Tulsa Unclub

Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 AM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

Is this thread dead as of late or what?
Old 10-07-2012, 06:36 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

The reason this thread is dead is because the two people who were most vocal about the Unclub (the same two people who "started" the Unclub), are no longer with the Unclub!

My web site has shut down. Many thanks to everyone who purchased from me in the last 6 years.

While the web site is shut down, I do still have a few items in stock. If you need anything, please call my number (it is still in service), or e-mail (or PM) me. I will make you a great deal!

All my stuff will go on eBay before the end of the year -- I have to get rid of it all before 2013, or I have to report it to the IRS.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:35 AM
thunker54

Here's a little flight with my trusty 'ol Slow Stick pulling a streamer with the GoPro HERO2 shooting rearwards, a #16 808 camera forward and a few little clips from my head camera as well.
Not at the Garnett ('unclub') field though. Just so much faster and easier for me to fly from a closer park/field since I live in Brookside by the river.
This flight was from Whiteside park though. I was running some errands out that way and threw the Slow Stick in the Jeep.

https://vimeo.com/50949256
Old 10-08-2012, 03:08 PM
dr_boone

the thread only seems dead because we are all out flying. I'm sure it will pick up after the weather turns. If you want to know what is going on come out Saturday or Sunday morning...........
Old 10-08-2012, 07:55 PM
1987tc
Super Contributor

Never mind.....

Last edited by 1987tc; 10-09-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:25 AM
3doverground
3D Crazy

[QUOTE=Lieutenant Loughead;884955]The reason this thread is dead is because the two people who were most vocal about the Unclub (the same two people who "started" the Unclub), are no longer with the Unclub!

Brett, started the thread, as a way to communicate with each other about things happening at 41st and Garnett. There have been a few of us flying out there for a number of years. The Unclub wattflyer forum has has been a great tool for informing new people of our whereabouts. But as far two people starting the flying out there I disagree.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

[QUOTE=3doverground;885493]
Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
The reason this thread is dead is because the two people who were most vocal about the Unclub (the same two people who "started" the Unclub), are no longer with the Unclub!

Brett, started the thread, as a way to communicate with each other about things happening at 41st and Garnett. There have been a few of us flying out there for a number of years. The Unclub wattflyer forum has has been a great tool for informing new people of our whereabouts. But as far two people starting the flying out there I disagree.
LOL -- then you are misinformed. Yes -- there were one or two random people who flew out at 41st and Garnett -- but it was disorganized. I'm the one who came along and organized the group, and built the group over the years. (Even when I stopped flying at the Unclub several years ago, I would fly at other locations, draw in new people, and send them to the Unclub!) I met James at the site, and we talked about the possibility of organizing a larger group. (James and I would later argue over who started the Unclub, which is why I give him some credit now.)

I was one of those people who flew at 41st and Garnett before the Unclub started. I named the Unclub. Most people have no idea WHY it is named the Unclub. If you can find someone who thinks they named the Unclub, I would be very interested in hearing their reasoning.

The real reason has to do with a "Fine Wine" store that my father owned in San Antonio -- he had a "wine club" that he called the "Unclub". I thought that was a great name for an R/C club that did not require dues, or AMA membership, or club officers -- so I borrowed the Unclub name from his store. Does anyone here know the name of that "Fine Wine" store in San Antonio? I do! If you are interested, I can dig up some Unclub advertisement from the early 1970's to prove my point.

Brett is a great guy, but he came along much later (as did everyone else on this thread). Brett started this thread on 3/28/2009 -- I keep a flight log of EVERY flight I've ever made, and I can assure you that the Unclub was formed MUCH earlier than 2009. If you are interested, I can dig up that information for you.

Do you think the Unclub just formed by itself? Do you have any idea how much work went into organizing that club, to get it off the ground? Do you think the Unclub just named itself? Who do you think named it? Who do you think organized it? Who do you think worked out the deal with the kite flyers to share the field?

But that's cool -- you keep believing what you want to believe; I'm out anyway. I find it very interesting that the Unclub became exactly what I was trying to avoid! The Unclub very quickly became clique-ish, un-welcoming, and un-cool. The Unclub took on a life of it's own and the members made their founder feel unwelcome -- it is just amazing how quickly it turned on me... ...and I still don't understand how the group decided I was the bad guy...

My web site has shut down. Many thanks to everyone who purchased from me in the last 6 years.
Just to be clear, this statement is a bit of a dig -- because almost NOBODY at the Unclub purchased from me in the last 6 years.

Last edited by Lieutenant Loughead; 10-20-2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:55 AM
kensbusa

Very interesting Guy. I always considered the name "Unclub" to reflect just what it was, a place to fly without having to pay and not having to belong to a larger governing orginazation. As far as you being the "bad guy" I don't think anyone thought of you as being bad, maybe a bit stand offish and a know it all, but not bad. Barry was just stating who started the thread not the "un". I'm not going to use the word CLUB on here again because it never was one. Just a place where people came to fly and be with like minded people, and anywhere you have a group of people they just naturaiiy tend to hang with one more than another, and it just seems over time a clique is formed. I don't know really when you started flying out there and to be honest I don't really care. All I know is that Paul, Barry, and myself started flying glow and hi-start gliders out there in the early to mid 80's and I certainly dont recall ever seeing you or anyone else out there. When the wind wasn't cooperating for kites we would break out the planes. The only thing out there was the Home Builder's Assn. They had a big ass sign out there along garnett that was two sided and we could get behind it to take a leak. Heck those apartments across the road on garnett wasn't even there. And here is another bit of information. If I ever "give up on rc" you will never see my fat ass on this or any other thread here. Just saying!!
Old 10-21-2012, 05:47 AM
kensbusa

Oh Yeah......if anyone follows my lead and starts refering to the fields as the "UN"...........you just be sure to give credit where credit is due. I said it first.LOL!
Old 10-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

...and THAT's exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

Thanks for helping me prove my point!
Old 10-21-2012, 11:19 PM
kensbusa

...and THAT's exactly the kind of attitude I'm talking about.

Thanks for helping me prove my point!

Your welcome....if you need anymore help, all you have to do is ask.
Old 10-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Arjay

Default Rockin

You guys should be writers for the next VP debate. Both smooth with the words. You would not by any chance be a demo and a repub? Just askin!!
Old 10-22-2012, 06:47 AM
kensbusa

Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
You guys should be writers for the next VP debate. Both smooth with the words. You would not by any chance be a demo and a repub? Just askin!!
Arjay, being as how I don't have a political bone in my body I guess ya could say Im both..or maybe neither....heck, I don't know. To be perfectly honest I haven't bothered to vote since Wallace run. That sorta tell's my age huh, and you'll also never hear me complaining about who wins whatever office. I would probably become more politically involved if our votes really counted but as long as the electoral college is alive and well and in a position to turn the popular vote into a meaningless waste of time by actually voting the loser into office I think I'll just stay home. I'm not a 100% sure but I believe that has happened twice in history.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:52 PM
Arjay

Kenny very well said concerning the electorial college. How is it in these modern times of information sharing that we let the popular vote of the people, be overturned by a bunch of appointed knuckelheads that cheat the voter?? Where is my gun!!! And that is my last political comment. Thank you, and God bless America.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:57 PM
dr_boone

WOW 10 post in the last 3 days... This thread isn't dead afterall....LOL
that is what started this discussion isn't it?
Old 10-22-2012, 11:56 PM
kensbusa

OK! It's probably going to get me kicked off here for straying way,way off topic but after my previous statement about the electoral college I felt like I had to research it a bit further if for nothing else than to satisfy my own curiousity, so here goes Kenny's history lesson for today. Please bear with me and try to forgive me, but read on, I learned a couple of things and that can never be a bad deal.

The Electorial College is a hold over from the days of Slavery. See, they counted slaves as 2/3rds of a person, for purposes of voting, but they didn't actually want them to vote. The Electorial College was designed so that votes would be cast on their behalf. Many states back then also had laws that you had to own land in order to vote, so this kept voting out of the hands of the poor. While these laws about slavery and not getting to vote unless you own land have gone away, the Electorial College remains.

I would love to see this overturned, but this would require a consitutional ammendment. To get that on the ballot requires a 2/3rds majority vote in the Senate. Republicans would never vote for it. Why? Numerically, there are more Democrats (about 10% more) than Republicans. But because of the way Electorial votes are cast, they don't have a majority in as many states (a few states, like Illinois and New York where they have a big majority, and then a whole lot of state's where they have like 48% of the population). If they switched over to the more fair "one person, one vote" system, then it would be very hard for a Republican to get elected President.

The overturns that I was able to research on the net were more than I originally thought. I didn't delve into it very far so maybe there's more...

1824......Adams vs Jackson

1876......Hayes vs Tilden

1888......Harrison vs Cleveland

AND IN OUR LIFETIME

George W. Bush vs Al Gore

Maybe thats why I never cared much for Bush....he wasn't really President!!
He always seemed to have a smirk on his face like he put something over on the American public.

Alright, no more political crud from me, and I hope it was informational.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:35 AM
thunker54

Speaking of "UN" things, here's an old poster that only us older Tulsa natives will appreciate.
Yep - that's Mazeppa Pompazoidi -aka- G. Ailard S. Artain -aka- Gailard Sartain
http://www.mazeppa.com/MMRCHome1.html

Remember the "Uncanny Film Festival" with Tulsa's own Gary Busey as Teddy Jack Eddie? Every Saturday night in the early 70's.
http://www.mazeppa.com/Mazeppa1.html
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	mazappa.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	163681  
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 AM
Arjay

Bravo for the political lesson, and you never know, You may have started the Thread For The Demise of the Electorial College. CHEERS
Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 AM
kensbusa

Originally Posted by thunker54 View Post
Speaking of "UN" things, here's an old poster that only us older Tulsa natives will appreciate.
Yep - that's Mazeppa Pompazoidi -aka- G. Ailard S. Artain -aka- Gailard Sartain
http://www.mazeppa.com/MMRCHome1.html

Remember the "Uncanny Film Festival" with Tulsa's own Gary Busey as Teddy Jack Eddie? Every Saturday night in the early 70's.
http://www.mazeppa.com/Mazeppa1.html

Remember Mazeppa znd the "UN"canny film festivel well. Went to school with Sartain............Will Rogers High School Class of 1963. I think Busey went to Webster or maybe Edison, Not really sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:49 AM
3doverground
3D Crazy

Have not thought of Mazzepa in a while, cool old show. And the uncola lamp.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:45 PM
thunker54

Originally Posted by kensbusa View Post
Remember Mazeppa znd the "UN"canny film festivel well. Went to school with Sartain............Will Rogers High School Class of 1963. I think Busey went to Webster or maybe Edison, Not really sure.
A fellow Roper! Class of '72 here. Grew up around 2nd & Yale. Leon Russell (Claude Russell Bridges) was a Roger's graduate as well - but probably a few years before you.
Busey went to Hale high school I believe.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:54 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Any one have a cheap DSM2 compatible receiver I can buy?

I went to set up the radio in my SE5a, turned around to grab a receiver off my parts wall, and there were non. I used the last one on my bumble bee quad, and forgot to order more.

As for the Political stuff, and Guy's land run claim on the Un-Club field.
Keep it commin. This is the most action this thread has seen in the last year.
Just to add fuel to Guy's fire.... James and I named the Un-Club. We came up with the stuff in the 1st post in this thread. We knew others flew out here, but we wanted to organize a little just so people would know what we did and where we were. We said "No officers, No dues, No AMA, No Rules. If You Crashed it was your fault for getting out of bed. Then we thought, this is not a club at all. It's the UN-CLUB." That's the truth, and I'm sticking to it. Call James if you don't believe me. But honestly, I don't give a who named it, or started it. I'm just glad, and thankful we have a great place to fly, and great people to fly with.
And about buying stuff from you Guy, it's not that we didn't want to support you, it's just we were not about to pay three times more for your stuff than we could get somewhere else. Sorry, but I work hard for what little money I have.
See you all in the morning. You too guy!
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 AM
kensbusa

I have one of the orange ones from HK Brett if you still need it. I was gonna say something about Guy's prices when he so subtely let us know it was really a dig that almost no one bought anything from him but I decided to leave it alone, but since you brought it up I believe his price for the HXT500 servos was 9.95 and even his closeout was still 7.95. Lets see, I was passing my prices straight on to you guys, well not quite, I was rounding the price up from 4.97 to 5.00 so I wouldn't have to bring a pocketfull of pennies. Must have passed on 300 to 500 servos to you guys in two years or a bit more, which brings up a question, what did you all do with all those servo's? Eat'em for breakfast
Old 10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Thanks Kenny, I'll take it. Not sure what would be the best way to get it. I don't mind taking a road trip, if you will give me direction. I will need it in the next week. So if your going to be in town, give me a call 918-407-4496. Or you could mail it to me, and I will pay you when I see you. let me know if you want to mail it, and I will pm you my address.
Thanks
Old 10-28-2012, 08:44 PM
TAILDRAGGER091
Fly it like you stole it

Well on a lighter note, some of the guys and I went to a fly in over in Mena, AR. Thought I would share some photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 001.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	163798   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 002.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	163799   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 003.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	269.4 KB
ID:	163800   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 004.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	163801   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 005.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	163802  

Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 006.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	163803   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 008.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	163804   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 009.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	163805   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 010.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	163806   Click image for larger version

Name:	plane 011.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	163807  

Quick Reply: Tulsa Unclub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.22991 seconds with 24 queries