RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum or JR?

Old 06-24-2008, 05:12 AM
Ancient RCer

Default Spektrum or JR?

I have been out of RC for 10 years or so, and have decided to start flying again.Whew! What a difference! I'm planning to go all electric this time so I have been doing my homework on battery types, chargers, etc. I am about to purchase a new 2.4 GHz system and have settled on either a Spektrum or JR. I know they are similar in technology, but I was wondering if anyone had a good reason to buy one over the other? I haven't seen anything smaller than a 9 channel in the JR line, and it is considerably more than the 7 channel Specktrum. Other than the cost, is it just personal preference? This is my first post - so hopefully I am not asking a redundant question. Thanks for any advice/opinions. Nice forum btw - very informative.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:16 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

RCer,

Firstly, Welcome To Wattflyer!

As for your choice of TX, well, bravo. My choice as well. I have the DX7, and I think I am set for a long long time. Probably the best course would be to decide if you need more than 7 channels. If not, or if not for a very long time, then Spektrum would be the way to go, IMHO. (Incidentally, they are more than similar; they are virtually identical as far as I have been able to tell) If you plan on using more channels in the near future, go with the JR; you can use the smaller RX units, they are all compatible with the JRs.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:52 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Welcome to WattFlyer, RCer.

I think you will be happy with going all electric.

I agree with Kev on the choice of Spektrum. I also have a DX7 and am pleased with it. The JR 9303 is further upscale from the DX7 and probably has smoother gimbals, at least according to the reviews. It has more memory spots, but 20 is enough for me. Of course, it costs more.

The same receivers will work with either transmitter, so no problem there.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:18 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Same radios except, as Jim said, the JR is a bit more upscale and 9 or 12 channels.

Me and my boy both have DX7's and really like them. Rock solid feel and very reliable. Have not had any issues with them.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:42 PM
bronicabill
T-Rex Addict

From the "other side of the fence", I had a DX7 for two weeks before I sold it to buy a JR X9303. The DX7 worked fine, but I was used to a bit better radio (flew a JR XP8103DT for about 8 years) and preferred the higher quality "feel" of the X9303, and of course its expanded programming options. I also still prefer the "old fashioned" throttle trim level that JR uses over the digital throttle trim on the DX7.

In all honesty the DX7 would have served me well, but I just wasn't satisfied with it after 8 years with an 8103DT, so I sold it to pay for an X9303 which I've had about 2 weeks now and dearly love! For the record, the DX7 transmitter is nothing more than a JR 7202 with a digital 2.4GHz RF section added by Spektrum, and of course the Spektrum name plate on the front!
Old 06-24-2008, 08:22 PM
sgillmore

I own both radios and they're both great choices.

The X9303 is a great radio. It's loaded with features and fairly easy to program. However, unless you're planning to use more than 7 channels, compete (pattern, 3D, etc...), fly large gasoline engines (the throttle curve on the X9303 is nice here) or fly other complicated setups then the DX7 will most likely do everything you need--and well.

I've been using a DX7 since early last year and have been very pleased with it. I have flown just about everything I own with it from foamies to 1.50-size planes and 450-class electric to 50-size nitro helicopters. To be honest, it does everything I need and then some. I only bought a X9303 out of transmitter envy. Several people that I fly with bought them and I was jealous. :o

Don't get me wrong, the X9303 is a great radio, but the DX7 is probably a better buy for the money. I'd get the DX7 and buy another plane with all the money you'll save.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:31 PM
sgillmore

I forgot to mention--someone said earlier that the X9303 probably has smoother gimbals. For the record, if the gimbals are smoother on the X9303--I sure can't tell. They both feel about the same to me.

Some of this is simply preference. If you can, go to a local hobby shop or flying field and see if you can actually get your hands on both transmitters. Check them out first hand and ask some of the locals what they like about their choice.

For example, BronicaBell mentioned the digital trim issue. I also moved from an 8103DT to the DX7, then to an X9303. I actually prefer the digital throttle trim on the DX7 over the mechanical on the X9303. In my area, that puts me in the minority, but it illustrates my point regarding personal preference.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

Well shucks. I was hoping this thread would help me male up my mind. At first it was pro 9303 and then pro DX7. No clear winner here (yet).

Frank