Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

LiPo and dud cells .... Note first sentence of post !

Old 07-12-2020, 09:55 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default LiPo and dud cells .... Note first sentence of post !

PLEASE DO NOT DO ANY OF THIS IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN OF SOLDERING OR CUTTING SKILLS - LIPO CELLS CAN BE EXTREMELY DANGEROUS.

OK ... what am I on about ? I think we can all say we have LiPo packs with one or cells that are either bad or dud. But rest of the cells are good. It seems as shame to bin a pack where 2 or more cells are still good in a pack ... just for one that goes to meet its maker.

I have ventured on to the path of splitting cells and using the single cells where usually I would use 3 AAA's etc.

I know people who actually extract bad cell and insert a good one ... I'm not quite up to that stage yet !!

What is the main concern in this : The cell pouches are welded contact so normal soldering cannot work. Therefore the factory solder points have to be kept and used. With some packs - they have a board that does this .... so the board needs to be cut to separate the cells while still each section you cut remaining connected to its respective welded terminals.

Are there any others out there doing similar ? I'm interested in ways others do it ...

Old 07-12-2020, 02:22 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Yes indeed and for very similar reasons.
These 2 cell batteries (1500 and 1800 mAh) have been salvaged from original 3 cell ones. They are wrapped in duct tape..
Click image for larger version

Name:	2S1500LiPo.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	188123Click image for larger version

Name:	2s1800LiPo.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	188124
Even the balance plugs have been cut down to suit.
I use them for bench testing in conjunction with a 'spare' ESC and servo tester. They are kept charged so I have no excuse not to test motors and servos are every stage of construction.