Use of Switch - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Use of Switch

Old 01-26-2020, 03:11 PM
dasintex

Default Use of Switch

New to E Flite; On Glow and Gas Planes a switch is always used to turn off the power to the Receiver and/or Ignition Source; I have had smaller E Powered planes and never bothered with a switch, connecting and disconnecting the battery sufficed and I would do this in the Pit area and either hand launch or carry the plane to the runway.

I have in the works a much larger E Powered plane, a Twin Otter with 2 Power 25 Motors, I'm thinking and asking 'Do I Need To Use A Switch between the ESC and the Feed to the Receiver?' because I can see connecting the battery in the Pit area then carrying the plane to the Taxi Way. I see Battery Arming devices but don't want to disrupt the semi scale appearance of the plane.

Any suggestions would be welcomed, Thanks.
Old 01-26-2020, 04:27 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

No need for switch.

Just make sure you have a correctly setup Throttle Cut enabled for safety to avoid props starting up by accident.

The reason 'wet fuel' powered models have a switch - is that most have a permanent installed Rx / Ignition battery pack and that needs some way to switch off.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:58 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

If it takes a bit of time to get inside your plane, you can use this. It is really just the male and female parts of a battery connector. The inside part is wired so that power must flow through the part mounted on the side of your plane. The outside part is just shorted across the terminals, it is inserted into the plane to power up the system. It remains inplace during flight and is removed after landing. A switch large enough to handle the current would be large and expensive.
https://www.hobbytown.com/schumacher...ud0304/p227718
Old 01-27-2020, 12:04 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

dasintex
There is a school of thought that says connecting a battery to any motor with a prop is potentially dangerous so the only truly safe electric plane is one where the flight battery is physically disconnected. This suggests the connection is made in a dedicated area just before you fly, hence the use of a arming plug where installing and connecting the battery requires the plane to be taken apart. The exact nature of any rules will depend on where you fly.