Oklahoma Dust Bowl 3 September 2011 The purpose of this forum is to promote the Oklahoma Dust Bowl Fly In for MS research. The ODB3 Fly In is used to raise awareness of Multiple Sclerosis and raise money to help find a cure. ODB staff also introduce new people to the hobby and the great people in it.

Time to get ready for ODB3!

Old 01-17-2011, 10:28 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Default Time to get ready for ODB3!

Time to get rolling on this years event!
ODB3 will be September 16th and 17th 2011.
Friday will be for arrival of those who are camping or coming from a longer distance and want to stay the night. Practice and open flying etc.
Saturday will be the Fly In itself. This is the day we will be promoting. And this is when all the food, raffles etc will take place.

We need someone who can take over the online soliciting of donations. I will do my best to take care of the local end of things. My health will not permit me to do as much as I did the last 2 years. But it really needs to be done right.

So chime in and lets get rolling!

We have a dedicated website HERE now. So check it out!

Last edited by 1987tc; 06-14-2011 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:19 PM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

For someone who has never been to this event... where is it?
Old 01-17-2011, 11:23 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Ah not too far from Tulsa!
The Fly In takes place at the airport in Holdenville. The nearest larger town is Seminole. That is about 12 miles from here. you can take hwy 48 from 40 south to Holdenville.
We are also having an informal pot luck bbq and flying get together the weekend after Mother's day.
And of course we fly at the airport when ever the weather permits! and you would be welcome to check it out.
Wes
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Default An idea....

Ok I was thinking of doing something different this year. We have been doing shirts so far. And that may still happen this year.
But I was also thinking of doing either hats or perhaps a flight jacket. I will have to see if I can get a price that makes it possible to do.

So thoughts? a couple of style popped into my pea brain. One as of an AVG style.
might just be w wind breaker though....
Old 01-17-2011, 11:39 PM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

Since it's not too far I'll probably be there!
I fly mostly glow stuff at the moment, but I'm probably going to be converting a majority of my fleet to electric here in the near future. I'm finally realizing how big a PITA glow can be.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

We welcome all forms of power. I flew glow from 1969 till 1999 then went all electric.
We will have people buying,selling and trading so feel free to bring anything you want to sell or trade.
A lot of our local group are glow flyers. But some are starting to fly both.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:48 PM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

Cool, I'll probably make it down there at least to spectate.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:11 AM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

Originally Posted by 1987tc View Post
Ok I was thinking of doing something different this year. We have been doing shirts so far. And that may still happen this year.
But I was also thinking of doing either hats or perhaps a flight jacket. I will have to see if I can get a price that makes it possible to do.

So thoughts? a couple of style popped into my pea brain. One as of an AVG style.
might just be w wind breaker though....
I think flight jackets would be cool, a little different from the norm.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:15 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I had great time there last year and got to meet some really nice people. Not sure if I'll make this year or not but hope to.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 AM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Now Tom... Your not going to make me drag out those pictures from last year to blackmail you with are you?
Old 01-18-2011, 02:49 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Now Tom... Your not going to make me drag out those pictures from last year to blackmail you with are you?
No need for that. I was just looking at the Okie Killer hanging on the wall yesterday. All I did was repair the motor mount stick. It still has all the battle scars and a big chunk out of the left wing but she's ready to rip up some Okie foam again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2010-09-11%2016_54_23.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	141962  
Old 01-18-2011, 02:58 AM
1987tc
Super Contributor

There you go that is the spirit! Blood!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:35 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

There you go that is the spirit! Blood!
Blood? It's 8 months away and Toms already trying to find a way out. Any one can get lucky one time, but not twice.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:22 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by surfer dude View Post
Blood? It's 8 months away and Toms already trying to find a way out. Any one can get lucky one time, but not twice.
Ouch!
Old 01-23-2011, 11:36 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Sounding a bit like a challenge to me....
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
kbkopy
kbkopy

Hi,

I have been building and flying models for over 70 years. I'm currently the Secretary, Newsletter Author, Editor, and Publisher of TORKS TALK Newsletter.

Send me your MS event information at
[email protected] and I will put something in our monthly Newsletter.

You can check out the 2010 and 2011 Newsletters posted on our web site at TORKS.ORG under Club Info - Newsletters.

Regards,

Ken Kehlet AMA 1528
Old 02-04-2011, 03:04 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Thank you Ken!
I live in Jenks/Tulsa, but I will not and have not missed this event. I look forward to it all year. This will only be the third year, but it get's bigger, and better every year. Wes, and the other local pilots, and sponsers do a great job putting the event together. Just the raffle prizes are worth the trip. I'm guessing that Wes had over $2000 dollars worth of raffle prizes donated last year. That's a pretty good haul for about 30 pilots.
Please join us this year, and tell as many pilots in your area as you can.
Bring some night flyers if you can, I hate flying alone at night. It's scary!
Oh, welcome to WattFlyer!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:24 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

We need someone who can take over the online soliciting of donations. I will do my best to take care of the local end of things. My health will not permit me to do as much as I did the last 2 years. But it really needs to be done right.
So chime in and lets get rolling!
Wes, I would like to help with the donation solicitation. Let me know if you would like me to do this for you. If so, You should have my Email, and cell phone number, If not, I will PM them to you.

Originally Posted by lucas2696 View Post
For someone who has never been to this event... where is it?
Lucas You can follow me. I hope to go down the Saturday after mothers day, for the spring get together.
For the Dust Bowl in September, I will be going down on Friday afternoon, Leaving Tulsa about 3-4pm. I like to get there in time to go out to eat with Wes. He knows all the good spots to eat in Holdenville. Both of them. I will spend the night on Friday, and possibly Saturday night if anyone is staying till Sunday.
Old 02-05-2011, 04:08 AM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Wes, I would like to help with the donation solicitation. Let me know if you would like me to do this for you. If so, You should have my Email, and cell phone number, If not, I will PM them to you.

Lucas You can follow me. I hope to go down the Saturday after mothers day, for the spring get together.
For the Dust Bowl in September, I will be going down on Friday afternoon, Leaving Tulsa about 3-4pm. I like to get there in time to go out to eat with Wes. He knows all the good spots to eat in Holdenville. Both of them. I will spend the night on Friday, and possibly Saturday night if anyone is staying till Sunday.
That would be great and really help a lot!
I am really trying to arrange for some indoor flying during the September event.
There is a gym only a couple of miles from the airport that is a real possibility.
Old 02-06-2011, 12:51 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Ok Dust Bowl flyers, it's official, I will be doing the donation solicitations for the event this year.
I will be calling on the past donors, and calling on as many new ones as I can. Contacts will be made between May, and July, by email, and phone calls. This is a numbers game, the more I contact, the more we get, so I can use you help.
If you have R/C shops that you like, Please PM me, and I will add them to my contact list.
Also if you would like to donate an Item, (a plane, motor, esc, etc...) Please bring them to the event. This is a charity event to raise money for MS. I havn't gotten the info from Wes yet, but I believe all donations will be tax deductable. We should have a form, or at least a receipt for all of the vendors, and private donations, so that it can be deducted from your taxes.
Purchase of raffle tickets are not tax deductable. The money is going to the MS society, but raffle ticket purchases are considered a risk towards a gain, like buying a lottery ticket.
Do plan on buying lots of raffle tickets, start saving a few bucks a week now. I don't think anyone went home empty handed last year, and one guy with only $40 worth of tickets, walked away with about $800 worth of R/C stuff.
I thank you in advance for your help, and support to make this the best Dust Bowl yet.
Brett
Old 02-06-2011, 04:24 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

On the tax deduction of donations. We have never formed an official club at the airport where we fly and the event is held. Many of the people who fly there all the time are not AMA members.
We have not filed as a not for profit organization. We can and will give you a receipt for any donations you make. That worked fine the last 2 years for the companies who wanted to take the donations. With that said most of them did not care about the deduction at all. They simply wanted to be a part of this. And wanted to help. Many of the local people did not even care about being recognized for their help. Again they wanted to help and that is what was important to them.

I cannot express how much Brett's help with this means. It takes a real load off of my shoulders. I will still be doing all I can with the fly in. and I am working on something really special for a prize(s) It is something that I have not heard of anyone else doing. But I think would go over very well.

My next post is going to be a little different. I hope it will help people gain a little more understanding. And maybe help someone who is on the fence about being involved with the fly in come off the fence and want to help.

You would be amazed how even little things can make a BIG difference.

Wes
Old 02-06-2011, 04:25 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Default Understanding what ms means

A FRIEND OF MINE HAD THIS IN HIS BLOG AND IT IS SO TRUE ...THE THINGS WE GO THROUGH ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS ..IF YOU CARE AT ALL EVEN JUST A TEENY BIT YOU WILL TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS.

I have MS also and what is said here is so very true!

Understanding What Having MS Means

Having MS means many things change, and a lot of them are invisible. Unlike having cancer or being hurt in an accident, most people do not understand even a little about MS and it's effects on us; and many of those who think they do know are actually misinformed. In the spirit of informing those who wish to understand...

These are the things that I would like you to understand about me before you judge me:

Please understand that being sick does not mean I'm no longer a human being. I have to spend most of my day in considerable pain and exhaustion and if you visit I probably don't seem like much fun to be with, but I'm still me stuck inside this body. I still worry about school, and work, and my family and friends, and most of the time I'd still like to hear you talk about yours too.

Please understand the difference between "happy" and "healthy". When you've got the flu you probably feel miserable with it for a week or two, but I've been sick for years. I can't be miserable all the time, in fact, I work hard at not being miserable. So if you're talking to me and I sound happy, it means I'm happy, that's all. It doesn't mean that I'm still not in a lot of pain, or extremely tired, or that I'm getting better, or any of those things. Please, don't say "Oh, you are sounding better!" I am not sounding better, I am sounding happy. If you want to comment on that, you are welcome to.

Please understand that being able to stand for 10 minutes doesn't necessarily mean that I can stand for 20 minutes or an hour. Just because I was able to stand up for 30 minutes yesterday doesn't mean I can do the same today. With a lot of diseases and disorders one is either paralyzed, or they can move. With MS it's far more confusing: one hour or day or week or year we may have normal - or almost normal - mobility; the next hour or day or week or year we may be unable to sit, stand, walk, think, remember, or even get out of bed, we may be unsociable or depressed, and almost assuredly we are in pain. We have good days and bad, and during our good days we may truly not "look sick", but we are.

Please understand that making plans other than immediate ones is a crap shoot at best, because we can't know how we will feel or what our physical, mental or emotional condition will be. If we seem to hedge about making plans with you, please understand it's because we truly don't know if we will be able to honor them. The same applies if we have to cancel plans previously made or invitations, even at the last minute - it is not personal, and it makes us as frustrated and sad as it does you! That is what MS does to us, and it's how we must live our lives. It is not just a matter of sucking it in, or bucking up, or psyching ourselves up; believe me if we could, we would!

Please understand that MS is variable - with each person and from person to person. It is quite possible and often all too common, that one day I can walk to the park and back, or bicycle 2-4 miles, or swim 12 laps, or even run with my dog; while the next day I may have great difficulty getting out of bed, walking to the kitchen, or be unable to walk at all without a cane, walker or other mobility aid. Please don't attack me when I can't do today what I did before by saying "but you did it yesterday!" or "you did it before!" Your frustration can not begin to compare to our own frustration. The very act of planning while not knowing what condition we will be in is stressful and tiring in itself. If you want me to do something with you, or go someplace with you... ASK if I can. I may well dearly want to go, but simply be physically unable to do so. Understand if I have to say no today, but please ask me again soon.

Please understand that "getting out and doing things" does not make me feel better and can often make me seriously worse. Telling me that I need a treadmill, or that I just need to lose (or gain) weight, get this exercise machine, join this gym, try these classes, take these vitamins, herbs, tonics and snake-oil cures will frustrate me to tears and is totally incorrect. If I was capable of doing things, don't you think I would? And when I am capable, I DO! I work with my doctors and physical therapists and follow the exercise and diet plans they prescribe.

Another statement that hurts: "You just need to push yourself more..." Obviously, MS directly impacts muscles and ours do not regenerate as quickly as yours do. Pushing ourselves beyond comfortable physical limits can be dangerous and cause a severe relapse. On the other hand, doing what we can when we can is excellent therapy both physically and mentally... and we do! If I work at a part-time job for 4 hours one day, my fatigue level is greater than yours if you worked a 12 hour day. Many days I can still do anything I ever did as well as I ever did ... but only one thing per day or week or month. Everything drains us and exhausts us exponentially more than a normal, healthy person our age (whatever age that is); our recovery time is also exponentially greater. If I go to a party or dinner and show tonight for several hours and have a wonderful time, I do so knowing with 99% certainty that tomorrow I will need all day to rest and recover, much of it spent lying down. MS causes secondary depression in and of itself; our depression may escalate when dealing with days on end of constant pain and limited mobility or cognitive function. We are NOT tired because we are depressed! We are depressed because we are so tired.

When I say I can't do something because I am so fatigued, please don't say "Oh I know what you mean! I am worn out too, but..." because you don't. MS fatigue is not like any tiredness you have ever experienced, nor has anyone who does not have MS or other fatigue-producing disorder. I know you mean well, but it's irritating to hear because it tells me you don't understand me or my MS at all. I may well be just plain tired - we get normally tired during remission phases just as any normal person does - but trust me: we know the difference, and it's huge.

When we are together, please understand when I say I have to sit down, lie down, get a drink, take these pills, or get into a cool place that I have to do it and do it now! No, I can't walk another 5 blocks to the car, or walk back down the hill I just climbed up. Don't baby me, don't hover over me, don't do things for me unless I ask - we are very proud and never want to be a burden. Our independence, or what we can retain of it, is of paramount importance to us! Please help by listening to and believing what we say we need and act upon it accordingly and as quickly as possible. You wouldn't question a known diabetics request for orange juice or insulin, so please don't question us or urge us to 'keep on... we are almost there!' Not unless you are prepared to a) carry us the rest of the way or b) call 911. MS does not wait, nor does it forgive... when we say "please ... now!" it means now.

If you want to suggest a cure to me, don't. It's not because I don't appreciate the thought, and it's not because I don't want to get well. It's because I have had almost every single one of my family and friends suggest something at one point or another. At first I tried them all, but then I realized that I was using up so much energy trying things that I was making myself sicker, not better. If there was something that cured, or even markedly helped, all forms of MS the world would know about it. If you still insist on promoting 'cures' to me or giving me 'this will make you better' advice, do so; but understand I won't rush out and try it though I may well continue to research it on my own and discuss those findings with my doctors.

In many ways I depend on you... people who are not sick... I need you to visit with me when I am unable to go out; sometimes I may need you to help me with shopping, cooking or cleaning; sometimes I may even need you to do those things for me. I may need you to go with me to my doctor appointments to help me remember and understand their direction, or I may just need a ride. I need you on so many different levels... as much as possible, treat me as normally as possible, enjoy me and allow me to enjoy you as much as possible, and.... as much as it's possible...

I need you to understand me.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:49 PM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

If you have R/C shops that you like, Please PM me, and I will add them to my contact list.
You should try James Ochoa down at Hobbytown, he's a great guy and has donated generously to the Tulsa Rocketry Club for 3 or 4 years now. He usually is at the shop till around 3pm on weekdays, sorry I don't have a phone # for ya.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

A FRIEND OF MINE HAD THIS IN HIS BLOG AND IT IS SO TRUE ...THE THINGS WE GO THROUGH ON A DAY TO DAY BASIS ..IF YOU CARE AT ALL EVEN JUST A TEENY BIT YOU WILL TAKE THE TIME TO READ THIS.

I have MS also and what is said here is so very true!

Understanding What Having MS Means.
Thanks Wes. This helps a lot.

Originally Posted by lucas2696 View Post
You should try James Ochoa down at Hobbytown, he's a great guy and has donated generously to the Tulsa Rocketry Club for 3 or 4 years now. He usually is at the shop till around 3pm on weekdays, sorry I don't have a phone # for ya.
Thanks Lucas!
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM
cgbole

So is this a Airplane only event? I'm all electric but fly Helis..
thanks
chuck

Quick Reply: Time to get ready for ODB3!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.21210 seconds with 14 queries