Flight Simulators Discuss computer flight simulators here

FMS Eclipse 7 set-up

Old 02-09-2009, 06:01 AM
Chipster

Default FMS Eclipse 7 set-up

I am having a little difficulty setting up my new (Eclipse 7) tx with FMS. It seems logical that the elevator should be on the right hand control forward to bring nose up and back to bring nose down. Mine is doing just the opposite. The rudder and ailerons seem to be OK, but the throttle is backwards (to my way of thinking) forward is less and back is more engine rpms is that the way it is supposed to be? How do I go about correcting what is wrong? Thanks!
Old 02-09-2009, 06:05 AM
Chipster

Default OOPS!

My elevator controls are doing what I described, I think they should be back for nose up and forward for nose down and they are doing just the opposite. Throttle is on left hand control and back is full throttle, forward is less. Although on actual aircraft the throttle is pulled out for more rpms, so maybe that is the correct way (just not the way I expected.) I just don't want to be learning the wrong way on these controls, probably would not work too well.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:03 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

There are several different ways of assigning the transmitter controls for RC models. What you are describing is Mode 2 which is the most common in the US and some parts of the UK etc. AIleron should be on the RH stick with rudder on the LH stick (obviously the L-R movement with the sense you'd expect, stick left, plane turns/banks left).

Elevator should be back (or down) for nose up.
Throttle should be forward (or up) for more power.

If they're working in the opposite sense just click the INV (invert) boxes against those controls in the FMS mapping/calibration screen.

Steve
Old 02-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Chipster

Default Thanks! And a couple more questions

Steve, Thanks for your help. Just to make sure that I have the proper controls assigned: Ch 1 = rudder (right hand control side to side),
Ch 2 = elevator (right hand control fwd back)
Ch 3 = throttle (left hand control fwd back)
Ch 4 = aileron (left hand control side to side)

So each channel has the ability to move the associated servo both directions. One other thing, does the servo automatically go to neutral when the lever is centered (except the throttle lever of course?) Also, do different (computer generated) aircraft handle differently? I have a super cub that I downloaded, would that be a good starter aircraft? If not do you have another suggestion. The cub seems to make things happen a little too fast before you get to the *reflex control* stage.

It appears that, if the above is correct, I am on my way to learning to keep the nose of the plane out of the ground.

Thanks, Chip
Old 02-09-2009, 04:05 PM
Chipster

Default FMS trim

Steve (or whoever is out there), One other question came to mind when I went back to the sim: How should the plane fly if properly trimmed out and controls centered? Thanks, Chip
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM
slipstick
Super Contributor

Which part of "Aileron should be on the RH stick with rudder on the LH stick" was particularly unclear ? On a plane with ailerons the Aileron is Ch1, Rudder Ch4. If the plane doesn't have ailerons then you can put the rudder on Ch1 because it is then the control you use to turn the plane.

Not sure I understand "How should the plane fly ?"...it should fly more or less straight, not turning, climbing when you add throttle etc. Getting it to do that is what "properly trimmed" means. Though it's not easy to trim some of the models in FMS so that they don't turn at all.

Steve