Do you all like flying around other people or by yourself? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Do you all like flying around other people or by yourself?

Old 03-15-2016, 08:17 AM
FoxProGT

Default Do you all like flying around other people or by yourself?

Sup peeps.

The weather is clearing up and the parks i fly at had a few people around this weekend. Felt kinda odd at first but got over it. (didn't fly over people playing on the fields)

Do you all prefer flying when no one is around or don't mind having people around?
Old 03-15-2016, 10:05 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Like flying with other pilots but get nervous at parks where non pilot people, dogs or kids are around.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:35 PM
birdDog
Charging....

The club field is always more fun with more people. Parks can be problematic with the little ones. So often they want to help or touch, not understanding how fragile a UMX plane is. I worry about crushing little hands trying to "help" after a landing. I had a couple experiences where 5-6 kids were chasing the UMX Stearman, a couple on bicycles. I had to fake them out and land on the opposite end of the field to ensure myself getting to the plane before the crushing, sticky little hands could.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:43 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

With other people.

Flying is a social event... Most of us spend more time talking with each other than flying.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:35 PM
pd1
Still Learning

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
With other people.

Flying is a social event... Most of us spend more time talking with each other than flying.

Exactly.

I don't do parks anymore. Too many soccer moms planting themselves and the munchkins directly in the middle of the field.
I could see the 6 o'clock news if a model hit one of them.
Old 03-15-2016, 02:52 PM
Bald Paul

Flying at the local park, I prefer being alone. Luckily, I can fly in the middle of the day, during the week while school is in session so there's generally no problem. If I see people showing up and wandering out onto the soccer field, I will immediately land.

Club field it's nice to have other pilots there, although I don't feel comfortable when there are a number of ships in the air, especially when there's a big speed difference between them. If someone is flying 3D, I stay on the ground. You can never tell where the heck they are going to be at any time.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:57 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by FoxProGT View Post
Sup peeps.

The weather is clearing up and the parks i fly at had a few people around this weekend. Felt kinda odd at first but got over it. (didn't fly over people playing on the fields)

Do you all prefer flying when no one is around or don't mind having people around?
It really depends.........

If I'm dialing in a new craft or set-up, I prefer to fly alone early in the morning at open space locations where there are no people or obstructions. It also depends on the craft as to the location I choose.

If I'm looking to socialize, I'll go to one of the clubs I frequent, depending on which of my buddies is there or tagging along to help out.

There is a group of us who also get together at a local school, three or four times a month, that has soccer fields. During soccer season it can be problematic, but most of the time we show up a couple of hours before the teams arrive and get in and out without any issues. We've established a relationship with them and one of us always gets a copy of their schedule.

We are fortunate to have good weather most of the time and quite a few remote locations near us that we can throw almost anything in the air without worry...........but population and laws are closing in on us slowly, and I haven't had much time lately (due to other interests), so I've pretty much packed it up for RC flying for now......still go out on occasion with a buddy and help out. Keeps me current and in tune........
Old 03-15-2016, 07:40 PM
road king 97
old hat

Back in my AMA pattern flying days i can still remember me taking off a paved runway with judges sitting in lawn chairs and keeping score on my flight and landing ,lmao At 17 my knees were knocking so hard you could hear them from the parking lot even with the 60 size motors on tuned pipes running in the pits. When i go to the field to fly now most know me and i know them and same at large water funflys so it does not bother me if 40 or 50 others are flying anymore but it makes me try to help the younger guys to try relax and enjoy themselves flying while others are watching them . joe
Old 03-15-2016, 07:51 PM
birdDog
Charging....

lol I hear hear ya. Competitions have a way of getting inside your head when it's your turn. Last Saturday at the club I spent over 5 hours there with only 36 minutes of battery life.

Last edited by birdDog; 03-15-2016 at 08:13 PM.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:57 PM
road king 97
old hat

I think it made me a better rc pilot but it was nerve racking at times. lol joe
Old 03-15-2016, 08:12 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

For me, it's much more fun with other people.

For example, last Sunday we had 16 people show up for hotdogs, brats, chips and snacks at our club house.

And, it was raining all day long!

As for visitors to our club field, we've got a separated fenced off area in the pits with bleachers for the visitors to sit on.

Last edited by kyleservicetech; 03-16-2016 at 01:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 08:49 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

I like flying when others are around in case of a mishap or in case I need to go hunting for my plane after it crashes in the woods.

Don't like flying when there's a bunch of Heli Guys observing.
Old 03-15-2016, 09:01 PM
road king 97
old hat

We had a heli guy hovering his bird to close to him one day and a wind came up and it caught him behind his leg and cut him down to the bone. A couple ladies there came running while we tried to keep him calm but he looked at the blood and fainted . The girls had Tampons to stop the bleeding so lucky for him he was not flying alone that day. joe
Old 03-15-2016, 09:52 PM
birdDog
Charging....

We rarely get a heli by us. A few multis that need to be instructed no flying in the pits but not helis. When one does show up, I land asap and stand on the other side of a table, just in case. I whacked a hunk out of my neighbors cedar fence with a Trex 450 and have been flying exclusively fixed wing since that moment. There is a more than one reason they put a housing on a lawn mower.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:51 PM
FoxProGT

Ok so its not just me that's nervous around other people. I worry about people being upset about a plane flying around and calling the cops, and the KIDS! I had about 4 kids running towards my plane as it landed. I had to quickly grab it and put it away. I would imagine Kids at a club flying field would be better about not touching peoples planes but idk.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

There's just more people to herd the kids away from the models... and often a fence separating the kids from the airplanes.

kids at the club field still tend to want to use your 1/4 scale B-25 as a ride-on toy.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:12 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

i like the company of fellow flyers. i learn a great deal observing others fly and what they are flying. this can save a fortune by not experimenting on junk others have already tried. plus we fly the multies in groups of four and fpv around together.

i haven't been on the plane side of the club field for weeks since enjoying quads and fpv. we have a really great group at the club that meets most weekends.

i can't stand driving to local school sports fields looking for a place to toss a quick flight up in the air.....always someone walking the areas and very distracting when someone comes up along side from behind and startles me not knowing they were there.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:24 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Club field for me any day. I'll fly in my backyard occasionally but I get really bored.
Old 03-16-2016, 12:22 AM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
We rarely get a heli by us. A few multis that need to be instructed no flying in the pits but not helis. When one does show up, I land asap and stand on the other side of a table, just in case. I whacked a hunk out of my neighbors cedar fence with a Trex 450 and have been flying exclusively fixed wing since that moment. There is a more than one reason they put a housing on a lawn mower.
We have a few heli 3 D flyers who know what they are doing and fly for companys selling them .It amazes me when they plug in their giant lipo packs with all the sparks and noises it makes . I will stick to fixed wing myself but i did have a 40 size heli baby in the 80s i banged into every fence and car we owned at 32 dollars for a set of new wood blades . It did not take long for my wfe to put her tiny foot down .lol The Cost of the heli blades and harley parts on her kitchen table was a little more than she could handle. lol
Old 03-16-2016, 12:36 AM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

I like either way. For me, the ideal day is at the club field. It starts with everyone there and a grilled dinner... Lots of different things flying and discussion about RC and life. I then stay at the field and get the last flights in of the day alone. Sun almost down and absolutely calm. Floating around just with natural sounds around me. (The club field is in a State park) I can't wait for some more day's like that.

Steve
Old 03-16-2016, 01:17 AM
ooOoo
Ninja

I'd like it if my wife would come along more often, but she rarely does, so it just me out there by myself flying. I enjoy flying more than socializing. I've thought about joining a club, but I'm kind of scared and shy.
Old 03-16-2016, 01:53 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
We rarely get a heli by us. A few multis that need to be instructed no flying in the pits but not helis. .
Our club bylaws do not allow general flying of ANY rotor craft, except in special occasions, such as using a Quad with FPV to find a downed model in the 8 foot high corn field.

One of the reasons is because of a bad accident as a result of a radio failure with one a few years ago.
Old 03-16-2016, 04:25 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

I preffer to fly with others but my location as it is does not allow for that anymore so now I fly alone on my farm.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:25 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I can give example of difference for me.

I will use about 500ml gliw fuel, maybe 700ml gasoline, maybe 6 or 7 lipos in a flying day with the club.
On my own most likely is maybe 300ml of a fuel and maybe 2 or 3 lipos.

I just get bored on my own. I test the model maybe fly another - then go home. But with the club - its completely different. I often run out of a specific size of lipo on club days.

Nigel
Old 03-16-2016, 01:31 PM
formontoya

I fly at 2 places...a retention pond area close to the house (alone, maybe 1 other buddy) or a specific club. Actually I prefer the retention pond area as I get nervous around others. For some reason I'm more worried about crashing someone else's plane so even at the club I don't go up to the runway if more than a couple of people are flying. Although I am starting to get less nervous each time I go out. The retention pond area is only good for belly landers, not my 48" planes with gear.

Quick Reply: Do you all like flying around other people or by yourself?

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15273 seconds with 12 queries