General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Hi all new here looking for some help.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:23 AM
ChristopherM

Default Hi all new here looking for some help.

Hi all,

New here, but not new to RC. I am getting the itch again after not flying for a number of years after the passing of my father. I finally started selling his aircraft, this has been realy hard on me as he was a master builder, many of his planes sold for what I thought was highway robbery just because I didn't know what price to put on them. Everyone that came to my house told me glow is dead and FM radios are out.

I want to fly again and start indoors and my yard. I am thinking about the Parkzone Spitfire or Mustang are these a good choice?

I don't feel the need to fly a 3 channel as I never flown one before.

I have flown all high performance aircraft since my trainer so many years ago.

I will keep many of his aircraft and fly them eather glow/gas or electric but right now I want the best for indoor/outdoor flight electric.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-06-2013, 04:05 AM
hoghead5150

welcome back, sorry to hear about your dad.

if your talking micro spitfire and mustang they are ok, but flying them inside would be a handful. they are pretty quick unless you have a BIG indoor place to fly.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:22 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Welcome to WF, ChristopherM! Those are both good choices. The Spitfire UMX, right? That will be good indoors (In a gymnasium kind of indoor!) and out, thanks to the AS3X stabilization. The P-51 I have heard all good stuff about and should be great for outdoors, but unless you have a lot of land, may be too big for your yard! What tx's were you looking at to guide these machines?
Old 03-21-2013, 09:43 AM
Barrymartin

Welcome back and also welcome in Wf, in my suggestion micro mustang is one of your best, it has pretty long flight times and fast charging depending on charger. you can fly it indoors if you have a pretty decent space...
Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 AM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

The little Eflite Beast would be a good choise too With the gyro it will even handle a good wind. Great little aerobatic plane.

Gord.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:10 AM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by ChristopherM View Post
Hi all,

New here, but not new to RC. I am getting the itch again after not flying for a number of years after the passing of my father. I finally started selling his aircraft, this has been realy hard on me as he was a master builder, many of his planes sold for what I thought was highway robbery just because I didn't know what price to put on them. Everyone that came to my house told me glow is dead and FM radios are out.

I want to fly again and start indoors and my yard. I am thinking about the Parkzone Spitfire or Mustang are these a good choice?
Depends on your skill level... These are decent models, but can be very sensitive especially the ailerons.

I don't feel the need to fly a 3 channel as I never flown one before.
No need to fly 3 channel if you have flown 4 channel before... though there are some 3 channel models that I still find entertaining and I use a DX-18 and have 16 channels used in one plane.

I have flown all high performance aircraft since my trainer so many years ago.
I would recommend one milder performance model for initially getting back into the hobby. Maybe a flat foam model. that has its control throws set on 50% rates.

I will keep many of his aircraft and fly them eather glow/gas or electric but right now I want the best for indoor/outdoor flight electric.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
72 mhz is dieing out.. its not dead. Due to the proliferation of 2.4 ghz (which is better) the 72 mhz pins are rarely used at many clubs' flying sites.

Glow is getting squeezed on both ends with larger electric being reasonably priced and smaller gasoline engines coming out.

You can now get an e-power set up for a .40 size plane including 2 batteries and a decent charger cheaper than buying a comparable power glow engine.

Glow fuel price is rising faster than than gasoline, making it worthwhile to go with a $100 more expensive gasoline engine (for the same power) to make use of the far cheaper fuel. It pays off in one season of flying.

I have gotten rid of almost all of my glow engines and fly about 75% electric, 20% gasoline with glow just for the events at the club that don't permit anything else.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:53 AM
squidger

Flying is like riding a bike. You never forget how to. I had a Nearly 10 year break and when I went back to flying was inverted and low after only 10 mins. Surprised me at the time. If you were a competent flyer before you will have no issues with parkzone planes.