Core board? Is the skin paper or stronger?
Old 08-02-2008, 04:34 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
What is this Yak made from 3/16" Foam Core board? Is the skin paper or stronger?
Yes, I believe it's 3/16" foam board, but with a very thin clear plastic skin.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
HeadMaster

Originally Posted by Ohio AV8TOR View Post
Hey Ohio, for the $ I figure its worth a go....Im gonna biuld one of the 2 I got this week !
Old 08-03-2008, 05:52 PM
Drifter92

check out www.ultimatefoamies.com for more planes
Old 08-03-2008, 10:39 PM
winmanair

Originally Posted by Drifter92 View Post
check out www.ultimatefoamies.com for more planes

Sorry, but that web site does not work. Maybe they went out of business?
Old 08-06-2008, 02:11 AM
JaxFlyer

This build is extremely easy!!! Here are my first steps I will post some of my late steps later this week, seems like this plane is gonna be good!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1st Step.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	74634   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nd Step.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	74635  
Old 08-06-2008, 08:13 PM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Default Make copies

I bought the same kit since it was so inexpensive and many good reviews are posted.......I wanted to learn 3D flight too
I went ahead and made a few copies of the Yak out of blue foam so I could practice flying it before building the actual thing (sounded like a good idea) I've been having a ball with the copy doing manouvers I have never attempted on my other planes....reg and inverted flat spin, knife edge (on purpose this time! lol) and really fast aileron rolls. Now I can get some practice using the rudder in flight too (not just for take off and landing anymore).
I am using hl's 400xt they had on crash sale a few weeks back......works OK on 900mh 2s with a 10x6 prop....will JUST hover at full throttle.....I also got a bit carried away with the hot glue and increased the AUW to 12oz. No hot melt on the next one.....promise!

hehe

Ray
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	6-24-08.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	74658   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1373.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	74659  
Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Glad to hear that you've had a good experience so far, Wrench. I wish now that I had thought to make a few copies myself. Now I'll need to buy another one just to use as a pattern to make some more out of my BlueCor.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:43 AM
winmanair

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Glad to hear that you've had a good experience so far, Wrench. I wish now that I had thought to make a few copies myself. Now I'll need to buy another one just to use as a pattern to make some more out of my BlueCor.
Why bother to even make a pattern when the plane is sooo cheap at only $11 bucks?

BTW, finished mine, and hopefully will test fly it this coming weekend.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:41 AM
Wrench66
Ya' need to use mo rudda!

Why bother to even make a pattern when the plane is sooo cheap at only $11 bucks?

BTW, finished mine, and hopefully will test fly it this coming weekend.
It's true, your right $11......just sumthing I do I suppose, I scratchbuild all the time but never had a templet to use so it's just too easy. I just did another tonight but changed some of the angles and made a kinda 3D FW190 out of it. Adolf never tried to harrier 6ft off the deck but I might!!!
Teaching myself the right way to build......the light way LOL

Ray
Old 08-08-2008, 10:05 PM
JaxFlyer

I got mine completely built except for electronics and I am waiting on my motor from hobbycity(its taken a long time!!!). But I am having a problem with a servo(aileron servo), it seems that when I move right stick on the controller left or right and then let go of the stick into the nuetral position, the servo starts this shaking type thing... Anybody know whats wrong with it because it is fixable because I have not glued anything?!?!?!
Thanks
Old 08-08-2008, 10:09 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Try a click of trim one way or the other. Doesn't always work but it's worth a try.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 AM
JaxFlyer

That didnt work, do you think it is shaking because it is not secure tightly in the slot???
Old 08-09-2008, 06:08 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by JaxFlyer View Post
That didnt work, do you think it is shaking because it is not secure tightly in the slot???
Some of the cheaper servos can have this chattering problem when the servo is trimmed to rest at a spot where the sensor inside it is sort of "in-between" positions. You can usually fix this by doing as was suggested earlier--adjust the trim a bit so that it will center off of that point. However, it's also possible that the servo is just defective.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:22 PM
autorail1

I have no complaints at all with them. I have many orders with them. Great Prices.
Thanks for the link guys. Great stuff...

After looking all those over, I might have to try HobbyCity after all.

I've found these blue KDA Outrunners that I really like. Can you guys please help me pick which one would be the right fit?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...1&ParentCat=59

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-09-2008, 04:25 PM
JaxFlyer

This is a spektrum digital servo not a cheapy.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:14 PM
Alpea42
Parkjets Rule 3D Rocks

some digital servos chatter alot

Quick Reply: Ultimate Budget 3D Foamie

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13181 seconds with 16 queries