Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

FMS vs. Real Life

Old 09-18-2008, 05:08 PM
DA6righthand
New Pilot

Default FMS vs. Real Life

Iíve been playing FMS a lot lately using the Parkzone P-51. I notice it wants to roll over on its own. Does the real plane act the same way? When flying the Parkzone FW-190 it doesnít seem to be difficult to fly like the P-51 is or as touchy.

I read that low winged aileron planes are difficult to fly. Why? Is it because they want to roll on their own?
Old 09-18-2008, 05:46 PM
Leo L

Hi DA6righthand,

Good questions. Take a baseball bat, hold it at one end and let it hang below your hand pointing toward the floor. See how steady you can hold it. This represents a high wing plane, where the planes weight (center of gravity) is below the support (wing). Now flip your hand over and hold the bat pointing toward the ceiling. Try to keep it steady. Does the bat try to fall over? This is a low wing plane. Try flying a high wing plane inverted. Its not easy because the plane has now become a low wing plane. Now take a low wing plane and try flying it inverted. Much easier because the low wing plane has now become a high wing plane. There are many other considerations that affect the way a plane flies and things are not a simple as I made them sound, but this is at least an overview for you. A good example is the T-28 Trojan from PZ. Its a low-wing plane but it flies as steady as many mid-wing and even high-wing planes.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
eflight-ray

Don't forget to set the wind as well on FMS, it's rare to actually get a calm day these days.

Although sims may help people get the basic idea, there is no substitute for flying a real model in real conditions.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 PM
DA6righthand
New Pilot

thanks for the help Leo!!

is there a way for me to take my PZ P-51 and make the center of gravity lower than what it is?

eflight, i'm just getting plane orientation down in FMS. i was just curious as to how accurate FMS is for the P-51. i'll start flying with wind! thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 01:21 AM
Angler-Hi
Super Contributor

Check your trims on the FMS radio and make sure they're centered. It's easy to accidently hit one of them. The PZ P-51 shouldn't want to roll on it's on.

Granted high wing planes are more stable in the air, but low wing planes aren't as hard to fly as that baseball bat metaphor (in my opinion). He does however make a good point. High wing planes DO have a lower CG than low wing planes. It also depends on the plane. Most warbirds fly pretty scale, which can be a handful for a beginner.

Like it was suggested, try adding a little wind in the sim. This will help alot. I also agree that the sim can only do so much as teaching you. There are so many factors that don't come into play with some of these sims. Try getting a sudden crosswind out of nowhere, especially when trying to land. Keep using the sim, but don't be afraid to get out there and fly. Stick to minimal wind speeds (0-5mph), then start advancing with higher winds. In my opinion, there is NO substitute for flying in real life...that will be the REAL teacher. Good luck friend.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:53 PM
DA6righthand
New Pilot

thanks for the input! i'll remember that.