a radio to not get - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

a radio to not get

Old 08-03-2011, 03:25 PM
kevinm

Default a radio to not get

well, while juggling systems i thought id put the hitec focus III radio in the old cox sportavia (throttle, rudder, ele, perfect for the sportavia right?) i had upgraded with a fast brushless - bad idea -this radio has the throttle hidden on the back for some goofy reason , {{out of sight out of mind}}, it spun in hard at full throttle seconds after hand launching - angry at myself for knowing better than to try to use the weird radio , but doing it anyway-
my thumbs are kinda sorta trained - i wont put this radio on another plane--
dont know if this is the place for this post im just upset at my tomfoolery

Last edited by kevinm; 08-03-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: upset
Old 08-03-2011, 05:02 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

There's been a change in the programming of The Matrix...
Old 08-04-2011, 12:00 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

it really is the dumbest design of a TX to put a slide throttle on the back of the tx.....what were they thinking.i also have one in a storage closet,but the trash can would be better.bought it years ago when i first got into building kits.

i only used it a couple of times and accidentally throttled up enough times to stop using it......,on the brighter side ,I've been using the hitec optic 6 with the spectrum module and an assan 2.4 module flawlessly on all my birds.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:07 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Wink

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
it really is the dumbest design of a TX to put a slide throttle on the back of the tx.....what were they thinking.i also have one in a storage closet,but the trash can would be better.bought it years ago when i first got into building kits.

i only used it a couple of times and accidentally throttled up enough times to stop using it......,on the brighter side ,I've been using the hitec optic 6 with the spectrum module and an assan 2.4 module flawlessly on all my birds.
Hi Stu
I have one laying around it came with a RTF Firebird Freedom
Quite an awful design to say the least
I used it once and then added it to my collection of vintage TX's
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 08-04-2011, 12:42 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
well, while juggling systems i thought id put the hitec focus III radio in the old cox sportavia (throttle, rudder, ele, perfect for the sportavia right?) i had upgraded with a fast brushless - bad idea -this radio has the throttle hidden on the back for some goofy reason , {{out of sight out of mind}}, it spun in hard at full throttle seconds after hand launching - angry at myself for knowing better than to try to use the weird radio , but doing it anyway-
LOL
I've got one of those transmitters! Tried to make it work with a receiver last fall, it was dead. It was just for show and tell for some 2nd-8th graders.

Just looked at it today, its AM, the receiver was FM

Oh well, it will never control another model, everything now is 2.4 Ghz Spektrum systems.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:48 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

I can see where that could be a problem. OTOH mine works fine on a slope delta > no throttle.
Old 08-04-2011, 01:12 AM
dkrhardy

IMHO any kind of slide control is not good. REALLY not good! Did I tell you that I think slide controls are not good?
Old 08-04-2011, 02:33 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by dkrhardy View Post
IMHO any kind of slide control is not good. REALLY not good! Did I tell you that I think slide controls are not good?
Just a note, you have "Slide Controls" where crap can get inside the slide control and cause problems.

And you have "Slide Controls" like that used on this Hitec transmitter where the slide control is actually connected to a standard sealed potentiometer inside the transmitter.

As you indicated, still don't like it.
Old 08-04-2011, 03:36 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Wink

Hi
The only slider throttles imho that work well are on some of the UM indoor flyers
In that respect they work well
Heres a few of mine that use that method
Do enjoy
Take care
Yours Hank

Last edited by kenchiroalpha; 08-15-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 AM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

I have one of those that I got with my RTF Easystar years ago, I don't understand what's to gripe about, unless you can't learn to use it very quickly. I still use that radio on this plane, even with the servos that were in the EZ* too.
http://www.srbatteries.com/cutie.htm
Old 08-04-2011, 05:44 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by lucas2696 View Post
I have one of those that I got with my RTF Easystar years ago, I don't understand what's to gripe about, unless you can't learn to use it very quickly. I still use that radio on this plane, even with the servos that were in the EZ* too.
http://www.srbatteries.com/cutie.htm
Problem I had was horrible radio interference problems with an Astroflight geared 05 brush type motor on a sailplane model. Never really got rid of the interference until going to 72 Mhz FM radios.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:46 AM
lucas2696
NO MORE GLUE??!!!

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Problem I had was horrible radio interference problems with an Astroflight geared 05 brush type motor on a sailplane model. Never really got rid of the interference until going to 72 Mhz FM radios.

Even when I had a geared 400 brushed motor on the Cutie, never had any problems, but hey, everyone is different.
Old 08-04-2011, 06:17 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by lucas2696 View Post
Even when I had a geared 400 brushed motor on the Cutie, never had any problems, but hey, everyone is different.
Problem is in a sailplane, their is not much room to keep the receiver away from the motor, battery and ESC. The first attempts with this system, the range was only 20% of normal, completely unsafe to fly.

And, the higher powered electric brush type motors really cause problems. Had an Astro 90 brush motor on 38 Nicad cells that had a range of about 15 feet. With the Futaba FM transmitter antenna fully extended. Took a lot electronic fixing to make that thing work.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:31 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Cool

Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I have had two Hitec Focus Radios. The first was an AM radio that came in my Spirit Select 2 Meter glider. The second I got with a used parkflyer. Believe I still have one of them.

They worked flawlessly. I never had a problem with either one.

Third channel in the back was never a problem. Actually very easy to use.

On my electrics, that was the throttle
On my gliders, that was the spoilers.

The Focus was replaced by the Hitec Neon. That also has he throttle on the back. That one has worked fine too.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:27 PM
dkrhardy

OK, some sliders may be the Rolls Royce of sliders, BUT I don't like the way they FEEL and WORK in my hands. Just seems strange.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:10 PM
kevinm

i just barely got my thumbs trained into an orientation and i shouldnt have messed with success- similarly, i wont need a tx with throttle on the right stick anytime soon lol- dont understand why they hid the throttle , this is to be sure a very good quality radio for a slope flyer , it seems very well built -even the slider feels nice and greasy
Old 08-07-2011, 04:35 PM
road king 97
old hat

I have one also and it took a bit to get use to but i was able to fly wih it . It was not my first choice to grab it when going out the door tho .lol joe