RCU RSS Feed RC Unviverse General Electric Discussion forum rss feed

HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

Old 11-07-2006, 12:00 AM
RSS Feed

Default HobbyZone Super Cub - Tell me About It

I have been reading great things about this plane. Tell me your experience. Should I be recommending this plane to new flyers? Anyone have lin...

More...
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM
Piratemed
Welcome to PirateLand

Absolutely yes ... I have been away from the hobby for many years and at the urging of a friend here at the university gave in and did some shopping around ... I picked up the Super Cub for no other reason other than it just looked "scale" ... I am very pleased with its performance and ability to keep me out of trouble ... it is quick to rotate from the ground and very stable in flight ... even when I try to get "crazy" and do things I'm not ready to do yet ... it is forgiving and will correct itself quickly when I do (get crazy) . . . I'd be the first to suggest this kit to anyone just starting out in the hobby or someone like myself that is getting back into it after a long absence ... and its really nice to pack up and go home without having to spend time cleaning the "slime" off the wings . . .
Old 10-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Piratemed
Welcome to PirateLand

Default Super Cubs do NOT like landing in a cross wind !

big time OOOPS ! . . . lucky wings are as easy to replace as going to the local hobby store for $19.95 .... mine split right at the root and it sure did hurt my feelings ! . . . but back in the air in less than 24 hours . . . more fun in the sun in eastern NC . . .
Old 10-15-2007, 10:10 PM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Sure-it's a very good plane, especially for someone wanting scale looks and the ability to take off. That said, new fliers should IMMEDIATELY get a prop saver and extra props with strong bands, make sure the battery box and servos are glued in well (re-glue if necessary), and check out making your own wing spars since they are crap and will break in no time. Reinforcing the skinny area on the fuse right in front of the tail feathers with some carbon isn't a bad idea either-bad landing cartwheels break the tail off.
Put larger tires on.
Tape the leading wing edge with clear packing tape, and reinforce the wing saddle-it gets pounded out after awhile.

If that sounds like a condemnation, it's not. ALL planes have weak spots. The cub is tough and actually has fewer problems than most. The problems above are very common in new fliers.

If scale looks aren't an issue the Multiplex EZ Star is good. If you are up to modest building and choosing electrics the slow stick is great. The Magpie is very good also but involves more building.

flydiver
Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 PM
pilgrim pete

Default hobbyzone supercub

on my cub i strengthened the lower rudder near the tail wheel with thinplastic sheet...cut the scoop off on the engine cowl it dug in used fishing line on the wing struts and altered the batt box to take a 9 cell spitfire batt all works well a very mendable great plane for learning on
Old 11-07-2007, 02:44 AM
x-cellerator

i want to buy a begginer plane and i want to know how easy the super cub is to fly on land and on floats
Old 11-07-2007, 02:45 AM
x-cellerator

should i buy the super cub or is there a better beginner plane
Old 11-07-2007, 02:48 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

From what I have read, you would be hard pressed to find a better beginner plane. It is also a great plane, from what I have heard, to grow into. You might have to get a larger motor later on to do much float flying. But I have seen that it does a great job ROG and landings.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:49 AM
x-cellerator

can you easily take it off and land it on the grass
Old 11-07-2007, 03:11 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Not as easily as a hard surface, and it will reduce your battery life a bit per flight, needing that extra power.

But there is no need to hand launch it just because you have a grass field.

As long as it has been mowed...
Old 01-04-2008, 03:08 AM
x-cellerator

i got one and i am waiting to fly it but i was wondering how easy it is to fly for a begginer, how it manouvers, how easy it is to keep it in the air, landings, ground takeoffs or hand launching
and the max wind speed
Old 01-04-2008, 03:31 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It is probably one of the easiest planes to fly.

You can crash it. I have seen people do both.

Here are some tips I made while watching people try to fly with this plane.

Off and full throttle are not your only two options.

You will not turn by just pushing the stick to the left or the right. You need some up elevator too.

Just because there's more room to push the sticks, doesn't mean you need to push them all the way.

Flying it lower doesn't mean the plane is safer. It just means you have less room to fix that mistake.

Getting up high, shutting off the motor, and seeing how it flies like that is actually a good thing.

And lastly...

When you feel like the plane is unflyable, hand the controls to your wife.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:52 PM
bassplayinDude

I bought myself a Super Cub late last Spring and had never had any flying experience beyond balsa rubber-band driven planes before it. My first flight was quite exciting and I managed to keep the plane in one piece even with my craptacular landings.

I'll happily put the above first flight success in the beginner's luck category because since then I've had a few pick up the pieces events. These were mostly due to me hot-dogging and trying things I really shouldn't have been, like flying upside-down. When I just worked on flying and learning the controls I walked away with a plane ready to fly again next time.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 PM
mumblinaviator
R/C Work and Play

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
Off and full throttle are not your only two options.
... You just blew my mind That's great.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:30 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

laugh as you will, it is still hard for me to do leave the stick in that in between area....
Old 01-06-2008, 10:39 PM
tjones8043
R/C Lawnmower

Thumbs up

I would say that the supercub is the best begginer plane on the market. I started out with one and have since sold 4 or 5 for the local hobbyshop all as first planes. It's easy to fly, has great performance, inexspensive, and easily repaired. Break it half? No problem. Get some 15 minute epoxy and your back in buisness. Liquid nails "Perfect glue" also works extremely well. I would recomend converting to lipo's for an even better and longer flying experience. One good hint with the cub is to put a strip of packing tape along the leading edge (front) of the wing. This will help prevent alot of damage in the event of a crash. The thin cheaper kind works better than the "mighty duck" brand. Also recomend Deans connectors for the batterys. My brother almost lost his plane from the cheap connectors they use in them. They're a standard when you start building your own planes.

P.S.
When your ready for ailerons, the parkzoneT-28 Trojan flys like a dream and makes a nice upgrade from the cub at about $215 complete with a brushless 480 motor and lipo battery.
Old 06-05-2008, 03:17 PM
patcoston

Default Super Cub my first RC Plane

The Super Cub is my first RC plane but in hindsight it would have been better to have gotten a smaller slower flying plane to learn on. The Super Cub is a bit too fast and powerful for the learner.

I would get 1 minute of flying followed by 2 hours of repairing. I'm not complaining. It's actually been quite fun to repair, modify and even improve the plane.

With duct tape, you can actually make the plane stronger than it was before. Reinforce the tail. I've had two super-cubs and broken the tail off both. I've duct tape that back on again and they were better than new.

Find a way to secure the gyros controlling the tail. The glue seal breaks and they unseat causing lack of control. Secure the computer better too. It always pops out of its holder.

I fly without the wing struts and it does just fine. They break easily and I finally got tired of replacing them so I just removed them and I haven't missed them. I do secure the wing with 6 rubberbands instead of the recommended 4.

When you fly, bring a repair kit with as well as spare batteries including a spare battery for the plane. Use the car charger while you drive to the location so your battery is 100% when you get there.

You will break the propeller so buy a few extras. Have the tools you need to replace it. I'm on my 4th propeller.

My final advice is throw the plane by hand your first few flights with throttle at 100%. Continue straight and climb high ... very high. Start turning slowly and continue to climb. Once you are up a few hundred feet, then you can start to practice your turns. Throttle back and glide to extend the battery life. Going slower will also give you more time to react and practice.

If you fly low, there is no room for error and you're going to be making a lot of errors. You need to give yourself time to recover from that spiral death roll.
Old 06-22-2008, 01:08 AM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Here's some in flight video of my dog chasing my Super Cub. BTW, the reference to Lt. Ralph Queasy is from some in flight video I shot with my Hobby Lobby Mini Gee Bee Sr. Sportster.

He's my go-to pilot for flying low (crashes make for good video )

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1209262/l:transcoded_email[/media]
Old 04-05-2009, 11:29 PM
dmetior

Default Super cub flight problems

Hi..After years of enjoying watching others fly all sorts of rc planes i decided to buy a super cub..I have only had it for approx 3 weeks.
I have had 2 or 3 goodish flights but iam having problems trying to stop it turning to the left and then crashing!!
This has only just started to happen.
I have also noticed that instead of banking while turning, it is actually swinging around,,(sorry if this sounds confusing lol!!).
Also it seems occasionally that the batteries dont seem to last long,, maybe 5 minutes or so!! I use the stock car charger, and also a wall charger that the car charger plugs into...
Any help would be much appreciated....many thanks!
Old 04-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by dmetior View Post
Hi..After years of enjoying watching others fly all sorts of rc planes i decided to buy a super cub..I have only had it for approx 3 weeks.
I have had 2 or 3 goodish flights but iam having problems trying to stop it turning to the left and then crashing!!
This has only just started to happen.
I have also noticed that instead of banking while turning, it is actually swinging around,,(sorry if this sounds confusing lol!!).
Also it seems occasionally that the batteries dont seem to last long,, maybe 5 minutes or so!! I use the stock car charger, and also a wall charger that the car charger plugs into...
Any help would be much appreciated....many thanks!
First of all, welcome to WattFlyer!

A couple of things come to mind when I read about your problems. First of all, it is very important that the wing is centered perfectly over the fuselage. Make some marks on the centerline of both fuselage and wing, front and back, so that you can easily see that the wing is properly centered before flying.

Also, in order for the plane to bank into turns, the wing must have some dihedral in it (this applies to all 3 channel planes like the Super Cub, but not necessarily to planes with ailerons). That is, the wing must be angled slightly upward from the fuselage to the wing tips. Without dihedral, the plane will skid through turns. I have seen some people make the mistake of pulling out all of the dihedral by tightening down the wing struts and then complain the the plane flies badly.

The third thing that could be wrong with the wing (you said you have crashed a few times, right?) is that it could have been pushed back from where it is supposed to seat on top of the fuselage. After several very bad landings mine pushed backward a little, crushing the foam on the trailing edge of the wing. If that has happened to yours, fine something to fill in the gap in the back to push the wing forward. If the wing is too far back, your balance is going to be off and the plane will be hard to control.

As for the batteries, I never had much luck with the car charger. The wall charger seemed to charge my battery much better, but be careful to only use the wall charger if the battery is already mostly discharged. It's a timed charge, and overcharging a NiMH battery will shorten its life. Also, if you put the battery into the plane fresh off the charger, it will be much stronger.

Good luck!
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM
dmetior

Hi..what an excellent and quick reply.i really appreciate the time you took to post your excellent reply..I will do as you advise and let you know how i get on..Me and a friend have both bought these planes and are having the same problems..damage so far to my plane= 2 broken props, tail broken off, wing snapped, battery compartment torn from fuselage .. good job im not carrying passengers!! Iam not having much luck!! Any advise warmely welcomed......thanks again!!!
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 AM
1320fastback

My SC was my first rc airplane and like said above I crashed it a lot those first few weeks. It can be a little fast for an absolute beginner especially when you think you have a big enough area to fly and you really do not.

IMO everyone should put a CF rod in the wing and at least tape the tail as well as the leading edge of the main wing.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Originally Posted by dmetior View Post
Hi..what an excellent and quick reply.i really appreciate the time you took to post your excellent reply..I will do as you advise and let you know how i get on..Me and a friend have both bought these planes and are having the same problems..damage so far to my plane= 2 broken props, tail broken off, wing snapped, battery compartment torn from fuselage .. good job im not carrying passengers!! Iam not having much luck!! Any advise warmely welcomed......thanks again!!!
When making major repairs to the airframe, you have to be really careful to get evertything back into proper alignment. You probably already knew that, but I cannot stress enough how important it is.

Also, get yourself a computer simulator. Even a $20 one from eBay (ESky simulator with FMS software) will help a lot. When I first started into this hobby 20 years ago, there were no smilulators and no electrics either. I spent about $500 to get set up, then another $500 on airplanes that never flew more than 3 or 4 times before they were destroyed. Eventually my credit cards were maxed out and I put everything on a shelf to collect dust. About 2 years ago I got back into it, and with the help of that $20 eBay simulator, the first electric plane I bought is still flying. It's a Super Cub

BTW, I'm just now getting around to installing a wing spar and converting it to 4 channels. It has flown more or less stock all this time.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:06 PM
Fly Time
Ask me how I know

Hey, one other thing about "turning left then crashing"....

I didn't mention this at first because I didn't think it was likely that you could have changed this, but with all of your crash repairs, did you ever have to do anything to the firewall or motor mount area? The motor is installed so that the prop is angled down and to the right (referred to as down thrust and right thrust, or collectively "thrust angle"). This is intentional and is neccessary to offset torque and what we call prop effect, altogether the dynamic and aerodynamic forces of a spinning propeller. If you somehow mount the prop so that it is in-line with the fuselage, the plane will tend to turn left and pitch up when you apply throttle, which could ultimately result in a corkscrew into the ground