Hi-Performance and Sailplanes RC hotliners, electric pylon racers, F5B, F5D, sailplanes and gliders

Thermals in FMS

Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Default Thermals in FMS

Quick question, when you add thermals in the FMS Sim, is it a general thermal that is spread over the entire flying field, or is it/are they isolated phenomena that you have to find?
Old 06-09-2008, 01:23 AM
FlyWheel

Nobody knows?
Old 06-10-2008, 09:35 PM
DelawareDon

Isolated....but not at all difficult to find.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:42 AM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by DelawareDon View Post
Isolated....but not at all difficult to find.
Thanks. Since gracefully soaring birds are scarce in the FMS universe, I suppose I just wander around until the plane starts rising? Or do I just fly above those areas likely to cause them? I.E. dark patches of ground.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:48 AM
DelawareDon

I've discovered that they are most frequently found where air is likely to move up the side of mountains and create an updraft. But just enjoy lazily floating around the sky, and I'm sure that you will find that you're gaining altitude. In fact, I've frequently "skyed out"(gone out of sight above the clouds), and have had to put the plane into a controlled spin (move the right toggle to about the 4:30 position and hold it there) to get it back into view. Sometimes it's pretty difficult to get it back down to an altitude where you can land.
Old 06-11-2008, 03:11 AM
FlyWheel

Originally Posted by DelawareDon View Post
I've discovered that they are most frequently found where air is likely to move up the side of mountains and create an updraft. But just enjoy lazily floating around the sky, and I'm sure that you will find that you're gaining altitude. In fact, I've frequently "skyed out"(gone out of sight above the clouds), and have had to put the plane into a controlled spin (move the right toggle to about the 4:30 position and hold it there) to get it back into view. Sometimes it's pretty difficult to get it back down to an altitude where you can land.
That answers another question I had; would adding wind in a mountainous landscape create updrafts for sloping.

Thank, guys.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:42 PM
MaxAdventure
AMA 198798

Default Other sims?

is FMS the only sim with thermals? Are there attributes that can be altered to create them in any other software? I need to get an interface and install FMS, i'm using RF 3.5 right now. I can only find slope lift, but there's no boundry layer for DSing, which is irritating. Or I just plane don't understand how to set up the environment.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:43 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Any suggestions on backgrounds with thermals or backgrounds that allow slope soaring?

Thx,

Clint