ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

A blast from the past. Mountain Models ParkJet.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:24 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Default A blast from the past. Mountain Models ParkJet.

I really don't remember the year I bought, built and first flew this bird. Designed by Scott Stoops and kitted by Mountain Models mine flew just fine on a GWS brushed 75mm fan with a crappy (compared to today) Thunderpower 3S2100 li-po pack. The tail feathers are beyond fragile and I broke the elevator many years back and put her on the shelf for a LONG time to await repairs. About 3 years ago I repaired the elevator but really wanted to upgrade the power unit before flying again. Just never got around to it. In looking at the EDF units available now I don't think there is anything in the 75mm range that wouldn't rip this bird to shreds. Just wondering if anyone that has this bird has hung a newer brushless version EDF on her that didn't go so fast as to cause in flight catastrophic failure. I'm a Mountain Models junkie and because unbuilt kits are impossible to find I'm almost ready to deconstruct this plane just to make templates so I can make a few more "kits" to have to keep the other kits in my personal MM kit vault company..

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ParkJet 003.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	177437  
Old 09-19-2014, 11:30 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

MM really made some great kits. The Urban Flyer was a hoot to fly around a small space with. Your PJ is well done!
Old 09-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
MM really made some great kits. The Urban Flyer was a hoot to fly around a small space with. Your PJ is well done!
Many years back I had a NIB Urban Flyer kit and sold it for some stupid reason. Been kicking myself ever since.

Joe
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

They were a great model Joe, all the MM models I've owned were great ones that flew well. Kit quality was good, build easy with great directions.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:27 AM
Turbojoe
Mountain Models Minion

Being a basic pod and boom the Urban Flyer should be easy to replicate using a Switchback wing. I've got 'em piled like cord wood. Might be an interesting project to tackle. It would be great to have a set of plans though just to make sure incidences and areas are proper.

Joe