Informal Clubs Club Talk

Tulsa Unclub

Old 04-04-2012, 07:57 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Ok, here is my first attempt at publishing a GoPro video, hope it works.
This is the Crash of the Assassin with the Gopro on the plane.
The plane may have stalled, or, I just watched the video after publishing, and I think I may have had a brown out, because the motor continued running all the way to the ground, and I know I cut the throttle.
http://youtu.be/4bBMihQfV8g

If anyone knows how to put the cool little YouTube window in the post, let me know. Until then, I will just have to give a link.

More video's to come.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:20 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Here is a few more video's from last Saturday.

http://youtu.be/OEdcp9VCrvo

http://youtu.be/_bnzZPvmaa0

http://youtu.be/vxukmuOZ3MU
Old 04-04-2012, 08:41 PM
thunker54

Those GoPros do great quality don't they! How did you mount the GoPro on your Radian? Are you using the narrow FOV for the head camera?
Old 04-05-2012, 12:07 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by thunker54 View Post
Those GoPros do great quality don't they! How did you mount the GoPro on your Radian? Are you using the narrow FOV for the head camera?
Yes, I was playing with the camera the night before, and forgot that I had switched it. the Head cams were the first things I shot, then I thought to check it. I switched for the radian.
It took 10 to 15 min to publish to my computer, then another 10 to 15 min to upload to Youtube. That's why I chopped the video's down to just a minute or two.
can you tell me again what you think is the best capture resolution and upload compression, to give a good video, but take as little time as possible?

My movies, will get better. I hope. I put some music on the radian vid, but forgot to turn down the sound of the plane.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:57 AM
thunker54

Originally Posted by surfer dude View Post
Yes, I was playing with the camera the night before, and forgot that I had switched it. the Head cams were the first things I shot, then I thought to check it. I switched for the radian.
It took 10 to 15 min to publish to my computer, then another 10 to 15 min to upload to Youtube. That's why I chopped the video's down to just a minute or two.
can you tell me again what you think is the best capture resolution and upload compression, to give a good video, but take as little time as possible?

My movies, will get better. I hope. I put some music on the radian vid, but forgot to turn down the sound of the plane.
I thought your videos were great! Of course you have an unfair advantage - you're a MUCH better pilot than me so you have better raw footage to work with in the first place! LOL.

Well, I tend to go for maximum quality at the expense of upload time. I shoot at the full 1080-30 (1920x1080) resolution 170 FOV. When I render the video I render it down to 1280x720 (720p) resolution because I had a few folks complain that their systems were having trouble playing back full 1080p over the internet. I use vimeo so render it to a .mp4 format as that's what their site really prefers. The upload time will depend on your internet connection. I'm on a rather slow DSL line. Cable folks will no doubt get much better upload speeds than I do.

For an example, the video I did yesterday of my Great Planes S.E.5a was about 7 minutes long. The final .mp4 file size was about 267 megabytes. It took me 2 hours to upload it. For my connection it takes me about 27 seconds per megabyte to upload.

I think the narrower FOV is better for the head camera. I tried using the old HERO for a head camera and it didn't do as well as my Lumix because of the wide FOV. Of course I can't fly 3D and up close like you can. But I've not tried the HERO2 for a head camera with the narrower FOV. I just stick with the Lumix FX78 for a head camera myself as I have it already setup and am used to it now. I'll have to give the HERO2 a shot as a head camera sometime.
Old 04-15-2012, 01:06 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Here is a little mishap with the Polaris, the GoPro, and a pond. The plane was a little overloaded with the camera. I'm sure glad I had it tethered to the plane.
http://youtu.be/1iqmnsFDKdc
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 AM
thunker54

Brett - aren't you glad you didn't have the skeleton backplate on the GoPro housing!

Maiden flight of a Great Planes Super Stearman biplane today.... 2.25 pounds AUW
https://vimeo.com/40482404
Old 04-22-2012, 01:20 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by thunker54 View Post
Brett - aren't you glad you didn't have the skeleton backplate on the GoPro housing!

Maiden flight of a Great Planes Super Stearman biplane today.... 2.25 pounds AUW
https://vimeo.com/40482404
I always have the waterproof case on it. I'm just glad at the last minute that I decided to tether it to the plane. I would have been swimming.
Check your PMs, I need to pick your brain.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM
thunker54

I always have the waterproof case on it. I'm just glad at the last minute that I decided to tether it to the plane. I would have been swimming.
Check your PMs, I need to pick your brain.
Yeah - I always keep a safety line on mine too. Cheap insurance!
Old 04-24-2012, 03:37 AM
Trammellc2001

Default Tulsa Unclub

My new toy hauler.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:31 AM
thunker54

Brett & I met up this afternoon at River West Festival Park and launched both our Radians in the sky - both GoPro HERO2 cameras running. Brett is by far the better pilot so he caught most of the good video of my plane. I caught a little bit of his plane here and there though. He gave me his GoPro video file so I put his and my video files together and made a little composite video using both. Brett's plane has the black canopy in place. I can't use the canopy on my plane the way I have my camera mounted, so my plane has a white nose in the video. The flights were both almost 30 minutes and there was a bunch of great video I thought. But I left a lot on the "cutting room floor" simply because there was too much to post! And even at that this is much longer than my average video. But I just couldn't help it. Music is by Vangelis "Sirens Whispering"

https://vimeo.com/40905145
Old 04-25-2012, 08:03 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Awesome!!! Thanks Doug!
Now we just need to get the other 6 Radian pilots at the Unclub to join us. Paul and Kendall have GoPro's too. We could put cameras on all of them. I could put mine on facing backwards, you could put your HD key chain cam facing down, we could use our point and shoot cameras as head cams, and we have other cameras in the club to put on the other Radians. Then you could take all the raw video and make one Killer Radian video. Just a thought.
I had fun flying with you Monday. Now it's your turn to come to the Unclub.
I ordered the Vegas HD 11, it was only $20 more than the Vegas 10. I hope it solves my editing problems, if not I will have to get Jamie(MaddSkillz) to look at my laptop. Jamie is a computer guru for a living.

Thanks again for doing the video!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:25 AM
thunker54

Wow, 6-8 Radians with cameras, and some with multiples? That's pretty ambitious there Brett! 8-10 video tracks? Well I think Sony Vegas would do it, but it would be a real labor of love to even sync up all those track on the time line.. I think I'll wait and let you get Vegas 11 and edit it yourself! The most video/camera tracks I've ever done was 4 - three #808's on the plane and a head camera. And that really took a bit to edit - syncing it all up and fading back and forth between the tracks. Seems like about every extra video feed you add the complexity goes up by about a factor of 10 or so... I can hardly imagine 8-10 video tracks!

I don't know much about Vegas 11, but from what little I heard it's pretty much similar to the older versions like my 10. The biggest complaint of both versions is some times when it can't really take advantage of the true 64 bit OS like Win7 I think. From what I know both are pretty much similar - I doubt you'll have any big problems. One little thing on both versions at times is if you try to render to a .wmv format. Sometimes you'll get a "insufficient memory" type error - even though you know you have tons of memory. That's because the actual core code of Sony Vegas is still NOT written for a true 64 bit OS I think. I found if I went to rendering the movie to a .mp4 format all those issues went away.

At least these are my thoughts on it. That and $5 might get you a cup of coffee at StarButts sometimes. :-)

Looking forward to your videos / movies! It *can* be addictive - this video type stuff! heh....
Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 AM
tuppertn
Registered Goober

Awesome!!! Thanks Doug!
Now we just need to get the other 6 Radian pilots at the Unclub to join us. Paul and Kendall have GoPro's too...
Apparently, kendall's weekends are booked until sometime in late October. Moving into a town where we have a bunch of family around has its ups and downs...

kendall
Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

This is just a quick note to let you know that www.KARGLUSA.com is going out of business.

We have greatly appreciated your support over the last 4 years, and we wanted to let you know we have slashed our prices for immediate sale.

Please visit our web site at www.KARGLUSA.com. Please check it out, and take a special look at our new ("Going Out Of Business, at or below cost") pricing.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:09 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Ok, here is my first attempt at making a video on Sony Vegas 11. It's the same flight that Doug edited, but this is just my POV.
Doug, it looks a little grainy to me, it's not the same quality as my other gopro video's using WMM. I may not have my rendering settings set up right.
Any way, here you go.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO04vEQkR4U[/media]
Old 05-04-2012, 06:51 AM
thunker54

Ok, here is my first attempt at making a video on Sony Vegas 11. It's the same flight that Doug edited, but this is just my POV.
Doug, it looks a little grainy to me, it's not the same quality as my other gopro video's using WMM. I may not have my rendering settings set up right.
Any way, here you go.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO04vEQkR4U[/media]
Looks pretty good to me Brett. Fun to see a different view of the same flight/videos! Nice music - the lady has a great voice!

The "grainy" part looks an awful lot to me like it was rendered to a slightly off frame rate. GoPro claims to shoot 30 frames/sec, but it actually shoots the more standard 29.97 FPS. If you render one to the other you will get degraded quality. Check out the Bill Myers's DVD at chapter "RENDERING". That explains it well.

The way I do it is to go to "Project" in the upper left menu then click "Properties" and then click the little disc-to-disc type icon on the far right beside on the top menu bar and click "Match Media File".. Click that and it will match your settings to the raw video. Frame rate for the GoPro should be 29.97. I use a video bit rate of 5,000,000 bits/second. I render to 1280x720. The raw GoPro video is 1920x1080, but that strains some systems on playback. 1280x720 gives really good quality and is better handled by the average computer - I've been told. Under the rendering "Save File As" - I select "Sony AVC (.mp4, .m2ts, .avc)"

Those settings generate a .mp4 file for me. And I use vimeo rather than youtube because vimeo has a much better video playback quality IMHO, and doesn't do a bunch of copyright checking / advertising and such. But I do upload videos (.mp4) to youtube now and then and it seems to work fine.

If I were you, I'd check my frame rate - to make sure it was 29.97 fps and not 30 fps.

P.S. - the #808 keychain cameras shoot a TRUE 30 FPS - so if I have to combine videos with the GoPro or my Lumix (which both shoot 29.97 fps) I have to run my #808 video files through a converter to change them from 30 fps to 29.97. Handbrake does this great. And is totally free.

http://handbrake.fr/
Old 05-05-2012, 01:58 AM
tuppertn
Registered Goober

I going to sell most of my stuff and just stick with my gliders and a couple of parkflyers. I'm testing the waters to see if there is any interest in my 3DHS and FPV stuff. I have 5 3DHS planes: 47" Edge 540 (green), 47" Extra 300SHP (R/W/B), 57" Extra 330SC (R/W/B), 68" Velox (yellow/red) and the 89" AJ Slick (R/W/B). The little Edge needs gear but the rest are receiver ready. I can list the gear in each and asking price if there is any interest.

For FPV stuff I have a fully equipped Skywalker--Pixim Seawolf 620tvl cam on pan/tilt, 1000mW 2.4GHz Lawmate vtx, Eagletree elogger v3, ET OSD Pro, ET GPS, Scherrer 2W long-range RC system, Scorpion 3020-14, CC ICE50. Ground station gear includes Vizio 19" LCD TV, Headplay goggles, ET Eagle Eyes diversity controller/antenna tracker, 2x Lawmate vrx's with omnis, 14dbi patch. I also have LHCP antennas for both the vtx and antenna tracker (10dbic).

I have a much simpler 800mW, 900MHz Easystar setup with Skylark Tiny OSD/GPS.

I also have a brand new Skylark AAT suite with Trace OSD that's never been set up or flown.

Everything mentioned above cost me about $10,000 but I'm not using it anymore. Used price will be about half what I paid for it. I can bring stuff to the field to show (if I ever get a free weekend) or folks can come by the house.

kendall
Old 05-06-2012, 03:52 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Kendall, sorry to hear about your limited time to fly, we need your Assassin in the air. If there is a better time/day for you to fly, just let us know. Maybe we can get a few guy together to fly, so you don't have to fly alone.
Your post about selling stuff, brings up an idea I've had for a while. The Unclub needs to host a Swap Meet.
Here are my thoughts: No cost, Open flying, Bring your own tables/chairs/etc..., Open flying at your own risk. Just like any other Saturday, except we put the word out, and put up some flyers at the LHS, and Clubs, so other pilots will know to come swap and sell, and fly.
What do you guys think? I'm thinking Sat. June 9th, or 16. Any conflicts with these dates?
Old 05-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

I'll buy the Assassin if SOMEONE buys something from my GOING OUT OF BUSINESS SALE.

I honestly don't understand why I can't sell anything, even when I'm selling at below my cost! I guess I'm just bad at retail...

Sheesh guys -- a little help here? Please?

I will tell you what -- I will offer FREE DELIVERY to anyone who buys $50 or more, and lives in the Tulsa metro area.

thanks for your support.
Guy
Old 05-11-2012, 10:48 PM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Guy, Your prices look good, I just cant afford anything right now, plus I have more than I can fly, or build now.
How about contacting Wes, and donating everything to the Dust Bowl. You could check with your accountant, but I think because the MS is a non profit, it's 100% deductible. You could recoup 100% of your original cost. Win Win Win!
Just a thought.
You should buy an Assassin anyway, everyone should have an indestructible plane.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:14 AM
tuppertn
Registered Goober

...You should buy an Assassin anyway, everyone should have an indestructible plane.
We pretty much destroyed mine on its first time out. Bent the motor mount beyond repair, ripped out the mounting screws, shattered the Formica base plate, stripped one servo. Anything that wasn't made of EPP is toast.

kendall
Old 05-12-2012, 04:56 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tuppertn View Post
We pretty much destroyed mine on its first time out. Bent the motor mount beyond repair, ripped out the mounting screws, shattered the Formica base plate, stripped one servo. Anything that wasn't made of EPP is toast.

kendall
Wow! That must have been a really hard hit, or maybe I've just been really lucky. I've had at least 10 mid-air hits, hit the goal post a few times trying to limbo, and twice dropped it from over 200 feet with no control. Damage, only 3 broken props, and one broken servo horn.
Toughest plane I've ever owned.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:03 AM
surfer dude
Super Contributor

Kite Festival tomorrow. If your gonna fly, fly before 9am, or use one of the side fields.
I'm gonna fly RC, and Kites.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 AM
ELman

New to the forum and pretty new to the hobby. I hang around at the unclub listening and learning and am very greatfull to find such a laid back, helpfull group of people. I was a little intemidated visiting some of the clubs in town but this group makes me much more comfortable for my learning purposes.

I tried to maiden the second Rcpowers F22 I have built (the first had elevons only) today but found rather quickly I needed more elevator throw. Surfer Dude, who told me about this site, showed me what I can do to fix the issue and hopefully next weekend it will be flying.

Quick Reply: Tulsa Unclub

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.25877 seconds with 13 queries