iCharger storage Voltage - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

iCharger storage Voltage

Old 11-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Merlotmaker

Default iCharger storage Voltage

I need to know how to set the LIPO storage V very accurately.

Currently LIPO storage cycle is set to 3.85V per cell but I would prefer this V to be 3.80V.

I cannot find a parameter or setting on the iCharger 3010B to set this Voltage.

Can you please assist?
Thnaks
Old 11-27-2016, 05:53 PM
birdDog
Charging....

5/100ths of a volt is not much to concern yourself with.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:56 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Seems that most chargers are set to 3.85

Many cannot be changed from that as well.

For user settable discharge and good rates - the 3in1 MyRCMart discharger at about $14 is a great bit of kit. Then you have charger left to do its primary job, while the 3in1 at 150W discharge gets your pack to storage balanced and automatically.

Nigel
Old 11-28-2016, 01:33 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Looking at the manual I'm not sure you can adjust it. I used to own a 3010b but never tried adjusting the storage voltage.

I'm wondering why you would want to. Anything in the 3.7-3.9V range is fine, it's not an exact science.

I've now got the 4010 Duo and that does have the option to adjust storage target voltage but I've not had reason to do so.
Old 11-28-2016, 04:41 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I have the Icharger 208B and never use it for discharging. Bought the HobbyMart 3 and 1 on Nigel's suggestion and have not looked back.

When I'm at the field, I generally know about what to expect the v/cell to be on most of my planes based on how I've set the timer. I do check voltage after a flight. and if it's in the general happy range, I'm good. Sometimes, if I need go lower, I'll just run the motor a little longer.

For lipos that I've pre-charged to the max 4.2V/cell but did not use for one reason or another, that's when I use the HobbyMart discharger.

Hawk
Old 11-29-2016, 01:17 AM
birdDog
Charging....

For discharge I run the batteries down in on a larger 6S system. With a wattmeter and balance checker I can burn them down pretty quick. I prefer to discharge lower and then use the storage charge setting to bring them up to 3.85vpc.

I can't see generating all that heat discharging in a $200 charger as being a good thing.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:57 PM
dereckbc
Super Contributor

You can change it to anything you want. Question is why?

Storage voltage is not critical as long as it is not fully charged or discharged. Anywhere greater than 20% or less than 80% is fine. 3.85 volts is the upper limit and chosen by manufactures because it yields the longest storage time of 1 year.

ichargers are accurate, but using voltage to determine State if Charge cannot be done with any accuracy. Voltage can only be used on a well rested battery. Even then voltage is only a Ball Park figure +/-20%. So worrying about the exact voltage you store them is futile. Only two voltages you need to be worried about is 3.0 and 4.2 volts.