unsheduled roll - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

unsheduled roll

Old 04-30-2011, 04:51 PM
kevinm

Default unsheduled roll

i got this little antique trainer at a swap meet for like $2, and had flown it with my 72 mhz with landings i walked away from, and it acted good, and i put a $10 AR6100 in it, and the other day it was flying along with the greatest of ease, and suddenly did a complete fast roll or two, ( when i floored it)- it wasnt a torque roll , ive floored this plane before ,on 72 mhz and no bad effects --when the ailerons regained communication with the rx the plane was flying not upside down , or knife edge, but flat- i didnt floor it again that flight
is the motor drawing so much at full throttle that it pulls voltage from the rx? this motor is the only one of its ilk i got - its a rctimer 2208-8 2600kv
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	p1.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	147631   Click image for larger version

Name:	p2.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	147632  

Last edited by kevinm; 04-30-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:57 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Those cheep knock-off recievers are not very reliable so that could be the problem.

It could also be the rx voltage going low and causing a brown out. Put a volt meter on one of the rx leads - you can use an extension - and measure the voltage at the rx while you run up the motor to full power. See if it drops. Also check your main battery pack to be sure it can handle the motor loads and isnt shutting down or over heating.

There are also a bunch of other possibilities like one of the servos starting to go bad, loose connections etc.
Old 05-07-2011, 02:04 AM
mred
Super Contributor

It may very well be a brownout causing it. If it is a brownout, then you are running the battery to far down or putting to much of a load on the ESC. You can try adding a NeMah battery and see if that fixes your problem, but if you go that route, make sure you take the red wire off coming from the ESC to the receiver first. You only need one power source. You said that it only did it when you floored it. Is this the second receiver you had in this plane and did it do this any other time? What was your battery voltage when you landed or can you tell me what you put back in the battery when you changed it. What is the C rating of the battery and how many amps are you drawing at full throttle? It would also help to know the size of the battery. If you can give us this information we may be able to help you a little more and not just guess at the problem.

Ed
Old 05-07-2011, 05:24 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

A great thing to have for situations like this is a data logging ESC like the Castle Ice series or the Hobby King Super Brains. These will give you a continuous graph of battery voltage for your entire flight. You can nab the culprit as soon as you pick up the pieces of the plane!

That is a nice looking trainer. Hope she didn't get hurt too bad.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:00 AM
mred
Super Contributor

I agree that those ESC's would be nice, but I use an Eagle Tree and get a lot more information then that and I just transfer it from plane to plane. It's really nice to be able to graph all that data on my computer and keep a record of what I get for each plane and use that information for any other plane that is of like size and power.

Ed
Old 05-12-2011, 05:29 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Actually these smart ESCs track throttle position, amp draw, motor rpm, ESC temperature and battery voltage, all without adding extra weight and complexities to your airplane. I don't see how the Eagle Tree could possibly cover them all, especially ESC temperature.

And inspection of Eagle Tree's website shows that with the proper add-on peripherals (extra cost for each) you can indeed measure motor rpm, amp draw, battery voltage and even get an exterior reading of ESC temperature. You buy the eLogger v4 for $69.99, add the brushless motor RPM sensor for $14.99, the servo current monitor for $24.99 and perhaps the temperature loop sensor for $9.99. Total price: $119.96 and you can now duplicate the features of my $39.99 ESC.

Granted, you can plug in a GPS, altitude sensor, airspeed sensor, and a JR/Spektrum receiver analyzer, along with a $39.99 LCD display so you can read numerical data in the field, but if you're going to pony up those kind of bucks, you better expect something extra even if it costs even more dollars. And if you want to go FPV and have the data superimposed on the flight camera image, Eagle Tree makes that painless too.

But if all you want is to know how your power system is performing and don't want to add extra weight to your airframe, the smart ESCs are a much more cost effective way to get the same information. Don't believe for a second Eagle Tree's red herring that Turnigy and Castle are going to lose interest and abandon their customers. Smart ESCs are the future, and the future is going to be plenty cheap.

Eagle Tree's market is the FPV crowd and those who want the altimeter, GPS and airspeed data after the flight. I would guess that's a pretty decent group of people and they'll do just fine. But there will be a lot more smart ESCs and not so many Eagle Trees out there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.148.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	286.5 KB
ID:	148287   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.136.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	148288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Super Brain ESC.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	811.7 KB
ID:	148291  

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 05-12-2011 at 06:17 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:37 PM
cbatters
Super Contributor

Do you have a link to Superbrain ESC?

Clint
Old 05-12-2011, 09:53 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Sure! And one to the Castle Ice series too. Let me just search around here in my pockets........

Here's one! For the Super Brain series of Hobby King ESCs: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10941.

And to be fair, a link to the Castle Phoenix Ice series too. Never heard anybody complain about a Castle ESC! http://www.castlecreations.com/produ...oenix_ice.html.

And the link to the Eagle Tree data systems, which can do much more than the ESCs by including positional, speed and altitude data logging too: http://www.eagletreesystems.com/MicroPower/micro.htm.

And as of the moment, that covers it all. I'll bet we'll see more data logging products in the future.
Old 05-12-2011, 11:31 PM
mred
Super Contributor

Sorry if you took my comments the wrong way. I wasn't putting down your ESC, just simply stating that I use the Eagle Tree because I have one and I got it before all these super brain ESC's hit the market. I have nothing against your ESC's and would probably buy some if I didn't already have my Eagle Tree and a bunch of ESC's waiting to be used. Sure it cost more, but when I got it, that was the only way to get this information..................

Ed
Old 05-13-2011, 01:00 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

No problem at all mred. We are incredibly fortunate to take part in a hobby that is so well served that there is almost always more than one way to do the right thing. As the smart ESCs snap up their part of the business, I'm sure Eagle Tree will refine their market to emphasize telemetry (possibly using the new radios' capabilities, I'm sure) and FPV plug and play systems. The smart ESCs can never go there!

This is what happens when a specialized market becomes commoditized. That happened in computers when desktop computers became a commodity. The big name computer manufacturers realized that they could no longer command the high margins that their specialized brand name machines used to command. They moved into laptops, which are highly proprietary in design, made them arguably as powerful as a desktop and continued as before with a slightly different product. So far they have been able to resist standardization of laptop components, which could commoditize them too.

Eagle Tree just has to focus on their strengths and they'll be better and better.