Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress Conversion - Page 8 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress Conversion

Old 03-19-2010, 05:27 PM
park
Clear !

Dumo01,

Will APC props work on the Headsup 2712 ? Check these out http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-Pr...ops/Categories

Two blades are not static scale, but if it will make it fly good I don't care.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:09 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by park View Post
Dumo01,

Will APC props work on the Headsup 2712 ? Check these out http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-Pr...ops/Categories

Two blades are not static scale, but if it will make it fly good I don't care.
The HURC site lists several APC props he has tested and the resulting data but they are all bigger than what will fit on this, 8s and 9s. I agree about the looks issue vs flying, but I think if we can find a three blade with a more aggressive pitch, the third blade might offset the smaller diameter required to clear the fuse. Looking at the APC thin 5x5 might be good or get a 6 and trim the end off if needed. At the level of the prop I have 2 27/32 " from the motor shaft to the wall of the fuse

I was just looking at other motors on the HURC website and looked again at this one:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

It would add a couple ounces to the AUW but the boost in power might be worthwhile. Looks like you need to go to a bigger esc, which might be tight fit in the nacelles but I think it would be doable.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

Congratulations to you guys on your builds and thanks for doing such a fine job documenting with photos.
I'd like to do a B-24 to represent one a friend's dad crewed on in the 15th AAF. It and the crew went down over Yugo. They all survived and made it back after 26 days E&E.
Anyway, thanks and I'll be following you're progress.
Old 03-20-2010, 12:56 AM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
The HURC site lists several APC props he has tested and the resulting data but they are all bigger than what will fit on this, 8s and 9s. I agree about the looks issue vs flying, but I think if we can find a three blade with a more aggressive pitch, the third blade might offset the smaller diameter required to clear the fuse. Looking at the APC thin 5x5 might be good or get a 6 and trim the end off if needed. At the level of the prop I have 2 27/32 " from the motor shaft to the wall of the fuse

I was just looking at other motors on the HURC website and looked again at this one:

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...ushless/Detail

It would add a couple ounces to the AUW but the boost in power might be worthwhile. Looks like you need to go to a bigger esc, which might be tight fit in the nacelles but I think it would be doable.
That looks like a little power house ! Looks like the prop issue is going to be the real challenge.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:09 AM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by Capt Easy View Post
Congratulations to you guys on your builds and thanks for doing such a fine job documenting with photos.
I'd like to do a B-24 to represent one a friend's dad crewed on in the 15th AAF. It and the crew went down over Yugo. They all survived and made it back after 26 days E&E.

Man I tell ya,

I just spent two hours sanding the wing LE and TE. It's an honor to build this model and one's I have, and will build in remembrance of our veterans. I like the older planes, but it doesnít matter if it's a WWI bi-plane or a modern jet, my hats off too you.
Please give us more info on the crewmembers and aircraft of that B-24. I would love to build a B24, but I'm out of room ! I bet Iíll build a B24 before to long.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:29 AM
Capt Easy
Super Contributor

park,
Thanks for the comments, I feel likewise.
I'll be posting details on the plane and crew on the Official Hill Country Wattheads thread:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...=1#post702771d

ce
Old 03-20-2010, 03:40 PM
park
Clear !

park,
I'll be posting details on the plane and crew on the Official Hill Country Wattheads thread:

ce

Looking forward to your B24 build !
Old 03-20-2010, 03:47 PM
park
Clear !

I enjoyed most of the afternoon planing and sanding on the left wing. My little hobby planer sure made this a lot easier. This is a very strong wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04339.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	123498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04341.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	123499   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04342.JPG
Views:	249
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	123500   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04350.JPG
Views:	258
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	123501   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04357.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	123502  

Old 03-20-2010, 08:52 PM
park
Clear !

Well it took about 50 days to finish this wing ! When I got to the aileron construction and the plans called for card stock paper to be cut out and glued to the aileron spar and ribs. that seems heavy to me so I cut a TE out of what was left of the wing TE and made an aileron that I will cover with so-lite. I think the aileron turned out ok, the chord is a little long but I think I’ll leave it. I used Dubro hinges, I was suprised at how small the aileron is compared to the rest of the plane, so I got out some books to see if it was scale and it was, it just seems like it should be larger.

Name:	DSC04359.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	123518   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04360.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	123519   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04361.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	123520   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04362.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	123521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04363.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	123522  

Last edited by park; 03-21-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
park
Clear !

I got an idea to run by you guys,,,,when this model is built as an RC it has a reputation of being a little heavy. What if I put fixed flaps? My gear is going to be fixed and why not fixed half flaps?
Looking through the post I came across this one,that was stupid.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Well it took about 50 days to finish this wing ! When I got to the aileron construction and the plans called for card stock paper to be cut out and glued to the aileron spar and ribs. that seems heavy to me so I cut a TE out of what was left of the wing TE and made an aileron that I will cover with so-lite. I think the aileron turned out ok, the cord is a little long but I think I’ll leave it. I used Dubro hinges, I was suprised at how small the aileron is compared to the rest of the plane, so I got out some books to see if it was scale and it was, it just seems like it should be larger.

Looking good park. That was the same way I did my ailerons. Trying to hold those little pieces at the tips of the aileron makes you glad to have forceps to work with. I added some extra wood and did my hinges in between the ribs. I was not sure I thought the wood/glue area in the rib was going to provide enough strength.I was surprised at the small ailerons also. Hope they work well.

Took mine to our club show today, I think it showed well, got a lot of good comments so I was happy with that. One of our club members also had a B17 there, wing span about 60" . He had powered it with a single IC engine in the nose hidden by a nose cone when on display, takes the cone off and adds the prop to fly it. Different but I guess it works.

Looking forward to following the B24 thread as well. I am giving thought to researching and building a B26 next fall. My uncle was a B26 pilot, shot down over Italy, spent 1- 1 1/2 years as POW. Would like to try to find details on his plane if I can. he died a couple years ago and I do not know if my aunt kept any of his old records. Anybody know of any good B26 kits?
Old 03-21-2010, 01:51 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Looking through the post I came across this one,that was stupid.
I though it was an interesting idea, did not do it mind you but interesting
Old 03-21-2010, 01:58 AM
dumo01
dumo01

park,

ce

Looking forward to following your build. Should be a great plane
Old 03-21-2010, 03:20 AM
park
Clear !

Looking good park. That was the same way I did my ailerons. Trying to hold those little pieces at the tips of the aileron makes you glad to have forceps to work with. I added some extra wood and did my hinges in between the ribs. I was not sure I thought the wood/glue area in the rib was going to provide enough strength.I was surprised at the small ailerons also. Hope they work well.

Took mine to our club show today, I think it showed well, got a lot of good comments so I was happy with that. One of our club members also had a B17 there, wing span about 60" . He had powered it with a single IC engine in the nose hidden by a nose cone when on display, takes the cone off and adds the prop to fly it. Different but I guess it works.

Looking forward to following the B24 thread as well. I am giving thought to researching and building a B26 next fall. My uncle was a B26 pilot, shot down over Italy, spent 1- 1 1/2 years as POW. Would like to try to find details on his plane if I can. he died a couple years ago and I do not know if my aunt kept any of his old records. Anybody know of any good B26 kits?
The B-26 is cool ! Heck all the WWII planes are cool. It's mind boggling to me how many served in WWII. In every corner of this country, in every small town, someone was there. A friend of my father that passed a few years ago was a B-26 pilot.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Default B-26???

Dumo01,
Is that going to be a Marauder or an Invader kit your wanting?
I have a B-26/A-26 Invader kit that I'm willing to sell.

Standing By,
SJ

edit;
Before anyone goes telling me that I'm mistaken or worse I decided to add this bit of search info for ya'll.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...d5008ba834fada
sj

Last edited by Slowjohn; 03-21-2010 at 12:16 PM. Reason: added info
Old 03-21-2010, 03:34 PM
park
Clear !

You may already know this, but the Collins foundation B-17, 24 and P-51 are going to be at New Braunfels Wed., Thurs., and Fri. You should go and get some up close pictures of the 24 for reference of your 24 build. Looks like the best WX day will be Fri. I'll go that day for sure and probably one of the other days. I'm going to take some detail photos of all three planes.

Scott, can you make any of these days?
Old 03-21-2010, 04:39 PM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Dumo01,
Is that going to be a Marauder or an Invader kit your wanting?
I have a B-26/A-26 Invader kit that I'm willing to sell.

Standing By,
SJ

edit;
Before anyone goes telling me that I'm mistaken or worse I decided to add this bit of search info for ya'll.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...d5008ba834fada
sj
SJ

Thanks for the offer, I will keep it in mind but I need to do some more research on my end first. I am guessing from the timing of the events that his plane was most likely a Marauder but I am not sure yet.

You know how these military projects work; they not not go anywhere without a stack of paperwork in triplicate
Old 03-22-2010, 02:42 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

They are in Austin in april. I might can make it to that one. I really would like to see them when they come in and land!
Old 03-22-2010, 04:29 AM
park
Clear !

Have you ever been inside one? It's very cool, they charge about 10-12 bucks and worth every penny. I'll probably make the NB, GTU and AUS stops. Those planes and us are not getting any younger, some day they may not be around.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:18 PM
park
Clear !

I'll start the right wing today, no pictures unless something unusual happens. This wing should go quicker than the left since the parts are already cut.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:31 AM
dumo01
dumo01

It appears that the motor issue, at least for the moment, is solved. Never did really find anything as a real cause. Took one motor system apart, tried it on a different ESC and worked fine. Put it back on the original ESC in the B17 and everything is working. Rechecked all the motor mount screws and made sure all were lock-tighted in. I need to get a better scale, maybe tomorrow and then will try to get some accurate measurements of actual thrust generated by the four motors along with total current draw.

I think I am going to have to change the servos I am using for the ailerons also. When I have been working with it the past few days I have noticed several times that the aileron on either side will move to the extreme of the excursion and jam. If I take the servos off the control rods they work OK, so I am guessing they just do not have enough power to move those surfaces. The hinges are stiffer than I thought they would be. Maybe will spend some time working the surfaces manually to see if they break in. Could be a waste of time, but at least in a short dose will not hurt.

Actually got outside to fly this afternoon. Did not have time to drive up to the club field, so took the micro SU 26 and P51 down the street to the local park. Very light breeze and no other planes to see and avoid. Amazing how much fun you can have when you don't have dodge other airplanes. Only flew for 30 40 minutes but was well worth it.

Legacy anything new? I am sure Park is enjoying the right wing.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:12 AM
park
Clear !

It appears that the motor issue, at least for the moment, is solved. Never did really find anything as a real cause. Took one motor system apart, tried it on a different ESC and worked fine. Put it back on the original ESC in the B17 and everything is working. Rechecked all the motor mount screws and made sure all were lock-tighted in. I need to get a better scale, maybe tomorrow and then will try to get some accurate measurements of actual thrust generated by the four motors along with total current draw.

I think I am going to have to change the servos I am using for the ailerons also. When I have been working with it the past few days I have noticed several times that the aileron on either side will move to the extreme of the excursion and jam. If I take the servos off the control rods they work OK, so I am guessing they just do not have enough power to move those surfaces. The hinges are stiffer than I thought they would be. Maybe will spend some time working the surfaces manually to see if they break in. Could be a waste of time, but at least in a short dose will not hurt.

Actually got outside to fly this afternoon. Did not have time to drive up to the club field, so took the micro SU 26 and P51 down the street to the local park. Very light breeze and no other planes to see and avoid. Amazing how much fun you can have when you don't have dodge other airplanes. Only flew for 30 40 minutes but was well worth it.

Legacy anything new? I am sure Park is enjoying the right wing.
Glad you got the motor problem fixed, then off to the next one It's nice to fly at home, I flew my Apprentice yesterday morning, it was clear with calm winds.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:49 PM
park
Clear !

Except for the aileron the right wing in done. What a difference on build time from the left wing. It had been so long I didn't realize that I had all the parts cut and ready to go, it only took three days! I could not help but put it on it's feet. I was very pleased with how well the wing rails slid into the fuselage.

Name:	DSC04384.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	123952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04386.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	123953   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04388.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	123954  
Old 03-25-2010, 04:19 PM
scott-p
crash test pilot

looks great ken
Old 03-26-2010, 02:30 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Default Power system numbers

Got some measurements on the power system tonight. All other things being equal I think it should work.

With all four motors cranking at WOT the system was generating about 40 ounces of thrust. I was not able to get the scale I wanted to use for this purpose so I used the one I had at home which is a food scale. Balanced the plane on it's nose, zeroed out the weight of the aircraft, and held the plane upright while I opened the throttle to full and checked to see what the scale read. The all up weight of the plane will be about 37 ounces when I get the balancing weight fastened into the nose.

After I was done with that I hooked in the wattmeter and went back to full throttle. With all four motors cranking at WOT, the system was drawing a shade under 20 amps on a 3 S battery. I was busy holding the plane down, so I did not notice what the voltage dropped to at WOT, but was at 12.37 v throttle off. If there is a way to use a bigger or higher pitch prop, the motor should have room to do more, but I think the thrust as is should be enough for it to fly well. Landing may still be kind of hot but will have to deal with that when the time comes.

Power system:
HURC 2712-17 motor x 4
HURC 10 a ESC x 4
GSW 5030 3 blade prop x 4
Turnigy 2200 maH 3s battery 20 C

Park: Plane is looking good. It does add something when you can get the wings and legs on and it looks like a real plane

Quick Reply: Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress Conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16064 seconds with 24 queries