My first "real" scratch build - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

My first "real" scratch build

Old 06-16-2015, 12:27 AM
Bald Paul

My laser cut parts arrived this evening! Time to organize the workbench and start breaking in the new building boards tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Laser Cut Parts-0001.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	5.95 MB
ID:	180996  
Old 06-16-2015, 11:35 AM
quorneng
Super Contributor

I still find it hard to reconcile the phrase "My laser cut parts arrived this evening" and "my first real scratch build" but then I am a bit of a dinosaur!
Looks good nevertheless and am looking forward to the build.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:49 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by quorneng View Post
I still find it hard to reconcile the phrase "My laser cut parts arrived this evening" and "my first real scratch build" but then I am a bit of a dinosaur!
Looks good nevertheless and am looking forward to the build.
LOL! Yes, it sounds like a bit of a 'cheat', but I did take the time to teach myself CAD and design the plane myself. The only difference is that I'm taking advantage of new technologies to draw and produce the parts, rather than paper and pencil, cutting them all out with an X-Acto knife and a set of rib templates.

An X-Acto knife was probably frowned upon by the very first modelers, who cut their parts with a piece of sharpened flint.
Old 06-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Bald Paul

Progress made today - the fuselage is taking shape very quickly, thanks in part to the tab and slot design. Everything fit, but there was one thing the design team (i.e.: me) forgot - the pushrod assemblies for the rudder and elevator have to pass through the bulkhead behind the servo tray, but there's no opening. A little manual drilling and sawing took care of that, and the offending bulkhead design has been corrected in CAD.

Name:	Fuselage construction 1-0001.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	5.80 MB
ID:	181004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuselage construction 2-0001.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	5.55 MB
ID:	181005  
Old 06-16-2015, 08:05 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Hi; Does anyone with a spectrum DX6I know how to bring up the BLUE backlight on the screen . I have been trying most of the day with no results. On the set up list #12 is for contrast on the screen it runs from 0 to 100 % with 50% being the default. But even at 100% it is still low lit and there seems to be no information about turning on the Blue backlight for the screen in the manual. Please Help FDNYJERY
Old 06-16-2015, 08:11 PM
Bald Paul

fdnyjery, you may want to have the mods move your post to the radios forum. You'll probably get better results there.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:41 PM
quorneng
Super Contributor

Are you sure your DX6i has a back light screen?
As far as I am aware it was always an after market modification.
The new DX6 has a factory fitted back light.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:56 PM
fdnyjery
FDNYJERY

Thanks Gentlemen .I will check with Spectrum to see if I can get that Backlight mod installed. Many Thanks FDNYJERY
Old 06-17-2015, 07:54 PM
Bald Paul

Default Progress 6-17-2015

Today I got the tail feathers built, and the horiz and vert stabs glued in place. Also got the battery hatch cover built. Still finding little "oops" in the design, but again, all minor and easily corrected. Then I go back and fix the CAD files.

Name:	Battery Hatch .jpg
Views:	75
Size:	5.09 MB
ID:	181046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Hatch  installed.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	4.88 MB
ID:	181047   Click image for larger version

Name:	progress 6-17.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	5.58 MB
ID:	181048  
Old 06-18-2015, 09:16 PM
Bald Paul

Waiting for some needed hardware to arrive (I really miss the old hobby shops I had nearby in MA) so I played around with the cockpit today. It's actually part of the wing structure. The pilot will hide the access holes for the wing hold down bolts, and is held in place with magnets.

Name:	cockpit floor-0001.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	6.52 MB
ID:	181053   Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot magnets-0001.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	5.96 MB
ID:	181054   Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot in cockpit-0001.jpg
Size:	6.73 MB
ID:	181055  
Old 06-18-2015, 09:35 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Nice!
Old 06-20-2015, 01:03 AM
Bald Paul

Lots accomplished today. Elevator halves are joined, and they and the rudder are hinged. Control rods are set up. Motor, ESC, and radio installed.
Tomorrow I hope to do some sanding, and maybe start covering the fuselage.

That is, after I knock a few dozen things off the 'honey do' list around the house that my wife has let me slide on while working on the plane so far. Gotta love her!

Name:	Elevator joined-0001.jpg
Size:	5.69 MB
ID:	181068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor and F1-0001.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	6.77 MB
ID:	181069  
Old 06-20-2015, 10:48 PM
Bald Paul

My least favorite part of building - covering.

I got most of the fuselage covered. Tomorrow, I'll do the tail in yellow. My wife is working on the graphics with a section of trim sheet and her crafting machine. All that is left after that is to glue the hinges for the elevator and rudder in place, and connect some linkage from the rudder to the tailwheel. Then, it's on to the wing build.

Name:	covering started-0001.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	6.51 MB
ID:	181070  
Old 06-30-2015, 07:00 PM
Bald Paul

After a brief hiatus from building (i.e.: couldn't put things on the 'honey do' list off any longer!) I'm back on the workbench. Wing build is up next. The center "wing box" is built, and one half of the wing structure is almost complete.

Name:	wing box SMALL-0001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	181175   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing build SMALL-0001.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	181176  

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-01-2015 at 08:35 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:40 PM
Bald Paul

Second half of the wing is done, and they have been joined to the wing box with about 1.25" of dihedral on each wing. It comes out to a 48" wingspan with the wingtips. Waiting on some hardware (have I mentioned I really miss the old LHS?) so I can mount the aileron servos into the wings. I did build a mount for my mini video camera that can go in place of the pilot (magnetic hold in) for some in-flight shots. It looks like I should have something to fly at E-Week after all!

Name:	almost done SMALL-0001.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	181177  

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-12-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:09 PM
Bald Paul

All it needs is graphics! Well, that and balancing (although it seems pretty close), setting control throws, etc.
I must admit, I will be feeling a sense of pride when this bird goes into the sky on it's maiden flight. I also have to admit that there will be a pretty decent dose of nerves as well! One good thing, if it doesn't end well, I have all the CAD files and my own 'construction manual' to try again! (But lets hope it doesn't come to that!)

EDIT: just put the plane on the balancer. I have an estimated 'range' of acceptable CG. Starting at mid-range, the plane is just the tiniest bit nose heavy. This is good! Total weight came out to 47 ounces. With 3 sq.ft of wing area, that's a wing loading of about 15.7 oz/sq. ft. Should be a real floater!

Name:	TopDown View (small pic)-0001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	181186   Click image for larger version

Name:	On floor (small pic)-0001.jpg
Size:	207.1 KB
ID:	181187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Exhaust (small pic)-0001.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	181188  

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-03-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:14 PM
Bald Paul

Default The Finishing Touches!

My wife created the graphics on trim Monokote sheets, using her Cricut crafting machine. They came out great! The excess sheet was removed from the backing, and clear shelf liner from Wal-Mart is then applied over the letters. The Monokote backing can then be peeled off, with the lettering stuck to the shelf liner sheet. Being clear, it's easy to line things up. A little pressure on the lettering, and the clear sheeting can be carefully peeled off.

I'm just hoping it still looks this pretty after the maiden flight!

Name:	Graphics Applied-0001.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	181252   Click image for larger version

Name:	AMA decal-0001.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	181253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Snafuey II decal-0001.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	181254  
Old 07-15-2015, 12:24 PM
riverrat
circa: 1946

Default Maiden

Paul

Good luck on the maiden!!
Nice build!!

Regards
Jimmy
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Bald Paul

Default The Snafuey II has it's maiden flight!

And, a very successful one it was! This plane flys like a trainer. Slow and easy, very predictable. It required zero trim adjustments in flight. More than enough power available - in fact, I was flying in 5-10 MPH winds at less than 1/2 throttle most of the time. My "guesstimated" CG appeared to be spot on. The hardest part of the flight was getting the plane to stop floating so I could ease it down onto the runway. I couldn't be happier with the result of all my work!
Old 07-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Stevephoon
Super Contributor

Great job! You did something that I want to do at some point as well. I'd like to create my own designs and see what happens... I have just done a couple on paper, but I like the idea of getting to the point where I can send files off to be cut for complex designs.....

Would you mind sharing who did the cutting and how much it cost? Keeping costs down is a consideration I have as well....

Steve
Old 07-16-2015, 07:07 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by Stevephoon View Post
Great job! You did something that I want to do at some point as well. I'd like to create my own designs and see what happens... I have just done a couple on paper, but I like the idea of getting to the point where I can send files off to be cut for complex designs.....

Would you mind sharing who did the cutting and how much it cost? Keeping costs down is a consideration I have as well....

Steve
Steve, definitely do it if at all possible! Although I used more than my fair share of cuss words while teaching myself CAD, I eventually got myself to the point where I was thanking myself for NOT doing it in pencil and paper.

I sent my CAD files out to National Balsa. The parts were laid out according to the type of wood needed (ply, lite ply, balsa of the required thicknesses). National Balsa provided the materials and cutting for around $150. I still had to buy stock (spars, stringers, some balsa sheets) for the 'simple' parts that really didn't require laser cutting. I'm already designing the 'optional' wing with a semi-symmetrical airfoil for a bit more aerobatic performance.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:11 PM
Bald Paul

Here's the on-board video of the maiden flight. The 'ground loop' at the start was unintentional (field is bumpy). I was trying to stop the plane so the camera could get a good 'still shot' of the pilot and co-pilot (my wife, who was trying to take video with her new smart phone. Didn't work well.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ke2HZV7HzfY

Last edited by Bald Paul; 07-16-2015 at 08:32 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:23 PM
BaronBernie
Baron Bernie

Default North American OV 19A Bronco Plans

A few weeks ago I ordered and received a set of plans for the Bronco from the AMA plans library. The plans were reduced by 1/2 as a 70-inch wing span is a bit to much .

This build will be both fun and a test of my ability as the build will be out of dollar tree foam board. Also the dimensions will be transferred from the plans right on to the foam board (good thing I have some drafting experience) .

If any else has done this type of build, any and all help will be appreciated.

Bernie
Old 07-17-2015, 11:22 PM
Bald Paul

Default And now, work begins on the Snafuey II, ver 2.0

Back to the drawing board (or, the keyboard, I guess).

The second wing is in the design stages. (In fact, it's almost done.) The plane now has a flat bottom airfoil with 1.25" of dihedral at each wing tip. The new wing (ver 2.0) will be semi symmetrical with 1" of dihedral. This wing will have a closed cockpit as well, just to change the overall appearance of the plane. It should be interesting to see the difference in performance of the two wings on the same fuselage, with the same power.

I'm also considering design changes in the fuselage so that it can be built as either a taildragger, or tricycle gear setup.
Old 08-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Bald Paul

The second 'sport' wing is done. Dihedral was reduced to 0.75" at each wingtip. Wingtips were replaced with wing plates, but span and area remain unchanged. I'm hoping to get to the field soon with a couple of charged packs. I want to fly it with the 'original' wing, and then the 'sport' wing to compare the performance.

Name:	index.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	181582  

Last edited by Bald Paul; 08-24-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Added picture

Quick Reply: My first "real" scratch build

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10985 seconds with 32 queries