Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Who's got Flying Weather?

Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Oh my, my, my!!! What a day!!! Sunny, high 70s, and a light breeze (less than 5mph). I only had the morning "off", but what a sweet morning it was!

Flew everything i brought. Did some foamie battle with the Twisted Hobby Extra Slick. Insanely fun!!!

My lineup for today:

Old 05-12-2012, 10:30 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I have a forcast 10mph winds today, but its the first under 15 in 3 weeks. I am going to try to fly later this afternoon, have 3 batteries charging, and both transmitters charged for the first time in weeks. I have good feeling about today.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:31 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Finally got some good flying in today in Central Delaware, winds were 10-15 out of the NW. Specked the Radian out on first flight for almost 50 mins, The Minimoa didnt seem to grab the bubbles today. My Diamond 2500A climbs to altitude pretty fast, so did some light aerobatics, high speed runs and some nice rudder turns ontop to set up for final approaches. A all around fun sailplane to fly and makes a nice FPV platform.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:45 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Another good morning to fly so far and i have one flight in.
Charging up the Batt. for more flying if the wind stays quiet.
Looks like a nice day.
Crash
Old 05-13-2012, 01:02 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Default Fifi comes

While not a pretty day here it was grey and overcast - it was calm and cool in the mid 60's. Then we hear the unmistakable roar of large radial engines. I land as quickly as possible and what flies over our field? Fifi.

It was spectacular - needless to say.

For the few who may not know who Fifi is....

Fifi

B-29 44-62070 Fifi of the Commemorative Air Force
Fifi, serial number 44-62070, belongs to the Commemorative Air Force and is the only airworthy B-29 in the world at present. Fifi was grounded in 2006 because of problems with all four engines. In 2008, the Commemorative Air Force and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum announced that Fifi would be reengined.,[4] and be returned to flight status. On 15 July 2010 talks with the FAA to sign Fifi's Airworthiness Certificate were completed. Fifi took flight in early August 2010 with its new engines and was flown in the CAF AIRSHO air show in October 2010 and is currently available for rides at select airshows.[5][6][7]

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	159923  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:54 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
While not a pretty day here it was grey and overcast - it was calm and cool in the mid 60's. Then we hear the unmistakable roar of large radial engines. I land as quickly as possible and what flies over our field? Fifi.

It was spectacular - needless to say.

For the few who may not know who Fifi is....

Fifi

B-29 44-62070 Fifi of the Commemorative Air Force
Fifi, serial number 44-62070, belongs to the Commemorative Air Force and is the only airworthy B-29 in the world at present. Fifi was grounded in 2006 because of problems with all four engines. In 2008, the Commemorative Air Force and the Cavanaugh Flight Museum announced that Fifi would be reengined.,[4] and be returned to flight status. On 15 July 2010 talks with the FAA to sign Fifi's Airworthiness Certificate were completed. Fifi took flight in early August 2010 with its new engines and was flown in the CAF AIRSHO air show in October 2010 and is currently available for rides at select airshows.[5][6][7]

Mike
Was this B-29 ever stationed on Okinawa?
Old 05-13-2012, 02:03 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Nope - Fifi was late to the game. She never left the states.

http://flgrube1.tripod.com/id60.html

Mike
Old 05-13-2012, 02:18 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Nope - Fifi was late to the game. She never left the states.

http://flgrube1.tripod.com/id60.html

Mike
Ok Mike, thanks
Crash
Old 05-13-2012, 04:28 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

No flying the WWI squadron today, wind is really pushing here in Central Delaware this morning, and swirling to boot. Sunny and warm....will bring out the hardcore Piper Super Cub this afternoon..and maybe launch the Diamond Sailplane. HAPPY FLYING!
Old 05-13-2012, 04:38 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

I am getting ready to head out and get some stick time. Over cast, but in the 70's with about 0 to 8 mph winds.
My wife and daughter decided to have a mother's day together ( translates to going shopping) so I got the green light to go and enjoy some flying.

Mike that is cool you got to see Fifi fly by, and the roar of those four engines must have been great to hear.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:44 PM
thomdoe

weather ? it's California there is ..... hot ... and hotter
Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post

Mike that is cool you got to see Fifi fly by, and the roar of those four engines must have been great to hear.
It was breathtaking.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:45 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

It was breathtaking.
I saw her at the Reading, PA air show last summer. Listening to her taking off was amazing!!!

Some pictures I took:

Old 05-14-2012, 12:49 AM
thomdoe

79 and sunny
Old 05-14-2012, 12:53 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Fantastic pics!
Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Fantastic pics!
Thanks!

I forgot this one. In terms of patriotism, not bad for an immigrant, huh?

Old 05-14-2012, 01:00 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Great photos Swede wish we had some shows close by like you guys.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 AM
HeliFun

Talking

Solutions to bad weather:
1. Buy me small and fly them in the house.
2. Get to know a school principal and fly them in the gym.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:46 AM
thomdoe

small..... SMALL ! really ?
Old 05-14-2012, 03:48 AM
thomdoe

paper airplanes are small
Old 05-14-2012, 05:24 AM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I flew 3 batteries yesterday. Good winds (5-10 crosswind). The bugs are out, and my planes was really not flying well. I actually had a straight down diving crash. Plane came out of it with only a broken prop and bent landing gear. I was sure it was a verticle dive.

I was having a hard time getting the plane trimmed in. Tried to do a banking turn, full lack of response. I tried full oposite aleroins, then full rudder, then both, then full rudder up and down with no response, while the plane did a no throttle spinning dive. I almost set the controller down to walk away, but kept full up in it till it hit. I was suprised to be walking back with a full air frame, bassically undamaged. The prop hit one side around the motor mount, only cosmetic scratches. Bent the main gear out several inches. Swapped the prop, checked all control surfaces, swapped the battery and put it back in the air. Didn't even bend the motor shaft.

Had a lot of weird quirks after getting it in the air though. Full elevator made it screw very very badly, but at random times. It was doing this before the crash, which is why I was having a hard time trimming it in. I could do three or four cnsecutive loops with no issues, then other times I would do a low pass, put some elevator into it and it would do a hard bank.

I am suspecting my bolt on tail is loose, not sure if it enough to slide under its own servo's, but I don't think I can tighten the bolts any more without cracking.

The bugs were out, and bad. I gave up on figuring out my problem because of the stupid misquito's. For some reason the were going for my eyes. Spent more time swating at my eyes then flying. Think I'm going to need to turn into an early morning flyer.

I'm wondering if my radio is locking up or the sevo's are overloading the bec. I am going to try my 40 amp esc instead of the 30amp. See if that seems to make any differance. The most frustrating thing is I can't reproduce it on the ground. Another weird thing, my flaps is now a spoiler.
Old 05-14-2012, 05:53 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I flew 3 batteries yesterday. Good winds (5-10 crosswind). The bugs are out, and my planes was really not flying well. I actually had a straight down diving crash. Plane came out of it with only a broken prop and bent landing gear. I was sure it was a verticle dive.

I was having a hard time getting the plane trimmed in. Tried to do a banking turn, full lack of response. I tried full oposite aleroins, then full rudder, then both, then full rudder up and down with no response, while the plane did a no throttle spinning dive. I almost set the controller down to walk away, but kept full up in it till it hit. I was suprised to be walking back with a full air frame, bassically undamaged. The prop hit one side around the motor mount, only cosmetic scratches. Bent the main gear out several inches. Swapped the prop, checked all control surfaces, swapped the battery and put it back in the air. Didn't even bend the motor shaft.

Had a lot of weird quirks after getting it in the air though. Full elevator made it screw very very badly, but at random times. It was doing this before the crash, which is why I was having a hard time trimming it in. I could do three or four cnsecutive loops with no issues, then other times I would do a low pass, put some elevator into it and it would do a hard bank.

I am suspecting my bolt on tail is loose, not sure if it enough to slide under its own servo's, but I don't think I can tighten the bolts any more without cracking.

The bugs were out, and bad. I gave up on figuring out my problem because of the stupid misquito's. For some reason the were going for my eyes. Spent more time swating at my eyes then flying. Think I'm going to need to turn into an early morning flyer.

I'm wondering if my radio is locking up or the sevo's are overloading the bec. I am going to try my 40 amp esc instead of the 30amp. See if that seems to make any differance. The most frustrating thing is I can't reproduce it on the ground. Another weird thing, my flaps is now a spoiler.
If you're flying your model with a ESC equipped with a linear type BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) that might be involved with your problems.

IMHO, those linear BEC's should NEVER be used on any model with more than a 2S LiPo battery for motor power. I've seen several "Foamy jets go in last year because of this very issue. The linear voltage regulator gets hot, shuts it self off, you crash. And by the time you get to the model, that same regulator has cooled off, and has restarted it self.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63779

(Now for a solution for the bugs!)
Old 05-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Well a little cold this morning 30deg. but not much wind so flew the InfineonII for a nice flight . The sun was coming up and sky was clear so not a bad morning at all.
Crash
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 PM
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
If you're flying your model with a ESC equipped with a linear type BEC (Battery Elimination Circuit) that might be involved with your problems.

IMHO, those linear BEC's should NEVER be used on any model with more than a 2S LiPo battery for motor power. I've seen several "Foamy jets go in last year because of this very issue. The linear voltage regulator gets hot, shuts it self off, you crash. And by the time you get to the model, that same regulator has cooled off, and has restarted it self.

Take a look:
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63779

(Now for a solution for the bugs!)
I think your right...

I bought my 450 slow fly motor that pulls 19 amps a 30 amp esc and my 450 sport. Motor a 40 amp because its a bit over 20 amp draw.

The slow fly was for my slow stick with rudder and elevator only, so two servo's. Motor swings such a large prop that if I blip the throttle on the ground, one wing tip picks up and the other touches. It made the plane almost impossible to control with throttle on. Since it is a 880kv motor I swapped it and the 30 amp speed control onto my trainier with alerions. Well the lower kv motor needs much more throttle to go verticle, although it hangs off the prop much better, it does equate to the same flight times, and not quite unlimited verticle. It hangs but won't really pull out, so I have to cut throttle and hammer head, or I have to slip it out with rudder and level it with aleroins.

Since hanging the slow stick up until I get another motor, or decide to do aleroins, I swapped the sport motor on, and just realized I forgot to swap the esc. The 30 amp has a 2 amp bec, and the 40 amp has a 3 amp. The 2 amp says for 2-3 servo's and the 3 amp says for 3-4. I bought both esc's before I knew anything about switch type bec's. I'd rather not add a ubec just for weight. But this wouod also explain why the plane has been acting just slightly tail heavy, a lighter esc in the nose. I kinda feel like an idiot now...

I'm going to swap out to the 40 amp and see if that fixes things at all. If it does, maybe I'll have to start saving up for a switching ubec.

Thanks "denny".

The thing that bugs me the most, is with full movement on full size servo's, I can't replicate it on the ground, but I have problems with micro servo's in the air. Oh well, we will call it a learning experiance.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:34 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by hayofstacks View Post
I think your right...

I bought my 450 slow fly motor that pulls 19 amps a 30 amp esc and my 450 sport. Motor a 40 amp because its a bit over 20 amp draw.

The slow fly was for my slow stick with rudder and elevator only, so two servo's. Motor swings such a large prop that if I blip the throttle on the ground, one wing tip picks up and the other touches. It made the plane almost impossible to control with throttle on. Since it is a 880kv motor I swapped it and the 30 amp speed control onto my trainier with alerions. Well the lower kv motor needs much more throttle to go verticle, although it hangs off the prop much better, it does equate to the same flight times, and not quite unlimited verticle. It hangs but won't really pull out, so I have to cut throttle and hammer head, or I have to slip it out with rudder and level it with aleroins.

Since hanging the slow stick up until I get another motor, or decide to do aleroins, I swapped the sport motor on, and just realized I forgot to swap the esc. The 30 amp has a 2 amp bec, and the 40 amp has a 3 amp. The 2 amp says for 2-3 servo's and the 3 amp says for 3-4. I bought both esc's before I knew anything about switch type bec's. I'd rather not add a ubec just for weight. But this wouod also explain why the plane has been acting just slightly tail heavy, a lighter esc in the nose. I kinda feel like an idiot now...

I'm going to swap out to the 40 amp and see if that fixes things at all. If it does, maybe I'll have to start saving up for a switching ubec.

Thanks "denny".

The thing that bugs me the most, is with full movement on full size servo's, I can't replicate it on the ground, but I have problems with micro servo's in the air. Oh well, we will call it a learning experiance.
Yeah, the price on those switching BEC's such as the Castle Creations 10 Amp unit now go for about $23 or so, depending on your local hobby shop.

Don't forget, you've got more load on your servos when the model is flying. And if you're doing "3D" a LOT more load, and that reflects on the linear BEC in the ESC getting much hotter.

IMHO, money very well worth it.

Quick Reply: Who's got Flying Weather?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15884 seconds with 14 queries