RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hobby City HXT900 Servos

Old 12-01-2008, 03:03 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Again - why continue trying to convince me?

I am happy.

You are happy.

Lets move on.

Mike
Old 12-29-2008, 10:08 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by rcers View Post
Again - why continue trying to convince me?

I am happy.

You are happy.

Lets move on.

Mike
I don't need convinced about HXT servos either.

I have over 50 GWS Pico/Naro, and a number of HS55 servos. NEVER a failure. I consider both GWS and Hitec sub-micro servos to be top of the line. As for HXTs, I recently bought 3 HXT500 servos. With careful testing, I noticed that one of them would randomly hit dead spots, where a slight nudge of the arm would get it going again. The fact that the location is random basically rules out a bad spot in the pot. I assume the motor has a certain spot, where if it stops there, it will not run. The next assumtion is that this is due to using cheap motors. There has to be a reason why they cost less, and it's not the 3 cents worth of plastic parts.

The overwhelming bottom line is that they have an initial defect rate of 1 in 3 with me, and other good brands have had 0 in 100 defects. About the only reassurance is that the servo was noisy, which I believe is coming from the defective motor and not the geartrain. At least you can possibly weed out these bad HXTs, by simply not using the ones that sound like miniature rock crushers.

For those as insane as myself, I actually took apart the little coreless servo motor and reassembled it, and it still works. It actually has not hung up since reassembly, but I'm not sure why.
These little buggers are unbelievably tiny. The brush contacts are a bit larger than human hairs! There are no brushes so as to speak, but just microscopic copper strips that contact the 3-segment commutator.
When I reassembled the motor, I realized that the brush plate/enbell assembly is actually keyed to the motor to work in only 1 positon. You can't just slam in on however you want, like most brushed DC motors. I had to try all 4 possible alignment postions of the endbell with the stamp marks on the case, to get it right. Getting the motor shaft/commutator in the brushes without bending or crushing them in unbelievably tough too. Fortunatley I have not lost my close vision, so I can still perform these worthless insane experiments. The servo seems to run now and not hang up, but I don't see using it in anything.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:15 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yep I too love the Pico servos from GWS - never had a dud on those - or had one fail.

They rock and are excellent centering - and light.....

Mike
Old 01-03-2009, 06:54 PM
TbigD

I have a friend that was a gws dealer , i used some gws servos , (got them for less than hxt's) the ones i had , wouldnt center , i tried 6 of them , all were the same.....threw them in the trash...Dennis