Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Battery Switch

Old 07-11-2011, 02:58 AM
Duco

Default Battery Switch

Hello all, well maiden flight today of my Nexstar EP, of which I am learning to fly with! All went well and the plane flew great, but I was told to switch out the heavy x2 3600 NiMH batteries to LiPo. What is a good LiPo for this plane, and as I have stated, it takes 2 ea of the ElectriFly 3600 batteries to fly her. I have researched and seen several recommendations, but could not understand why it seemed so differant. I was told to go w/ 3-4S LiPos 3300 to 3500 as long as the voltage was 18.5! I really enjoy electric flight, but have much to learn.
Do I also need to go w/2 batteries or is there away to go w/1 battery. After all, the idea is to reduce the weight. I will stay with the motor as comes w/plane, but will I also need to change the prop size as well, I would appreciate any help in this area.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by Duco View Post
Hello all, well maiden flight today of my Nexstar EP, of which I am learning to fly with! All went well and the plane flew great, but I was told to switch out the heavy x2 3600 NiMH batteries to LiPo. What is a good LiPo for this plane, and as I have stated, it takes 2 ea of the ElectriFly 3600 batteries to fly her. I have researched and seen several recommendations, but could not understand why it seemed so differant. I was told to go w/ 3-4S LiPos 3300 to 3500 as long as the voltage was 18.5! I really enjoy electric flight, but have much to learn.
Do I also need to go w/2 batteries or is there away to go w/1 battery. After all, the idea is to reduce the weight. I will stay with the motor as comes w/plane, but will I also as well need to change the prop size as well, I would appreciate any help in this area.
I'm sure someone here will give you the correct answer... but i wanted to stick my nose in here and see if my answer would be correct as i'm still learning myself...

So what i would do is 1st... switch your ESC (Electronic Speed Control) to one that can handle a 3 - 6 cell lipo and i would start out by trying a 4000mAh 4 cell.... but thats just me please wait for someone a bit more qualified to respond...

-John

P.S. If you're gonna be buying new parts... here is a link of a very good source with great prices and fast shipping. http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/StoreFront
Old 07-11-2011, 03:29 AM
Duco

Hello jap71173, glad for your help. The ESC in the plane is capable of handling LiPo, Silver Series. I do understand your instructions on the Lipo and the web site is tha bomb dude. Thanks, added to fav's, had never heard of the place, will be ordering from soon.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:50 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Duco View Post
Do I also need to go w/2 batteries or is there away to go w/1 battery. After all, the idea is to reduce the weight. I will stay with the motor as comes w/plane, but will I also need to change the prop size as well, I would appreciate any help in this area.
If you don't all ready have one, you'll also need a good LiPo charger. One of many is the Cellpro line, for up to a 4S(4 Series) battery pack, their Cellpro 4S unit.

As you've all ready indicated, you will also need a wattmeter such as the Astroflight wattmeter. These electric motors are very DUMB. They will happily turn over a way over sized propeller without complaint. At least until the smoke pours out of the motor/ESC/battery.

It's easy to overload something and burn up a motor/ESC/battery on this electric stuff. With a wattmeter, you will find out real quick if the new setup is safe to run.

Last but not least, if you're replacing Nickel Hydride cells with LiPos, be aware of the difference in weight, and what that might to the CG (Center of Gravity) of your model. Tail heavy planes, both models and full size, tend to only fly once.

But, the bottom line, is if your Nexstar flew nicely with those heavy NiH batteries, there is really nothing wrong with that, especially if its your first flights with RC. Those heavy batteries are pretty hard to damage. I did a LOT of flying with them in the Mid 1980's to the later 1990's. Run them near dead, and just recharge and fly again. Do that even once with a LiPo, and you're needing to buy a new battery.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:10 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Kyle is correct. the only real advantage to lithium is weight. LiPo's can store more energy in a much lighter package, whih translates into longer flights and "more" power, as the motor won't have to use as much to pull a lighter plane into the air.

But lighter is not always better. a heavier plane can handle wind better (a lot of glider pilots use NiXX for that very reason), and as noted already nickel cells are a lot more forgiving and can have a longer life as well (more charges).
Old 07-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Duco

Thanks guys for the advice, and I did just as suggested, a new charger, watt meter and a few other odss and ends that took a good size bite out of the hobby allowance! I did spring for a LiPo f/the Tx made for that brand and type, I also sprung for the LiPo's f/the NexStar, but as pointed out, will keep using what I purchased @ the 1st f/the plane as recommended, I understood the dif between the 2 types and I understand @ this stage of my learning, the weight is not a issue.
I also am glad I went ahead and sprung for the charger that does all batteries, I also have a Radian for future play that came w/LiPo's as part of the kit.
I am having a blast with this electric flight, I use to think it was whimppy, but after seeing the NexStar's smooth, graceful and with authority flight, I am sold, no more ideas about fuel, well maybe a gasser in the way future!
Again, thanks for the swell advice and time to answer my questions guys.