General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Ideas To Convince Glow Addicts

Old 06-08-2006, 10:11 PM
arck

Default Ideas To Convince Glow Addicts

Dear Electric friends, I'm in electrics since I flew my first foamy (Yak 55), but in my country I'm alone with these, all my field friends have glow planes and them are real addict with these - "Electric bah doesn't sound, less time to fly" and so on , how could I convince them that electrics is better, no more 20 dollars per gallon, no more engine problems, who can suggest me to improve or explain here all about electrics maybe true my personal web RCPeru.com , or with a better plane, in my hangar I have four glow planes all hanged (Tiger 60, Piper cherokee, shunami sport, hobbistar 60) and eigth E-planes (one yak 55, one superstar ep select, one sirius hotliner, three speedster pylon racer, one Alfa p51D, one skyfly,,,,,
any suggestions??
Old 06-08-2006, 10:25 PM
redgiki

Build an electric plane capable of 200kph. Make it a big one, too.

Or just electrify an existing glow model. A guy at the field recently did that, and one of the old-timers called out "don't run it too lean!" The pilot nodded, and proceeded to blow the socks off the old-timers. As he landed, one of the old-timers remarked, "well, I'll be. Hard to believe that's an electric."

So just show them to be wrong. I did that at my field by flying for 25 minutes on a single battery once, until the glow guys said "Is he ever gonna come down?" I smiled, landed, and nobody teases me
Old 06-08-2006, 10:30 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Default Do we want to do this

I started in this with electrics, and have been electrics ever since. I know this isn't the right answer, but I'm not sure that I want to sell the electric thing to anybody, anymore.
It usually starts with those wonderful conversations about how they thing lipos are as unstable as nitro glycerine, transported on a rough dirt road on a cart with square wheels. If not that, you get the million questions thing. I know what I need to know, but am certainly not a walking version of Motocalc. Electric definitely has more options and combinations than glow, and you can't answer them all off the top of your head. Sometimes you just have to say, "If it looks interesting, then maybe you should study up on it, as I have." Its not that I don't want to be helpful, but to explain everything about electrics in 5 minutes, to an individual who never studied them at all, is a bit unproductive. If you do give them just enough info for them to be dangerous, then you become somehow responsible for thier successes, or lack thereof.
Old 06-08-2006, 10:34 PM
arck

I like your suggestion in a good meaning "electrifly a glow plane" good,,,maybe the piper cherokee, its a .46cc, what could be the setup?,,,,,,,,,but it need to fly very very well,,,,more then 10 minutes
Old 06-08-2006, 10:53 PM
arck

Thanks Bill Im not good in motocalc too, but isn't really difficult no?, since i bought my first E-plane last year to this time, nobody surprise here with the new technology, "no no lipos are unsafe watch it, in compare with glow engines electric with all their stuff are much expensive don't justify the expense, the e-planes are only toys for kids" ,,,I have every Saturday a battle with the glow flyer's,,,,I need a good reason,,,therefore I ask for help,,,,
Old 06-08-2006, 11:14 PM
Gary Hoorn
Chesepeake Bay RC Club

I don't ever try to convert anyone. I fly what I want and so can they. I no longer have any glow planes or engines. I try to answer questions without going into too much detail. I did get the usual questions and comments when I first started flying but now they know I am electric and just "one of the guys." Life is too short to attempt to educate everyone
Gary
Old 06-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Mike Freas

I tried to make a suggestion to a guy at one of the clubs I use to fly at to switch to electric power. He is one of those that likes to hover alot and has crashed about 5 birds because the engine quit on him. His reply was that he liked the power of Nitro and the smell. Well we all know the answer for the power part but he got me on the smell. I guess he wants to stink!
Old 06-08-2006, 11:24 PM
Mike Freas

Originally Posted by arck View Post
I like your suggestion in a good meaning "electrifly a glow plane" good,,,maybe the piper cherokee, its a .46cc, what could be the setup?,,,,,,,,,but it need to fly very very well,,,,more then 10 minutes
Depends on the AUW of the bird. I would think an AXI 4120/18 or the 4130. A 5S lipo pack should be fine but a 6S would be better. Even if you did convert it they would site the cost of the electric set up. Then you would have to spend the time to put the cost down on paper and prove that MOST electric setups are less expensive in the long run. It's only when you get to need only 20C discharge 10C packs that things get really expensive.
Old 06-08-2006, 11:56 PM
arck

Originally Posted by Mike Freas View Post
Depends on the AUW of the bird. I would think an AXI 4120/18 or the 4130. A 5S lipo pack should be fine but a 6S would be better. Even if you did convert it they would site the cost of the electric set up. Then you would have to spend the time to put the cost down on paper and prove that MOST electric setups are less expensive in the long run. It's only when you get to need only 20C discharge 10C packs that things get really expensive.
Thanks Mike, I know is hard to spent to much money to convert this kind of plane, that's the reason I construct three e-pylon racers speed 400 (like the stinger or speedster but from balsa) and bought a p51 from Alfa, next 24 of July until the final in December begins the pylon racers contest here in my field, three categories one q-500, one trainer for beginners and one .25 glow planes like the global me109, I ask the committee to permit me to participate with my ALfa e-p51 in the .25 category, after a large conversation they agree, so I have the opportunity to demonstrate that the electrics have won their space in the fields and maybe win this little glowis
Old 06-09-2006, 12:54 AM
LuckyArmpit
Rehab is for quitters

Alot depends on what your flying and the type. I don't buy into the "electric" is cheaper in the long run. In the long run, both are expensive. Especially if you crash. Two guys at our field doinked 40'ish sized planes. Both were totaled airframes and wings. The guy with the OS .46 only broke the prop but did manage to get dirt in the carb. Had to take apart the engine to clean it.
The guy with the AXI lost the motor, speed control and his lipo pack was toast. So, whats gonna cost ya more to replace?

Dave...
Old 06-09-2006, 01:00 AM
jcblough

I think the main advantage to the electrics is tossing one in your truck at the beginning of the week and if you keep the batteries charged and have a place to go, you can fly 3 days a week after work w/o going to an out of the way club or anything. If you don't crash, it's no fuss no muss. Little/no maintainence, no clean up. Just charge and fly.
Old 06-09-2006, 01:08 AM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

Best way to convince a glow flyer will be to 'show by example'. Pick one of 'thier' toys and Electrify it. Make sure it performs the same or better. Then the glow flyer will say "Wow, EP isn't just for toy parkies anymore ... but just the same, I'll still stick with glow because it's less expensive and I understand 'em" .
Old 06-09-2006, 01:34 AM
jonnyjetprop

Amen brother. Never preach, just answer questions

John

Originally Posted by rclark View Post
Best way to convince a glow flyer will be to 'show by example'. Pick one of 'thier' toys and Electrify it. Make sure it performs the same or better. Then the glow flyer will say "Wow, EP isn't just for toy parkies anymore ... but just the same, I'll still stick with glow because it's less expensive and I understand 'em" .
Old 06-09-2006, 02:36 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Tell them that they smell funny, their planes make funny noises, that their planes are ancient technology, and that only studly manly men and foxy women fly lectric. Ugly folks fly slimers....

Ducking and running for cover.....
Old 06-09-2006, 04:49 AM
qban_flyer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Gary Hoorn View Post
I don't ever try to convert anyone. I fly what I want and so can they. I no longer have any glow planes or engines. I try to answer questions without going into too much detail. I did get the usual questions and comments when I first started flying but now they know I am electric and just "one of the guys." Life is too short to attempt to educate everyone
Gary
I'd have to agree with Gary, let everyone fly whatever type of R/C propulsion they feel most comfortable with.

I visited your web page, it's very nice to be able to read something R/C related "En Castellano". I'll stop by for a longer visit sometime in the future.

Bienvenido a Watt Flyer y buena suerte!

Old 06-09-2006, 12:11 PM
Sky Sharkster
Super Contributor

Default Converts?

Hello Arck, Welcome to Wattflyer! This may not be the advice you've been looking for, but here it is; Just keep doing exactly what you've been doing. Build and fly what you want. Act, don't react.
It's always harder to lead than to follow.
People fear what they don't understand.
Most of the fliers who make derogatory comments about electric are talking with their egos; It's difficult and humbling, after flying for years, to start over. To admit they don't have a clue what we're talking about.
You don't have to, need to or have any reason to, change people's minds.
All you have to do is wait.
We're the future, they're the past.
And they know it.
Ron
Old 06-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

What I've found out about R/Cers in the 9 years I've been flying is that you need a THICK skin, and you need to give as good as you get. There's no room for being oversensitive to the comments these guys make. 99.9% of the time, they're just treating you like "one of the guys." They make jokes at each others' expense all the time. It's all good natured ribbing. You should feel HONORED, not hurt. Back-handed comments from the peanut gallery are signs of RESPECT, not pith and vitriol.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:40 PM
FinnFlyer
Got Sisu?

Lightbulb

Everyone at my field flies gas.
The thing that gets most slimers is a multi-engine set-up.
One fellow at the field has always flown gas.
Now he has a GWS C-47.
Old 06-09-2006, 03:45 PM
rcpilot

Hi

I really wonder why do have these discussions - is it really necessary to convert anyone from glow to electrics or vice versa?

All of us old timers started with glow 'cause that was the only way at that point in time

Then came the electrics and we saw an alternate way to enjoy model aircraft

As for me I truly enjoy both - For almost 5 years I flew electric and then a few months ago I went in for a 46 CAP232 - man I really did miss out on glow for 5 years

I am now going to enjoy both without any prejudice towards glow or electric - I have learnt that sticking to one type means you are the looser

Both have distinct advantages and we must learn to see things that way

Sorry to pontificate - I guess that's the way I am

Happy Landings
Old 06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Solcat

Yeah, leave the glow flyers alone and fly what you want. Although a Multiplex Twin Star II, being big, having two engines and very reliable, might cause a few to come over and ask questions.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
uglyplane
Ugly planes fly better..

I don't try to convince anyone either, if they are interested I'll happily land my plane and share info/enthusiam, but normally the plane does all of the talking. The part about it being more expensive is not entirely true. I can put a cheap and cheerful stick based plane in the air with a $15 outrunner, $25-$35 batt, $25 wing and about $10 worth of fuz and tail group. My Dragonfly, V-tail SS will get off the ground in 2 feet, go vertical(on the old motor) fly for 15min's, fly close in without wind and far out in decent wind. It turns and burns with the stiff wing and V-tail... I'm almost fiinished with another mongrel EPP plane to fly in the back of my house. I had a jogger talk to me yesterday that was totally enthralled with the e-plane, his last experience with RC was a glow plane that crashed and he never went any further with it (I think he said he was 14 at the time). He's sees now that it's a whole new game and it's not that expensive compared to golf, video games & smoking.

With glow, I had to load up, join a club, drive to the field, get the engine running after spilling glow fuel, make a bunch of noise, fly further (enhancing the chance of losing the plane forever in the trees) and then clean up, oil the engine and pack it all back up. No Thanks!
This is the stick plane I have in the air now (since last weekend):

Old 06-09-2006, 04:58 PM
buzzbomber
Matt Smith

Count me as another vote for not trying to convert anyone. I fly both electric and glow(heck I even fly 1/2A, so I'm really in the minority), and they both have their merits. I get just as many questions about my Norvel powered 1/2a stuff from electric-only guys as I get questions about my electric birds from the glow-only crowd. I find it best to just brush off the seemingly snide remarks(about either type) and let the performance of my planes speak for itself, and answer any reasonable questions about either glow OR electric I can. Works for me.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Battlemg

Why convert anyone? We all have different ideas, religion, politics, skin color. Oh, we all fly different planes. We fly inrunner and outrunner, brushed and brushless, sport and 3d and warbirds and others, planes without motors, 2 strokes and 4-strokes. Free-flight and control line.
I personally fly both. I love going to the field. I get to fly and watch others fly. We have discussions about the hobby and it's various equipment. I can watch 30 size to giant scale fly almost every day. I take my typhoon and fly it when my receiver battery is charging in my glow plane.
Just give this electric vs glow thing a break. Some of you folks need therapy for your inferiority complex. No one thinks you are inferior, but YOU do.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 PM
arck

Thanks all for your suggestions, and thanks for your commentary about my web,,,,with this answers I can find that I'm not alone with this, sincerely thanks
werner meier
Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
rclark
Oh boy, here we go again!

To me, it's not about 'converting' someone to EP. It's about showing that there is a 'viable' alternative to Glow power. When I first joined our club, many felt that EP was very underpowered and couldn't fly for long (even tried it) and I was encouraged to go glow (I just grinned and flew my EP stuff) . "By Example", I've busted that myth at our field. Now, did everyone 'jump on the EP band wagon?' . No. But now the power source is 'respected' as very viable alternate to glow at the field. From Hovering, to blast out of hovering, to high speed, flying pattern, etc. I think I (and my sons) have covered all the bases except 'big planes' (.60,.90, etc.) flying EP. I can't afford that and don't have the room anyway :o . Still we 'rib' one another. "Having a little trouble with your engine there, huh . I've got 4 flights in so far :p . Need help? " . All in 'fun' .

Quick Reply: Ideas To Convince Glow Addicts

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10853 seconds with 11 queries