Tom Martin Radio Control laser cut Comet 54" Taylorcraft RC build - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Tom Martin Radio Control laser cut Comet 54" Taylorcraft RC build

Old 02-10-2020, 04:49 AM
ShawnPalmer
Old and slow user

Default Tom Martin Radio Control laser cut Comet 54" Taylorcraft RC build

New to this site, but doing e-conversions since the 80s (when it was not nearly as easy and fun as it is now.)

I'd been out of building and flying over 10 years when I started this build. I've always had a thing for the Comet 54" Aeronca/Taylorcraft kits since my youth in the 80s. Built many Aeroncas, but found Tom Martin Radio Control had a Taylor in stock, and he was (almost) local to me. Had to have one as the inspiration to get back on the sticks!

The kit was a total nostalgia build, brought back tons of memories. About halfway through I remembered I probably like building even more than flying. Something about an airplane structure is really aesthetic, so why hide it under opaque covering?

Many years ago I paid tribute to what I thought was the most beautiful structure I'd ever built, a Steven's Aeromodel Cap 40-e, by painting the balsa structure and covering with clear covering material. It was stunning. I wish I still had the plane, or even a picture of it today.

So I decided to do something similar with the Taylorcraft. Show off the structure and design, but still be flight worthy. In the research for the power system, I reached out to a fellow e-buddy, and he recommended doculam covering, which is clear, super light, super tough, and low shrink that won't distort or crush light balsa structures. Done.

The goals of the build were to keep it as much the same as the original free flight planes are as possible, thus keeping the weight down, and powering it to be a slow majestic flyer just as the originals were. Modern Hitec HS-40 servos, a 2212 1000kv motor, and 1000mah or less 2 cell lipo packs fit the bill perfectly. Easy to put together a gentle floater for calm wind outdoors or carving circles indoors.
Old 02-10-2020, 05:04 AM
ShawnPalmer
Old and slow user

Default Sorry for the time warp

I can't figure how to insert pictures off my phone, it's asking for www links.
I was able to maiden the plane yesterday after a long bout of bad timing and bad weather, and below is the result. The second flight will be MUCH better with more downthrust and less flight anxiety! I was okay until just after takeoff, but immediately started shaking like crazy. :-)

I'll post build pics if I can figure out how, especially where I deviated from the original plans (very few areas.)