Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

RC newbie - faulty ESC/BEC?

Old 11-13-2011, 07:57 PM
JamesHarrison

Question RC newbie - faulty ESC/BEC?

Hi all,

First time poster here and first time flier (I hope, soon). Bought myself a HobbyKing Bixler and the gear to get it in the air, in theory...

I purchased a Turnigy Plush 25A to act as my ESC/BEC for the plane. It came unterminated so ended up waiting a month for a pack of bullet terminals to arrive- soldered it all up nicely and plugged the motor in, the RX in (it's a Turnigy 9X), and then the battery. Motor promptly starts beeping slowly, which the manual indicates as being a lack of throttle signal.

So I started to work out how to get everything working as it should be by re-binding the RX and TX. This didn't work (and is a separate issue), but I also decided to check the settings on the ESC itself with the Turnigy programming card I'd bought. I misinterpreted the manual and plugged in the ESC via the BEC port, then the battery (3S) into the card directly at the same time (rather than battery into ESC directly. Duh.). The card went brighter than usual and didn't let me change any options. When subsequently attempting to program the card the card just sits on the 'connecting' LED. Additionally, when trying to test my RX, I plug it into the BEC and now I get no power to the RX. The ESC just gets very hot very rapidly (even with no motor attached).

Have I successfully toasted my BEC? What can I do to resolve this without replacing the entire thing? I've got a decent amount of electronic engineering know-how and some tools, but not a vast amount, to hand (no oscilloscope).

Cheers,
James
Old 11-13-2011, 08:20 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

It does sound like you have toasted the ESC and the programming card.

How did you manage to plug the battery directly into the programming card

Steve
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM
JamesHarrison

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
It does sound like you have toasted the ESC and the programming card.

How did you manage to plug the battery directly into the programming card

Steve
Doh. Thought I might have.

I plugged it directly in with some creative leads and a creative interpretation of the manual which seemed like an excellent idea at the time. About 10 seconds _after_ I plugged it in for about 5 seconds, I remembered the voltages involved on each side differed slightly and the card was expecting a receiver battery pack putting out more like 5V instead of 12V.

I guess the next question is: Any recommendations on a (preferably UK-sourceable) ESC/programmer combo in the 20-30A region that won't break the bank entirely? Student budget and all that, though given it's looking like my RX or TX may be toast too, looks like I might be putting things on the christmas list instead!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:59 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Giant Cod is a good place to go for bargain priced r/c gear in the UK: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/

The Hobbywing 25A will be the exact same unit as the Turnigy one you got from HobbyKing: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobbywing-...ler-p-265.html

They have the programming card too: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/hobby-wing...-p-402514.html
Old 11-13-2011, 09:22 PM
JamesHarrison

Spot-on and pretty affordable to boot- fantastic, thanks!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:08 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

What Tx are you using?

Steve
Old 11-14-2011, 07:08 AM
JamesHarrison

Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
What Tx are you using?

Steve
It's a Turnigy 9X. Cheap as chips and probably broken too (thanks, HobbyKing!), but all I could really afford at the time. Considering a low-end Spektrum or something along those lines as a replacement if I can't get the bloody thing to bind correctly with the Rx.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:30 AM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

I'd usually recommend saving and getting good r/c gear but if your budget is limited then Giant Cod do a range of cheap 2.4GHz radio gear: http://www.giantcod.co.uk/radiolink-c-40_160_309.html
This may well be the same stuff as Hobbyking supply with a different label, but with a UK supplier at least you can return it if there is a problem.

Steve