Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress Conversion - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress Conversion

Old 02-21-2010, 04:15 AM
park
Clear !

That's a COOL B-17 !!
Old 02-26-2010, 04:54 AM
Legacy
Crash Test Dummy

Hows it going guys. Any news on the planes. I have put mine to the side for a little while so I could do a quick build.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53934
I have all my main pieces built for the B-17. They just need to be put together and have a good sanding done to them. I got tired of waiting for parts to arrive for the B-17 so I decided to build a quick biplane idea that I have had floating around in my head.
Old 02-26-2010, 01:25 PM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
Hows it going guys. Any news on the planes. I have put mine to the side for a little while so I could do a quick build.
http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53934
I have all my main pieces built for the B-17. They just need to be put together and have a good sanding done to them. I got tired of waiting for parts to arrive for the B-17 so I decided to build a quick biplane idea that I have had floating around in my head.
I'm kinda doing the same thing too. Last weekend I decided to put the B17 aside for just a day or two to finish the C150 since I have all the parts for it, then get back on the B17. But then I had a bathroom remodeling job come up (that's good) and didn't get a chance to work on the C150 at all this week. The remodeling job will be done today so I hope to have the C150 done by Sunday.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 PM
dumo01
dumo01

What is new is not good. Was looking at the plane last Sunday and realized I have the controls crossed on the rudder - tail wheel combination. Stick movement that produces right rudder moves the tail wheel to the left and vice verse. A dumb thumb building move but that is relatively easy to fix if irritating. Couple of options, the easiest will probably be to add another servo for the tail wheel.

The second problem will be tougher I think. As I was building the wing I checked the power system several times to try to make sure I would have working motors servos etc and all seemed to be well until I ran up the system with my watt meter inline and after running for a minute or so at about half throttle the right inboard suddenly started turning very slowly and has developed a stutter. What I have found thus far on these symptoms indicates a bad connection or intermitent wire break somewhere. The other three motors are fine. I am going to try testing a couple other configurations but do not expect to see anything different. Of course this occurs after everything is all closed up, and I suspect trying to trouble shoot this will involve a long and destructive teardown of the nacelle and possibly the wing, with a subsequesnt rebuild. I had sort of conditioned myself to the idea that this was not going to be an easy aircraft to work on, but was hoping to get further than this before starting this process. Trying to decide if I want to attack it now or wait, finish the detailing for the show and then start into it after the show in March.
Truly irritating!!
Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 AM
park
Clear !

Originally Posted by dumo01 View Post
What is new is not good. Was looking at the plane last Sunday and realized I have the controls crossed on the rudder - tail wheel combination. Stick movement that produces right rudder moves the tail wheel to the left and vice verse. A dumb thumb building move but that is relatively easy to fix if irritating. Couple of options, the easiest will probably be to add another servo for the tail wheel.

The second problem will be tougher I think. As I was building the wing I checked the power system several times to try to make sure I would have working motors servos etc and all seemed to be well until I ran up the system with my watt meter inline and after running for a minute or so at about half throttle the right inboard suddenly started turning very slowly and has developed a stutter. What I have found thus far on these symptoms indicates a bad connection or intermitent wire break somewhere. The other three motors are fine. I am going to try testing a couple other configurations but do not expect to see anything different. Of course this occurs after everything is all closed up, and I suspect trying to trouble shoot this will involve a long and destructive teardown of the nacelle and possibly the wing, with a subsequesnt rebuild. I had sort of conditioned myself to the idea that this was not going to be an easy aircraft to work on, but was hoping to get further than this before starting this process. Trying to decide if I want to attack it now or wait, finish the detailing for the show and then start into it after the show in March.
Truly irritating!!
Awa Man !!!
At least the nice thing about wood and covered planes is they can be cut apart and put back together again, but I feel your pain.

About the nose wheel steering, I can think of two fixes. I don't know exactly how you have it set up but 1. maybe you can install a new control arm on the other side of the tail wheel pivot point to reverse the direction of movement, or 2. Install the push rod/cable to the other side of the rudder.

When I made my tail wheel steering/rudder combo I must have thought it through for two days before I nailed it into place, I had it wrong the first time.

The motor problem is going to be a bit of a PITA. You will have to trouble shoot every connection, wire and the MOTOR that is having the problem.
Don't give up! Please send pictures of the tail wheel re-work.

Here's some bad close up pictures of my tail wheel rigging. Two pic's show the servo arm with a cable and push rod connection. The cable goes to the rudder and the push rod to the tail wheel. The other pic shows the tail wheel control arm wth the push rod connection and the cable in a yellow tub passing under neath the tail wheel control arm going to the rudder. The pic was taken looking forward through the stabilizer slot.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04218.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	121821   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04220.JPG
Views:	246
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	121822   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04225.JPG
Views:	263
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	121823  
Old 02-27-2010, 04:17 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Was looking at the tail wheel issue again tonight. I think maybe I have room on the current servo mount to do a double arm and will a little add on to the tail wheel push rod I can move the tail wheel push rod to the opposite side from the rudder push rod and that will take care of it. I really want to avoid having to relocate the push rod runs if I can help it.

Looked at the motor again tonight as well. Mythought is to start by looking at the motor then the ESC. Could be connections further back but I would think that if that were the case the motor never would have functioned normally which it did at first. I also want to spend some more time looking through trouble shooting posting tomorrow to try to get some more ideas to isolate the problem.
By the looks of the weather tonight I am not planing on going anywhere early tomorrow. More snow and wind, saying another 3-5 of snow overnight. And I do not have skies on any of my planes, but at least tomorrow night is indoor flying at the doam
Old 03-02-2010, 02:06 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Got the tail wheel/ rudder issue fixed. There was room to use a double arm on the servo on the port side so I put the rudder push rod on one side and the tail wheel on the other and it is OK.

The motor issue is still hanging fire, but now I have two to work on. Was working on the whole system again and had the motors pretty much WOT and the right outboard pulled out of the mount. I though I had those well snugged up and used locktight but I guess not enough. The motor prop assembly pulled straight out of the cowl and whipped around toward the fuse, being stopped by the wire assembly. The only good part is now both motors are doing the same stutter slow spin dance so I guess that helps to narrow the index of suspicion for where the original problem is. I am betting on the juncture wher the three seperate power wires neck down into one package to go into the motor block. Might save me a little tear down and rebuild. If you use the 2712 make sure you snug the **** out of the retention set screws. I was concerned about damaging the motor can when I did it. One other thing I can see now i should have done differently is to position the motor mounts so the set screws are vertical, or at least anything but horizontal. Mine are horizontal and it makes it real tough to get a decent shot at them with a good hex driver.

I have pretty well decided to finish the detail work on this for the show and wait on the motor repairs until after. I am not sure I can get it fixed and back in shape in three weeks, as I just do not have the spare time righ now. Was looking at my decal sheet last night. Might try a couple tonight but I may need to get new. Some of them look in kind of rough shape from sitting around for so long. Have the guns almost ready to glue into place and some other detail paint to apply yet

Park the 150 look great, anything new on the 17? Good to hear you found something to feed the addiction

Legacy anything new?
Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 AM
park
Clear !

Got the tail wheel/ rudder issue fixed. There was room to use a double arm on the servo on the port side so I put the rudder push rod on one side and the tail wheel on the other and it is OK.

The motor issue is still hanging fire, but now I have two to work on. Was working on the whole system again and had the motors pretty much WOT and the right outboard pulled out of the mount. I though I had those well snugged up and used locktight but I guess not enough. The motor prop assembly pulled straight out of the cowl and whipped around toward the fuse, being stopped by the wire assembly. The only good part is now both motors are doing the same stutter slow spin dance so I guess that helps to narrow the index of suspicion for where the original problem is. I am betting on the juncture wher the three seperate power wires neck down into one package to go into the motor block. Might save me a little tear down and rebuild. If you use the 2712 make sure you snug the **** out of the retention set screws. I was concerned about damaging the motor can when I did it. One other thing I can see now i should have done differently is to position the motor mounts so the set screws are vertical, or at least anything but horizontal. Mine are horizontal and it makes it real tough to get a decent shot at them with a good hex driver.

I have pretty well decided to finish the detail work on this for the show and wait on the motor repairs until after. I am not sure I can get it fixed and back in shape in three weeks, as I just do not have the spare time righ now. Was looking at my decal sheet last night. Might try a couple tonight but I may need to get new. Some of them look in kind of rough shape from sitting around for so long. Have the guns almost ready to glue into place and some other detail paint to apply yet

Park the 150 look great, anything new on the 17? Good to hear you found something to feed the addiction

Legacy anything new?

Cool on the tail wheel steering. About the motor coming loose, was the prop balanced?

Hey, there's no hurry on these builds. It's going to take a long time to finish mine.

I hope to finsh the C150 soon then get the B17 back on the table.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:21 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Park & Legacy

If you have not seen this already check it out:

http://www.303rdbg.com/thunderbird/index.html

website on the plane modeled in the kit, pretty cool. I am printing several of the pages to display along with the model.

Props were probably not balanced as well as they should be, grossly looked at them and not bad but I guess I will check that more closely. Putting on decals, am having to remake a couple that were just in too bad shape to use after being stored for so long. Found some downloads that are very useful.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 AM
park
Clear !

Cool web site !
I love the B-17. Don't know what has drawn me to that plane but since the 70's I have read any and everything I can get my hands on about it. It didn't carry the biggest load, wasn't the fastest and it had it's flaws, but it's a really neet aircraft. Whenever one comes to my area I go and take the ground tour, I have got to break down and take the flight before it's to late and regret it.
Old 03-11-2010, 01:03 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Default New Pics, dressed up

New pics, I think all the decorating is done. I am going to do a light spray of dull coat on the decals yet, and am still trying to decide if I want to add the exhaust vents on top of the wings. I have not put the observation dome on the nose as yet. If I need to add nose weight to balance that might be a way to add some weight and glue and then cover it up.Two of the decals I had were not usable. Downloaded a Star and Bar for the fuse and did the red squadron insignia in power point. It did not occur to me until I was sliding the new decals onto the plane that my printer will not print white and I was using clear decal paper. Had to pull the decals off and go back to the store to get white decal paper

Need to work on the starboard motors yet but that is going to wait for a week or two.

The picture of the electronics bay shows the double arm servo I used for the tail wheel/ rudder. Used a DuBro ball and socket mounted under the arm for the tail wheel. Need to secure the wire bundle yet and trim off the control rods.

Definitely will need the DX6i when I start setting up the control throws. The servos at full throw move more than the surfaces will allow. Will need to keep that in mind on the next build.

Name:	DSCF1194.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	122869   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1196.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	137.1 KB
ID:	122870   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1197.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	122871   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1200.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	122872   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1201.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	122873  

Old 03-11-2010, 01:36 AM
Legacy
Crash Test Dummy

Wow Dumo that looks great. I havent touched mine in a while due to the twin engine Fundango I have been working on. Taking longer then I thought. Waiting for some more Lightex to come in. I plan on starting back on mine as soon as I get done with this project. The motors are on backorder at Tower so when they come in I am going to order the retracts, wheels and motors escs at the same time. I have the plane sitting waiting for all the controls and electronics. Really like how it turned out. Great job. What is the total weight now that it is completed?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:14 AM
park
Clear !

New pics, I think all the decorating is done. I am going to do a light spray of dull coat on the decals yet, and am still trying to decide if I want to add the exhaust vents on top of the wings. I have not put the observation dome on the nose as yet. If I need to add nose weight to balance that might be a way to add some weight and glue and then cover it up.Two of the decals I had were not usable. Downloaded a Star and Bar for the fuse and did the red squadron insignia in power point. It did not occur to me until I was sliding the new decals onto the plane that my printer will not print white and I was using clear decal paper. Had to pull the decals off and go back to the store to get white decal paper

Need to work on the starboard motors yet but that is going to wait for a week or two.

The picture of the electronics bay shows the double arm servo I used for the tail wheel/ rudder. Used a DuBro ball and socket mounted under the arm for the tail wheel. Need to secure the wire bundle yet and trim off the control rods.

Definitely will need the DX6i when I start setting up the control throws. The servos at full throw move more than the surfaces will allow. Will need to keep that in mind on the next build.
That looks really cool! I love the way the motors and props look. Was/is there a way to set them a hair back or have a shorter prop shaft, don't get me wrong you did a great job I bet you're ready for a break.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:28 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

Where did you get the decals for it. I've been looking for one of those and can't find it.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:31 AM
park
Clear !

Worked on mine a little today. Now I see what you guys were up against, it's getting interesting ! I can see now before I do anymore wing work I need to cut slots and holes for the control cables and motor wires or it could turn into a mess real quick. Dumo01 you ended up putting your ESC's in the wings right?

Name:	DSC04288.JPG
Views:	185
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	122874   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04289.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	122875  
Old 03-11-2010, 03:40 AM
park
Clear !

Dumo01,

How soon can you maiden?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:05 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by scott-p View Post
Where did you get the decals for it. I've been looking for one of those and can't find it.
Most of the decals came in the kit.

The Star and Bar was on the list are RC Groups along with a lot of others:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029

The triangle squadron insignia on the right wing I made up on power point, but any graphics program should work for that
Old 03-12-2010, 01:25 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Wow Dumo that looks great. I havent touched mine in a while due to the twin engine Fundango I have been working on. Taking longer then I thought. Waiting for some more Lightex to come in. I plan on starting back on mine as soon as I get done with this project. The motors are on backorder at Tower so when they come in I am going to order the retracts, wheels and motors escs at the same time. I have the plane sitting waiting for all the controls and electronics. Really like how it turned out. Great job. What is the total weight now that it is completed?
Total weight looks heavier that I hoped. About 35 ounces with the battery which weighs about 6 ounces. Unfortunately the beast is tail heavy as advertised. With the battery shoved as far forward as I can get it still needs about 3 to 3 1/4 ounces of weight at about the level of the windshield to balance at B6 which is the speced point. Will spend some time seeing how far up in the nose I can get the weight to try to reduce the total needed.
The length of the wing at the fuse is about 8 3/4". B6 is located about 2 " from the leading edge. The balance point with the battery but no added weight is about 3". Does B6 seem far forward to you for the CG or am I holding out false hopes?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:42 AM
Legacy
Crash Test Dummy

I will have to take a look at it tonight. I am going to pull it out and get started on it again. My club has a Warbirds flyin in a month or so that I would like to have it ready for.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:49 AM
scott-p
crash test pilot

Most of the decals came in the kit.

The Star and Bar was on the list are RC Groups along with a lot of others:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359029

The triangle squadron insignia on the right wing I made up on power point, but any graphics program should work for that

Very cool, Thanks
Old 03-12-2010, 02:23 AM
Legacy
Crash Test Dummy

Total weight looks heavier that I hoped. About 35 ounces with the battery which weighs about 6 ounces. Unfortunately the beast is tail heavy as advertised. With the battery shoved as far forward as I can get it still needs about 3 to 3 1/4 ounces of weight at about the level of the windshield to balance at B6 which is the speced point. Will spend some time seeing how far up in the nose I can get the weight to try to reduce the total needed. The length of the wing at the fuse is about 8 3/4". B6 is located about 2 " from the leading edge. The balance point with the battery but no added weight is about 3". Does B6 seem far forward to you for the CG or am I holding out false hopes?
Took a look at my plane and yes I would say between B6 or B7. B6 looks a little to far forward. If I had to guess I would go with B7. I would rather be nose heavy then tail heavy.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:26 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Originally Posted by park View Post
Dumo01,

How soon can you maiden?
I think the maiden may be awhile

I agree with your thoughts about the the props being too far forward. I really noticed it last night when I was taking the pictures. I would have to take off the cowls, release the motors from the mounts, and use a drill to ream out the firewall behind the mount so I can slide the motor back further into the mount. Doable but I would have to cut off the cowls and glue them back on. That is most likely what I will end up doing on the right side to troubleshoot and fix the motor issue, so in the long run doing the left side may not add that much pain. The other option is get the Dremel fired up with a cutting wheel and trim off about 3/16 " from each shaft,but that just seems like a bad thing to do.

I put each ESC in each nacelle behind its respective motor. I had originally planned to use 20a ESC but they were much to large to fit into the nacelle, let alone trying to fit them into the fuse. I came to the conclusion that the 20s were more than what I needed so I used 10a esc and fit much better. Possibly with some cramming it might be possible to get all 4 10 a units in the fuse. The heat generation from all 4 units in the fuse is a concern, but getting all 4 in the fuse would reduce concerns about adding wire between the battery and ESC, which is cited as cause of ESC failure. That failure mode seems to increased with the length of wire added, and typically seems to well above the 8- 10" max I was adding. Of course now with the motor problem yet to be diagnosed I wonder if the parallel wiring actually increases the effective length of the wire system increasing the potential, along with the low capacity ESC for a problem
I really think it is just a connection issue,but a PIA none the less

I would go ahead and cut the wire slots and runs now if I were you. Easier than trying to cut on an angle after assembly. I brought my wire runs through the back third of the wing and then forward to each ESC/ motor. Used the same wire run to go out to the servo at each aileron. I think you said you were going to use a single central servo for both ailerons so you might be able to run your wires more forward and cut down on the wire needed somewhat. It is a bit of a trick trying to manage the wire bundle while trying to glue the wing into place. Don't forget to cut a channel into the F1 on each side of the fuse.

Kind of took a break last week and it was nice to get away from it for a few days so I kind of would like to start tearing it down to get the motors fixed, but am going to wait till after our show on March 20. The field still has snow on also so flying it there will not happen soon. The snow will be gone after the weekend I think, but only because it is supposed to rain all weekend, so Monday it will be pretty mushy. Our field is grass and with the short legs on this plane it might not deal well with that combination. It is kept pretty well cut during the summer but is not ready for prime time just yet.

Keep sticking up the posts as you keep going. Good to see how yours and Legacy's are coming
Old 03-12-2010, 02:02 PM
park
Clear !

Took a look at my plane and yes I would say between B6 or B7. B6 looks a little to far forward. If I had to guess I would go with B7. I would rather be nose heavy then tail heavy.
On plan "A" in referance to the control line set-up B6 is the balance point. Don't know if it would be different for free flight / RC ?
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
park
Clear !

Dumo01, after looking at the last pictures you posted made me realize I ran my rudder cable under the horizontal stab., and that won't work. I re-routed it to come out of the vertical stab. Thanks !

Name:	DSC04293.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	122909   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04290.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	122910  
Old 03-12-2010, 02:28 PM
park
Clear !

I think the maiden may be awhile

I agree with your thoughts about the the props being too far forward. I really noticed it last night when I was taking the pictures. I would have to take off the cowls, release the motors from the mounts, and use a drill to ream out the firewall behind the mount so I can slide the motor back further into the mount. Doable but I would have to cut off the cowls and glue them back on. That is most likely what I will end up doing on the right side to troubleshoot and fix the motor issue, so in the long run doing the left side may not add that much pain. The other option is get the Dremel fired up with a cutting wheel and trim off about 3/16 " from each shaft,but that just seems like a bad thing to do.
Aggree, I wouldn't move them unless you have to. The props being forward may help with the CG issue.

Quick Reply: Guillows B-17 Flying Fortress Conversion

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.10658 seconds with 24 queries