Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Radian Pro... Not impressed.

Old 12-25-2010, 11:13 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Default Radian Pro... Not impressed.

So I get my son a BNF Radian Pro for Christmas. We got it all put together and charged up and headed to the field after Christmas dinner. She flew right out of my hand without so much as a push forward and climbed straight out with plenty of power. So much for the power issues some folks have been discussing, his seems to have ample power.

Problem is he is bringing it around and it seemed like it locked out on him. He managed to save it and bring it around for a landing. He said he wasn't sure whether he had just stalled it or if it had locked out.

So I took it back up and sure enough on climb out it locked up on me and went into fail safe, of course being a glider it had plenty of time to recover so I climbed on up and fiddled around with it a bit, I couldn't duplicate the lock out again so I was bringing it around to land it on final, with just enough height for a lockout to be bad, but not enough to recover if one happened, it happened again. As I was making a turn to line up for landing it locked out again and would not come out of the turn, she kind of rolled over on to her side and hit the ground nose first hard enough to wrinkle the foam and break the wing mounting tabs. When I checked it out there was a red led flashing a sequence of 5 flashes on the Rx, I haven't seen that before on a Spektrum Rx.

Needless to say I am not very happy with it right now...
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

what'a bummer Bill, bubsteve
Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Low voltage (that is what the flash meant). Suspect your BEC is wonky......

Sorry man..

Mike
Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by rcers View Post

Sorry man..

Mike

Yeah I figured, what confused me a bit is that the yellow link light was still on steady and there was a separate red led flashing. I haven't seen that one before, must be a new thing.

This is a stock, out of the box Radian Pro BNF some something is definitely amiss.

Especially to lock out with the motor off!
Old 12-26-2010, 01:57 AM
RCguy
Lekkie challenged

So sorry to hear that Bill. take it back to where you bought it & tell them what happened.
Mark
Old 12-26-2010, 02:51 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by RCguy View Post
So sorry to hear that Bill. take it back to where you bought it & tell them what happened.
Mark
Got it from Atlantahobby.com

I am certain that Cliff will make it right, just kinda sucks as we are leaving for Tennessee in the morning to spent the week with family. Mason was going to fly at my inlaws as they have 5 acres of land and wide open skies all around it.

He's really bummed as am I that he won't get to do that now.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:55 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

That's a lousy thing. Looks like warranty time there. This shouldn't be happening.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:57 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
That's a lousy thing. Looks like warranty time there. This shouldn't be happening.
Have you heard of it happening to someone else?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:17 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

the Radian pro BNF comes with a New Style AR600 receiver, there seems to be some problems with the new receiver, send your plane back for a full refund.

Radian Pro BNF

http://www.maldiviandigital.com/f399...43/index2.html

Re: Arisat AR-600
Your receiver bootloader must have been an earlier one, and cannot use the new.
so please check what bootloader you had and the one used.
for recovery;
read this thread through;

Last edited by CHELLIE; 12-26-2010 at 03:47 AM.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:39 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
the Radiant pro BNF comes with a New Style AR600 receiver, there seems to be some problems with the new receiver, send your plane back for a full refund.

Radian Pro BNF

for recovery;

Don't want a refund, want a plane that works. And I didn't get a Radiant pro, I got a Radian Pro

The link you posted requires a logon to read, what is that?
Old 12-26-2010, 03:45 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Don't want a refund, want a plane that works. And I didn't get a Radiant pro, I got a Radian Pro

The link you posted requires a logon to read, what is that?
Replace the receiver with a known good one, send the AR600 receiver back for a refund, or take a BFH to it You will feel much much better after that the web page works for me, maybe your security or cookies are set up to high, Take care, Chellie

Radian Pro BNF Highlights:
  • 5-channel control - throttle, aileron, elevator, rudder and flaps
  • Powerful 480-size 960Kv brushless outrunner motor installed
  • E-flite® Pro 30A brushless ESC installed
  • Ready to fly in minutes
  • Durable, lightweight and repairable Z-Foam™ construction
  • Spektrum 2.4GHz DSM2 AR600 receiver installed
  • 3S 11.1V 1300mAh Li-Po battery pack included
  • 2-3 cell DC LiPo balancing charger included
Old 12-26-2010, 03:48 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Replace the receiver with a known good one, send the AR600 receiver back for a refund, or take a BFH to it You will feel much much better after that the web page works for me, maybe your security or cookies are set up to high, Take care, Chellie
I'm not going to take a Hammer to anything thanks. I don't think I would fell better beating anything that should be covered under a warranty. I don't think it's too much to expect a BNF airplane to work correctly out of the box without having to replace, upgrade, or beat parts of it with a hammer...

I'm just trying to see if others have had this problem and no I know how to work a computer too. the attached .zip file in the first post requires a logon, I can read the thread fine
Old 12-26-2010, 04:15 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Bill sorry to read the problems with Mason's new plane hope you can get it straightened out. Does stink he can't bring it with him to fly while he is on vacation.
John
Old 12-26-2010, 04:20 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Bill sorry to read the problems with Mason's new plane hope you can get it straightened out. Does stink he can't bring it with him to fly while he is on vacation.
John
Yeah it pretty much does John. We're both pretty down in the dumps right now.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:23 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Looks like the ESC BEC is at its limits on the Radian, might want to add a UBEC for insurance, maybe that will be the fix, I have taken a BFH to a JR receiver that was glitching like crazy, I felt Much Much better after that, Great Stress Relief most JR receivers dont like E Power, thats why i use Berg receivers now on 72 Mhz, Hope that helps, Chellie

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...340015&page=64

Dec 22, 2010, 11:56 AM #948 tking2097
'Sky' King

Tested the BEC- Beware of adding Any Additional Loads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahtware
Bernie, OUDsurfer and others got me thinking, what ESC do we have? I looked it up and was surprised to find it was a switching type, but with only 700mah power! From the HH website:

"30-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC
Key Features

* Up to 30-amp continuous current with proper airflow, 35-amp peak
* 5-volt Switch-Mode BEC circuit capable of 700mAh continuous current on any recommended input voltage
* Drives up to 5 analog or 4 digital sub-micro servos with the BEC..."

Am I wrong, or does this seem like an awful low number? Most ESCs I have provide 2 - 3A draw although, all but one are the non-switching kind.

I measured the load on the BEC for my Radian Pro BNF prior to its maiden, with reflex, camber, flaps and crow programmed using a DX7 and stock AR600 receiver. Measurements were made using an Eagle Tree data logger with the low current servo sensor option. This provides good resolution for low current measurements.

The Eagle Tree Servo Current Sensor was placed in series with the BEC lead that connects the receiver, so measurements included the power used by the receiver and servos at all times.

For the actual measurement, I enable all possible servo configurations of reflex, camber, flaps and crow, both individually and mixed. I next worked the rudder, elevator and ailerons with the reflex, camber, flaps and crow options in all possible configurations. Although this was a static test, I did prop the wings up on books to add some loading to the flap and aileron servos.

Peak BEC current consumed: ~650mA
Max BEC current rating: 700mA
Actual use to Maximum current permitted: 7.7% margin

This test shows the stock BEC in this stock Radian Pro BNF is very close to its limits, and adding any additional device could result in exceeding the output power specifications of the BEC. This means adding a camera, an additional servo(s), lights, swapping in a different spec servo in an emergency, or most anything added may require adding and using an external BEC in order to avoid BEC overload!!

- Tom
(Busy installing a Turnigy 3 Amp Switch-Mode UBEC in my Radian... no lights, cameras, extra servo... what are they thinking?!? Say buddy, can't you spare an extra ampere in this thing )

rcers
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Friends: (5)

Sorry man..

Mike
Old 12-26-2010, 04:28 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Hey at least between the 2 of you you have a good selection of planes to choose from for a road trip to the in-laws. This is definitely one of the headaches of this great hobby, shouldn't of happened, but it did.

You guys have a safe trip and bring along that Little Beast you will just have to flip a coin to see who flies first.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:33 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gramps2161 View Post
Hey at least between the 2 of you you have a good selection of planes to choose from for a road trip to the in-laws. This is definitely one of the headaches of this great hobby, shouldn't of happened, but it did.

You guys have a safe trip and bring along that Little Beast you will just have to flip a coin to see who flies first.
Yeah we'll take the beast for sure, and my Glider so we'll have something to fly. We just really look forward to flying our Gliders together this time.

Don't always work out like we want it to though I suppose huh?
Old 12-26-2010, 05:32 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Don't always work out like we want it to though I suppose huh?
Truer words have not been spoken. Seems lately I've been putting more and more 'emphasis' on my flying sessions, only to be let down. Like driving 100 miles to fly, only to break the plane getting it out of the car or something like that.

Hang in there. Imagine how frustrating it would be to a total novice. Your experience had you on the problem right away.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Dave E

Bill, I hate to hear Mason's Pro went in, especially on the first flight. I know that both of you were looking forward to some good trimes with this plane.

Whatever the problem turns out to be, let us know. I'm doing several mods on mine already (including a UBEC) , and would like to be aware of anything else I need to watch out for.

Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 12-26-2010 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Correct typo
Old 12-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Turner
Super Contributor

the Radian pro BNF comes with a New Style AR600 receiver, there seems to be some problems with the new receiver, send your plane back for a full refund.

Radian Pro BNF

for recovery;

Lets not cause any unnecessary confusion here. The Arisat AR-600 mentioned above is a satellite TV receiver.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by turner View Post
lets not cause any unnecessary confusion here. The arisat ar-600 mentioned above is a satellite tv receiver.
thank you!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:42 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Peak BEC current consumed: ~650mA
Max BEC current rating: 700mA
Actual use to Maximum current permitted: 7.7% margin

This test shows the stock BEC in this stock Radian Pro BNF is very close to its limits, and adding any additional device could result in exceeding the output power specifications of the BEC. This means adding a camera, an additional servo(s), lights, swapping in a different spec servo in an emergency, or most anything added may require adding and using an external BEC in order to avoid BEC overload!!
Holy cow! How can a company who makes a great plane like the original Radian strike out on so many new releases! It reminds me of Demi Moore, gorgeous, talented full of promise, and she couldn't pick two good movies in a row to save her life! In fact she has a great talent for picking groaners, just like Horizon seems to lately.

Looks like they used the great Radian name and stuck it on a buffalo turd. I'm afraid to learn anything new about the bird because I know it's likely to be bad.... This is depressing.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 12-27-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:43 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Holy cow! How can a company who makes a great plane like the original Radian strike out on so many new releases! It reminds me of Demi Moore, gorgeous, talented full of promise, and she couldn't pick two good movies in a row to save her life! In fact she has a great talent for picking groaners, just like Horizon seems to lately.

Looks like they used the great Radian name and stuck it on a buffalo turd. I'm afraid to learn anything new about the bird because I know it's likely to be bad.... This is depressing.
I dunno, I wouldn't shoot it down completely yet, I've been reading on the "other" forum and it seems like just about everyone is having great success out of the box. A few issues here and there but nothing overtly bad.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:25 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Turner View Post
Lets not cause any unnecessary confusion here. The Arisat AR-600 mentioned above is a satellite TV receiver.
Thats good to know, had me wondering there for a while
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM
Dave E

There have been a few issues, yes. Most common was low power which Horizon finally found was that some of the props were incorrectly pitched. This after they sent out a large number of free motors thinking that was the problem. Also, some of us had warped ailerons due to packaging, an easy fix. So far, Bill, unfortunately, has been the only one I've seen with his particular problem. Given Horizon's excellent rep for customer service I'm sure they'll make it right. I've built dozens of ARFs and, honestly, I've never seen one that didn't need at least some work.

I'm doing a number of mods to my Radian Pro, just to make it perform better and be more reliable, but that's just me.

Quick Reply: Radian Pro... Not impressed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.21391 seconds with 12 queries