ParkFlyers Talk about all backyard and parkflyer aircraft here

Dynam Hawk Sky RTF

Old 02-19-2011, 08:52 PM
Doug

Default It was the ESC

Originally Posted by FlyingBrick50 View Post
15 min flight time seems pretty good to me? What are the specs on your plane, battery, Prop, Motor, esc(what are the programmables on esc set at),.....are far as out the motor being out of sink, that is a function of the esc right?
I went to to fly yesterday - done the usual preflight checks. The last thing I do is give the motor control a slight burst to check for power and rotation. Everything was good and I shut down the motor. Suddenly, smoke comes out of the vent hole in the back of the plane. I disconnected the battery and the ESC got so hot that the motor leads became unsoldered! Not much damage to the fuse, just a small blackened area inside. I put in the ESC from the second HawkSky (hasn't even been built) and it runs much different. I should have replaced it long ago, but it was flying. Thanks again for the pointer, FlyingBrick50.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:04 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Thumbs up burned esc

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I went to to fly yesterday - done the usual preflight checks. The last thing I do is give the motor control a slight burst to check for power and rotation. Everything was good and I shut down the motor. Suddenly, smoke comes out of the vent hole in the back of the plane. I disconnected the battery and the ESC got so hot that the motor leads became unsoldered! Not much damage to the fuse, just a small blackened area inside. I put in the ESC from the second HawkSky (hasn't even been built) and it runs much different. I should have replaced it long ago, but it was flying. Thanks again for the pointer, FlyingBrick50.
I'm glad your still up there, I'm addicted to RC planes and have learned alot from fellow wattheads. Take care be safe

Ohh, check out the newest edition to my Hanger.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0320.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	143641   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0316.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	226.6 KB
ID:	143642  
Old 02-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Doug

.... Ohh, check out the newest edition to my Hanger.
Really nice! One day ... one day I'll graduate to midwing ... <green with envy>
Old 02-21-2011, 02:57 AM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Unhappy Green

Originally Posted by Doug View Post
Really nice! One day ... one day I'll graduate to mid wing ... <green with envy>
Don't be to green, check out todays flights carnage, managed to get 30 min stick time in with a little damage at the end, Hell it was gusting 10/15 mph should know better nrrrrrrrr

She is dam quick,..............................
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCI0333.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	143666  

Last edited by FlyingBrick50; 02-21-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: add
Old 02-21-2011, 02:28 PM
Doug

Default You done good

Don't be to green, check out todays flights carnage, managed to get 30 min stick time in with a little damage at the end, Hell it was gusting 10/15 mph should know better nrrrrrrrr

She is dam quick,..............................
If I'd been behind the sticks, there wouldn't have been a wing! The damage doesn't look too bad. I really like the looks of the GeeBee. Gotta be a hoot to fly.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:53 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Arrow Damage

Doug

It was repairable, and has since flown again. Two hard landings later(wind speed 5/8 mph, ambient wind meter) and now she needs refitting again, thinking about beefing it up a little since the main wing connection seems to be the weak link so far.

Flying her is a hoot, staying ahead of her is tough (three mistakes high) and for a high wing pilot (me) even on low rates (75% of 150%) on all control services. She is a double handful!! Landing speeds are higher as well.
I'm going to change the ailerons from one servo to two so I can use flaperon and decrease my landing speed and give me more trim options as well.

FlyTheBlue
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 PM
nrandal

Default Shouldn't my elevator control work

The up/down on my left stick is not doing anything at all. I was expecting this to control the elevators? The elevator servo is connected and receiving a signal. I can see it changing when I adjust the trim knob.

All 4 switches at the bottom are set to ON.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

In Mode 2, the left, up/down stick is the throttle. The RIGHT stick up down is elevator.

I believe that model is Mode 2.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:12 PM
nrandal

I am sorry, I mis-typed. My right stick up/down is not working. Left stick is working fine for controlling motor speed.
The only way to currently change my elevators is to use the adjustment knob.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:17 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

If it is new, stop wasting your time with this post, and pick up the phone and call the place you bought it. Exchange it now.

If it is used, you are going to loose nothing opening up the TX case and finding the wire that may have come off the stick potentiometer (and hope that is the problem).

If the TX is dead, simply get a replacement and be done with it.

Just a suggestion based on the value of your time.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

So I just picked up one of these puppies that I'm going to try to use as a cheapo AV/AP platform. It looks surprisingly nice for a $99 plane! I can't wait to try it out!

The only thing that worries me is the way the wings are (not) attached. Am I reading the Chinglish wrong or is there nothing but friction holding the wings in place? If not, any ideas on how to make it a little more reliable? I don't want to glue it, since I want to be able to take the wings off for transport. I guess I could do bolts, but then I'd have to fit some kind of plastic mount. Or I could just put a two knobs on each wing close to the root and tie a rubber band between them across the belly.

What have you folks done to fix this? Does it even need fixing?
Old 03-31-2011, 03:09 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

On my EZG, its just friction. Theres no spiraling force on the glider to pull the wings out.

If it isnt tight enough, you could put a layer of packing tape around the wing to take up any slack.

I've seen other gliders use a tab of velcro between wing halves also.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:12 AM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
On my EZG, its just friction. Theres no spiraling force on the glider to pull the wings out.

If it isnt tight enough, you could put a layer of packing tape around the wing to take up any slack.

I've seen other gliders use a tab of velcro between wing halves also.
Ok. I'm obsessing over nothing again. Now all I need is some good weather this weekend.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 AM
Doug

Default Holding wings

I use velcro to hold the wings together, but I let one side get a little loose (I didn't epoxy the self-adhesive velcro) and had the wings pull out after an intentional spin. Well, as close to a spin as you can put a HawkSky into. The wings pulled out after I pulled out of the spin and was starting across wind to land.

If you epoxy the velcro to the wing, it will hold for flight, but give during a 'ground roll!'
Old 03-31-2011, 06:41 AM
nrandal

Default Wire broke off pot in new TX

found the problem and soldered the wire back on the right stick up/down pot. The whole kit is so inexpensive I should not be surprised but the soldering for the TX is awful. Looking at how bad they are, I am not surprised it broke, probably during shipping.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:21 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
So I just picked up one of these puppies that I'm going to try to use as a cheapo AV/AP platform. It looks surprisingly nice for a $99 plane! I can't wait to try it out!

The only thing that worries me is the way the wings are (not) attached. Am I reading the Chinglish wrong or is there nothing but friction holding the wings in place? If not, any ideas on how to make it a little more reliable? I don't want to glue it, since I want to be able to take the wings off for transport. I guess I could do bolts, but then I'd have to fit some kind of plastic mount. Or I could just put a two knobs on each wing close to the root and tie a rubber band between them across the belly.

What have you folks done to fix this? Does it even need fixing?
Mine should arrive with the mail today as well. I grabbed the cheaper one with the FM TX and will swap out thr radio. Spring is finally kicking in around here and that means wind. Maybe I'll try her in the wind. Could be fun with this model.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Originally Posted by Wrongway-Feldman View Post
Mine should arrive with the mail today as well. I grabbed the cheaper one with the FM TX and will swap out thr radio. Spring is finally kicking in around here and that means wind. Maybe I'll try her in the wind. Could be fun with this model.
I did the same: Got the 72MHz version and I'm putting in a Spektrum receiver I happened to have lying around. Kind of overkill with a rx that costs more than the rest of the plane, so I might get one of those OrangeRX ones just to stay true to the cheapo concept!
Old 03-31-2011, 03:47 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

I have 10 of those 6100 clones that hk sells. You need to supply your own shrinkwrap for them but the work very well. I use em stricktly for the cheaper planes like this.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:00 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Nitro Blast View Post
you are going to lose nothing opening up the TX case and finding the wire that may have come off the stick potentiometer (and hope that is the problem)

Originally Posted by nrandal View Post
found the problem and soldered the wire back on the right stick up/down pot. The whole kit is so inexpensive I should not be surprised but the soldering for the TX is awful. Looking at how bad they are, I am not surprised it broke, probably during shipping.

Ta-da. Now how did I know that?

Glad that was the problem!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:02 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Wink

The hawk sky was my second plane, and she will/can handle a little wind! I've flown her in winds strong enough vertical landings were required to get her down.
One suggestion is to add some surface area to the rudder (I used foam/hot glue) which gives it the authority she needs in mild winds.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:05 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

The hawk sky was my second plane, and she will/can handle a little wind! I've flown her in winds strong enough vertical landings were required to get her down.
One suggestion is to add some surface area to the rudder (I used foam/hot glue) which gives it the authority she needs in mild winds.

Agreed, when folks show up at the field with them, I get out my packing tape and a buisness card, and show them how much better it will turn. Once they see that, everyone nearly doubles the rudder.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 PM
NJSwede
3D wannabe

Tip of the day: Put loctite on the nuts for the control horns!

I maidened mine in gusty winds (10-15 mph) today and it flew great! But towards the end of the flight I started getting really disappointed in the lack of elevator authority. I was already planning how to make a bigger control surface... when... during the post-flight I discovered that the nut on the control horn had come loose and the push rod had gotten completely unhooked! It flies pretty well on just ailerons and throttle, I must say! :-) Landed perfect too!

Also, the wings on my plane are REALLY loose. I'm putting Velcro or magnets on them before the next flight.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 AM
zep77

[QUOTE=NJSwede;798055]Tip of the day: Put loctite on the nuts for the control horns!

Yes !! Loctite or glue your control horns/clevises after you get her trimmed and balanced after the first flight. I lost an aileron control rod the other day even after checking them.Those tiny screws are not hitting on much. I had to dig through my old nitro relics to find parts. Think I will add more surface area to rudder and ailerons soon.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:26 PM
bostomper

Put together my hawksky yesterday. I had a difficult time getting throttle to work correctly. I had the 4 buttons on the bottom in the on position, but when I moved them back to the off position everything worked correctly. What are those buttons for? Thanks.
Old 04-07-2011, 04:45 PM
FlyingBrick50
FlyingBrick50

Smile switch

Originally Posted by bostomper View Post
Put together my hawksky yesterday. I had a difficult time getting throttle to work correctly. I had the 4 buttons on the bottom in the on position, but when I moved them back to the off position everything worked correctly. What are those buttons for? Thanks.
They are for reversing the servos if they are moving opposite of the desired direction, left rudder/turn left, turn left, left aileron should go up, right should go down, elevator pull stick back elevator should go up!

Quick Reply: Dynam Hawk Sky RTF

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16074 seconds with 14 queries