Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Started My GWS Me-109 (Photos Added)

Old 12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
You too Andy? I'm so hurt.
You gotta admit ...that was funny!!
Old 12-25-2007, 06:24 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
You gotta admit ...that was funny!!
I don't "have too" but I will. Touche' Kev.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:50 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

You guys are right about the ailerons on this thing. They're like a wet noodle. Since I didn't have the right size balsa to make new ones. I put bamboo skewers in the foam. I carved out a slot and glued them in place with Elmer's. Once it dried, I put a coat of spackle over them. I'll sand it off tomorrow and then they'll get a layer of silk and WBPU.

I've decided not to glass the entire fuse but I did do the bottom of it. The bottom of the fuse and all surfaces of the tail feathers are covered with silk and WBPU. I'll put in the aileron links then the wing will get covered.

I'd post pictures of the fuse and tail but they just look like white foam. You can't see the silk on them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03292.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	50276   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03293.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	50277  
Old 12-26-2007, 06:03 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Tom, I only glass my control surfaces. They are like mini diving-boards afterward. If you are going to silk the plane I think you are good to go. For what it's worth, I use 3/4 oz. glass because you can never find 1/2 oz. I also tried a cool furniture fabric that a generous person on here sent me, but it didn't absorb the poly well. The fabric was almost like a waterproof cloth. So I haven't used anything other than the 3/4 oz. glass.

Andy

Andy,

You really should try some of the silk from Thai Silk sometime. It's the best stuff I've ever used. I bought 4 yards of it and it will easily do three planes of this size and possibly 4. Lays down and follows curves great.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:21 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Tom,
I'm surprised that you are allowing this kind of abuse... The next thing you know you will be known as Flying Grasshopper..:p...oh oh.

Seriously, I do hope you have the time to go through your build with us. We would all appreciate it..
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by Airhead View Post
Hey Tom,
I'm surprised that you are allowing this kind of abuse... The next thing you know you will be known as Flying Grasshopper..:p...oh oh.

Seriously, I do hope you have the time to go through your build with us. We would all appreciate it..
Hey Bruce,

Abuse builds character. It's all good. Maybe I should change my name to Kiwi. Since the definition of a Kiwi is a greyish brown "flightless" bird. I think they're too heavy to get off the ground.
Old 12-26-2007, 11:57 AM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

Hey Bruce,

Abuse builds character. It's all good. Maybe I should change my name to Kiwi. Since the definition of a Kiwi is a greyish brown "flightless" bird. I think they're too heavy to get off the ground.
Nah grasshopper fits you better. short, barely controled flight with a crash into your buddys at the end.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:20 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Hopper, check the torsional rigidity before gluing the ailerons on.

Hold the torque rod so the aileron is up and see if the aileron will flatten out with pressure from one of your other hands.

If it's not stiff and it flattens, I'd make the balsa ones.

Paul
Old 12-26-2007, 02:56 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by pd1 View Post
Hopper, check the torsional rigidity before gluing the ailerons on.

Hold the torque rod so the aileron is up and see if the aileron will flatten out with pressure from one of your other hands.

If it's not stiff and it flattens, I'd make the balsa ones.

Paul

Thanks Paul, I'll check that out once they have the silk on them. I have a feeling you're going to talk me in to balsa ailerons.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:49 PM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

Thanks Paul, I'll check that out once they have the silk on them. I have a feeling you're going to talk me in to balsa ailerons.
They'll probably be just fine once you silk em up. watch the tail feathers too they're weak, just like the real thing.

I have to laugh, everytime I order a plane I find a build thread of yours on said plane. My 109s should be here the begining of the new year. probably going to build an E and a G.
Old 12-26-2007, 05:20 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Andy,

You really should try some of the silk from Thai Silk sometime. It's the best stuff I've ever used. I bought 4 yards of it and it will easily do three planes of this size and possibly 4. Lays down and follows curves great.
I'll have to try again. I loaded up my shopping cart a while back when Paul mentioned it, but it wouldn't accept my credit card for some reason. It was a Visa, so I have no idea why my money was no good.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:59 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Andy,

Not to mention the dresses he sews with it for himself.

Originally Posted by wilky View Post
Nah grasshopper fits you better. short, barely controled flight with a crash into your buddys at the end.
Or a crash into your own planes......
Old 12-27-2007, 01:15 AM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Or a crash into your own planes......
I think thats what i was Implying....or does everything have to be explained to you too....:p

all righty then, back to the 109 you know toward the end of WWII they started stripping 109s of armor and guns and used them on ramming missions? kinda like Kamikazes only they rammed other planes......sounds right up hoppys alley.

Opps, hey any progress Mr. Grasshopper sir?
Old 12-27-2007, 01:19 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

I think thats what i was Implying....or does everything have to be explained to you too....:p

all righty then, back to the 109 you know toward the end of WWII they started stripping 109s of armor and guns and used them on ramming missions? kinda like Kamikazes only they rammed other planes......sounds right up hoppys alley.

Uh, I am NOT the Monkey......

Insults are SO beneath you.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

There was a show on the history channel about that a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard of it until I saw that. And yes, I got what you meant about ramming my own planes. Those guys in Illinois are a little slow. Must be the cold weather.

I haven't done much more today. I have a 5 year old that want's to play with all his Christmas stuff. I need to silk the top of the wing, do some sanding and it's ready to get the tail feathers and ailerons attached. Then she's off to the paint booth, (aka garage).
Old 12-27-2007, 02:17 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

There was a show on the history channel about that a couple of weeks ago. I hadn't heard of it until I saw that. And yes, I got what you meant about ramming my own planes. Those guys in Illinois are a little slow. Must be the cold weather.

I haven't done much more today. I have a 5 year old that want's to play with all his Christmas stuff. I need to silk the top of the wing, do some sanding and it's ready to get the tail feathers and ailerons attached. Then she's off to the paint booth, (aka garage).
I am not slow.....I was just emphasizing the point. :p
Old 12-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Got some more done tonight. I couldn't stand the thought of this thing coming out light so I silked the entire plane. I was going to do the wing, tail feathers and the bottom of the fuse but the little red guy on my shoulder kept telling me to add more weight so she's all silky now.

Should get the tail and ailerons on tomorrow (oops guess it's today now) and then start slapping a couple gallons of paint on it.:p

I still have to rework the spinner for the 3 blade prop too.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:26 PM
wilky
Off topic talking fool

I haven't done much more today. I have a 5 year old that want's to play with all his Christmas stuff.
Yeah, that show was great. I actually got choked up watching the kamikaze part. My grandfather was on a ship in the pacific in WWII and used to tell me about shooting at the kamikazes...seeing it on the show and how intense it was kinda got to me, It also made me miss the old guy.

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Uh, I am NOT the Monkey......

Insults are SO beneath you.
No your not the Monkey, but you'll do in his absence. and nothing is beneath me 'cept the floor
Old 12-27-2007, 02:39 PM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

I hope your ME-109 goes better then mine did Grasshopper.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:47 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
I hope your ME-109 goes better then mine did Grasshopper.

Thanks, I hope it does too after reading your crash thread. Sorry to hear about that.
Old 12-28-2007, 05:29 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

She's all coverd with silk and WBPU and the prime coat is on. Most of the primer will be wet sanded off just leaving enough to help fill the weave in the cloth. Then it's ready for some color.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03295.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	50527   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03296.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	50528  
Old 12-28-2007, 05:33 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Looks nice! What are you going to do about the motor mount?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:52 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Looking good Tom. Which finish WBPU did you use gloss, semi-gloss, or flat?
Old 12-29-2007, 03:58 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks nice! What are you going to do about the motor mount?
Thanks Andy, In keeping with my theme of "Make it heavy to fly scale", I made one out of 1" thick steel plate with a 1/2" diameter steel rod running the length of the fuselage for support.

Just kidding. I used the stick mount. It's already in place and the motor fitted with the GWS 3 blade prop. I have to modify or make a new spinner for the three blades.

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Looking good Tom. Which finish WBPU did you use gloss, semi-gloss, or flat?
Thanks James. I used the Minwax satin. Maybe I can get it finished and you can toss it for me again on the maiden.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:44 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

You tell me when and where and I'll be there .

Quick Reply: Started My GWS Me-109 (Photos Added)

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12228 seconds with 17 queries