3D Flying Discuss everything related to "3D" flying including construction, power setups and flying techniques

Precision Aerobatics Addiction X

Old 09-18-2013, 04:55 PM
squidger

Just came across this vid on youtube and it clearly shows the aileron issue. If you look at it you can see the ailerons are faired at the tips and raised at the roots.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAGW-oAZ4ik[/media]
Old 09-18-2013, 05:13 PM
squidger

In this vid the guy has set the ailerons up to fair at the root and you can clearly see the droop at the tip.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mp8LpMgSYUw[/media]
Old 09-18-2013, 06:14 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Yep, I see it clearly in the videos. That either means it's designed that way 'or' it's a common fault. Personally I think it's the latter and if it were mine I'd pull the twist out of the wings and/or ailerons. IMHO there is no reason why a 3D model would have washout because it will inevitably impair inverted performance. But each to their own.

Did you get any response from PA?
Old 09-19-2013, 07:08 PM
squidger

PA say it is normal and to set up ailerons at wing tips then sight the roots from the rear and subtrim to the same level. Will test fly Saturday weather permitting now that I have fitted decent servos that return to same centre each time lol

Mind you if you set up at wingtips and roots aren't level then somethings twisted.
Old 09-19-2013, 07:58 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

If it were mine I'd still pull the twist out because I think (heck I'm sure!) PA are wrong. Call me cynical, but if this is a widespread issue then PA would say it was ok as the last thing they want is a glut of wings to replace on warranty. If it was designed that way then it would obviously say something about it in the manual, I'd put cash down that it doesn't!

Also if it is designed that way it appears to be a 'feature' missing from the official rollout model that PA used to announce the Addiction X: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=addict

To be fair there are different ways to look as something like this. PA might well view it as being within manufacturing tolerances and so 'normal'. Providing it still flies 'ok' then I suppose there is a good argument that it is ok. Me being a bit of a perfectionist I'd not be happy.

Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; 09-19-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM
squidger

Flew it extensively today and the new servos have cured the need for constant trimming. It flies superbly and can be slowed down to nothing with ease. Put 5 batteries through it and thoroughly enjoyed myself. All landings were greasers and really slow. Had it knifedging and inverted a couple of feet off ground really easily. Hovers well too. My only gripe is even with the stupid amount of aileron movement I have it still doesn't roll very quickly. Probably due to the slower airspeed with the 14 x 7 prop fitted. Gonna fit the vortex generators tomorrow and see what difference it makes. Very pleased with it.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:32 AM
p91304

Default My setup on the Addiction

Rear mount servo and other ideas.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuzRWgEdn3k[/media]
Old 09-29-2013, 11:12 AM
squidger

I have a similar setup. I fitted a heavier motor so needed weight in the tail and don't like pull/pull rudders so went for rear servo like you. Works perfectly.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:19 PM
Raymo99

Default xMAX anyone?

Has anoyne used the supplier 4MAX for their Addiction X kit?
It looks to use Purple Power parts...

Any feedback appriciated.

Thanks
R.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:02 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

4-Max is a decent business, I've got a fair bit of stuff from George.. But you need to realise that those 'purple power' motors are just cheap XYH low spec motors, with purple anodising. You can get exactly the same motor from GiantShark for half the price: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...less-outrunner

There are a couple of design issues that you would want to consider too.. First it's about 30-40g heavier than the recommended PA motor, which would probably make the model nose heavy, then the bolt pattern is the XYH standard of two bolts on 25mm centres and two on 19mm centres. This wont fit the Addiction because it's drilled for all four bolts on 25mm centres. You can of course re-drill but it weakens the mount plate.

If it were my model I'd treat it to a good motor. The Hacker A30-14L V3 would be perfect and would not require re-drilling. On a budget the E-max GT2820 850kv is a decent motor and would fit without mods. Giant shark are out of stock but you might get one elsewhere: http://www.giantshark.co.uk/product/...rushless-motor
Old 01-25-2014, 03:28 PM
Raymo99

Thanks for that very informative reply.
I think your right about the motor, best play it safe and get the recommended model.

Cheers,
Ray
Old 02-11-2014, 05:12 AM
crobar

Do the current green X's come in the light green or dark green color? Also is the pull pull hardware included with the basic air frame package? Thanks
Old 02-11-2014, 06:09 AM
squidger

I think its a darker green. Yes the pull pull accessories came with my airframe only kit.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:36 AM
crobar

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
I think its a darker green. Yes the pull pull accessories came with my airframe only kit.
Thanks - For some reason I just can't find a place on the PA website where they simply specify all that is in the accessory kit for the basic airframe. It would help in preventing any double parts purchasing. I'm guessing that the prop adapter that is set up as an option is not the fancy German made one. Is that correct?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:46 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

You dont get the prop adapter with the kit or even with the PA Thrust motor, you have to buy it seperatly, or get it with the 'IPA' package.

But to be honest, I'd just buy a 'normal' one. Except for the price there is nothing at all special about the one PA sells. The best collet prop adapters I've used are Hacker, they are steel rather than soft aluminium.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:04 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

squidger hope you are still around. Well now that I got a couple of years under my belt I am looking at my 4th plane. I have a Visionaire, ready for an upgrade, and TAG PA Addiction X is IT. Just ordered it.

Anyway hope you see this because I could use some help from you and other members as this is my first build in quite some time. I have the skills, built a lot of different types of models as a kid, teen, and young adult. Built a couple of Balsa planes in my 20's. Wished I still had the tools dang it. One Paper/Dope and a couple of Monokote's

With that said using your razor sharp 20/20 hind site vision what is the first thing you can tell me about building this thing?

I have watched all the Build Videos PA has. My concerns after watching are Servo's and Warped parts.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:08 PM
squidger

Sorry Derek, been away a while with work commitments etc. The Airframe comes ready built and all you need do is hinge the ailerons elevators and rudder, fit servos, attach wings and horizontal stab to airframe,fit running gear and radio and set up neutrals etc. You say you have a visionaire already. I have both and am not convinced the addiction X is an upgrade from the Visionaire. They are both great models and have the ability to fly full 3D. The visionaire will fly faster and the Addiction will be easier to 3D at a slower pace. The Addiction doesn't handle wind as well as the Visionaire though. I have just bought the Bravado for 3D flying and am having fun with that at much less cost than the Addiction.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:20 AM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by squidger View Post
Sorry Derek, been away a while with work commitments etc. The Airframe comes ready built and all you need do is hinge the ailerons elevators and rudder, fit servos, attach wings and horizontal stab to airframe,fit running gear and radio and set up neutrals etc. You say you have a visionaire already. I have both and am not convinced the addiction X is an upgrade from the Visionaire. They are both great models and have the ability to fly full 3D. The visionaire will fly faster and the Addiction will be easier to 3D at a slower pace. The Addiction doesn't handle wind as well as the Visionaire though. I have just bought the Bravado for 3D flying and am having fun with that at much less cost than the Addiction.
Thanks but already built. My biggest issue during the build was that POS Pull-Pull Rudder system. I ended up making my own system with different hardware.

As for the Visionaire vs Adiction I se your point, but the Addiction IMO is a much easier plane to fly. I can do things with it I cannot do with my Visionaire. What I will not like, is when I do crash the Addiction at some point. I have crashed the Visionaire a few times, and it is real easy to repair.

As for the Addiction not handling wind I might have to differ with you. The Visionaire has a Gyro RX as you know that turns the wind off. Well I used a Spektrum AR636 RX in the Addiction which is an upgrade to the 636 the Visionaire uses. Took a while to gget it tuned up to my liking, but now I have it about zeroed in. Knife Edges, Hovering, and Harriers are pretty much thumbs off and just a matter of throttle control. I have it so well tuned in, landing is done at 0 Ground speed. Just put it into a high angle Harrier and use the throttle to touch down gently at almost no or little ground speed. You just have to adjust the attack angle to match the wind. I can even Hover land it by snatching it out of the air in front of me.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:37 AM
squidger

Sounds like you got it sorted. I too didn't like the rudder pull pull system so fitted a servo in the tail with direct linkage. I don't have any giro's in my addiction but what I meant by it not handling the wind well is the fact that it flies slower than the Visionaire easier in less wind but doesn't seem to penetrate high winds as well as the Visionaire. Sounds like you are having fun flying 3D with both and thats what counts. Enjoy.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:48 PM
jobu

I love mine. I haven't flown it in a while but hope to put a gyro into it. I have a Multiplex Acromaster which I might try the stabilizer first to work out the bugs. Any suggestions in trial run setup?
Old 01-13-2016, 10:26 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jobu View Post
I love mine. I haven't flown it in a while but hope to put a gyro into it. I have a Multiplex Acromaster which I might try the stabilizer first to work out the bugs. Any suggestions in trial run setup?
What RX do you have? I have mine pretty well tuned in, but it is a Spektrum AR636. So unless yours is the same, not sure I can help.

What I can tell you is start slow and work your way up. Set the gains too high, and you will crash. I already know one guy who initially set his to high, and crashed. You want to leave at least one Flight Mode with no gyros as your safe Flight Mode. So once you go into Gyro mode and th eplane mis behaves you can switch back to Normal Flight Control and save the plane.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:17 AM
jobu

I have a Hitec which is FHSS (?). I was trying to find a rx that has it built in but no luck.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:25 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jobu View Post
I have a Hitec which is FHSS (?). I was trying to find a rx that has it built in but no luck.
FHSS stands for Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum and is a generic term for any system that jumps between different frequencies. All current 2.4GHz RC systems use some form of FHSS but they are not cross compatible, to work with a specific radio brand generally you need the same brand of receiver.

The simple solution to your need is to use a separate stabilisation unit that will work alongside your Hitec receiver. I've recently been testing the 'HobbyEagle A3 II super' and would highly recommend it. You can get them from Banggood among other places, they are very cheap but perform brilliantly and have all the features of the higher priced units, and more.

There is a thread on the Hobbyeagle here:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...ht=hobby+eagle
Old 01-14-2016, 08:27 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I recc'd the Hobby Eagle Super II as well ... well I should do - I started the thread over here !!

I have used gyros in the 80's in Heli's ... through to todays Orange units and the HE Super II blows the socks of them.

IF you buy ... the first one to get is the Complete system with hand held Programming box. Once you have that system ... next purchases can be the Super II without programming box saving a few dollars.

I am swapping my fleet over to this unit steadily .....

Nigel
Old 01-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Panther
Super Contributor

I went this route as I didn't want the program box nor having to hook up to the puter. (and I am cheap)
I ordered it 3 days ago and it arrived from China today!
So I threw it in my Reaktor and went and had some fun. It uses a button system to program it and it was a very easy system. I like it. No mucking with cables etc and like the super you can make changes at the field if necessary.
The remote gain works superbly and the Hover was someting else. Trouble is it was blowing so darn hard that when I hovered my plane blew away. Looks like it is a calm weather mode.
Anyway I have ordered another one as well. I will put that in my Sukhoi.

Quick Reply: Precision Aerobatics Addiction X

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14418 seconds with 12 queries