Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

Choosing the right ESC?

Old 06-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Forge

Default Choosing the right ESC?

Is there a simple formula for selecting the correct ESC? I am modifying my PZ T-28 to add flaps. I will be adding 2 HS-55 servos to work the flap function and Iím unsure if the stock E-flite 25amp ESC will hold up to the extra load. The flaps will only be deployed on landing to aid in making a good approach on my short runway, so the motor will be drawing a light load.

Iíve read some posts off this, and other sites, that say I should change the ESC, but Iíve read another where the stock ESC was used to drive the additional servos. Any insight on how to determine the correct ESC would be greatly appreciated.

I have been reading a lot of info off this site including the sticky about, ďselecting power systemsĒ at the top of the forum, along with other information, but I am new to this sport and need to learn a lot more about electrical systems to fully understand how select the correct components. But, boy have I been having fun!

Thanks!

Forge
Old 06-05-2008, 04:57 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

You don't have to change your ESC as your not changing your motor. What you do need to do is upgrade your BEC (Battery Eliminator circuit). The BEC is what supplies power to the receiver and servos. The stock E-Flite ESC has a built in BEC that is limited in power (the only Achilles heal of the T-28) you can override the stock ESC with this:
http://www.dimensionengineering.com/ParkBEC.htm

It connects in-line with your ESC and links into your battery.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:54 AM
HET overkill

There are things called BEC's they plug into your battery and then plug into your reciever. they supply 6v right from your battery just to your servo's so if you drop voltage and your motor kicks out you still have servo's. the only mod you have to make is to pull the red wire out of the connector from your speed control so you dont over power your reciever. BEC's are small and weigh next to nothing so flight characteristics will not change.
Old 06-06-2008, 12:51 PM
jb48

With a ParkBec or a SportBec, you don`t even have to disable the integrated BEC in your ESC: Just solder the red and black wires of one these external BECs to the red and black wires of your ESC. That`s it.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:25 PM
Forge

Guys,

Thanks for the input. I will be working on my mod over the weekend, hopefully my LHS has one in stock.

I'm learning more each day, although I still feel like in need to get my degree in electrical engineering to extract the most from this hobby.

It's good to keep expanding my knowledge, and I'm having a blast doing it.

Thanks again.

Forge