Deans connectors - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Deans connectors

Old 09-13-2008, 09:58 AM
meddyliol

Question Deans connectors

I have just bought seven Deans connectors as everyone raves about them but where are the best places to fit them? Is it advisable to fit them between the motor and the ESC, the battery and the ESC or what? I need to make the best use of these things. I do not have a problem soldering as I did 22 years as an electronics technician in the RAF but do need help with other things. I would rather find that I have made a mistake before doing something not after. I have read that some people say 'I use them everywhere' but is that right? Just one more thing, how do you know if you have bought pucker gen Deans and not knock offs?

Thanks

Brian
Old 09-13-2008, 01:06 PM
offtom
Megans Servant

Usually they're used to connect the battery to the ESC.

Difference between the real deans and knockoffs that I've used is usually the plastic used in manufacturing them. You really can tell a difference. The deans stands up to the heat of soldering much better.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Here is aquote from Mr. Baggins: "You can also plug the mating Deans connector in during soldering to help maintain alignment". Good advice.

Run a search for "deans dummy" on the site. You will learn about all that there is to know about them!

As for the "dummy" part, I do not mean the solderer, I am refering to using a spare plug to help out with installing.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:03 PM
max2112
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by meddyliol View Post
I have just bought seven Deans connectors as everyone raves about them but where are the best places to fit them? Is it advisable to fit them between the motor and the ESC, the battery and the ESC or what? I need to make the best use of these things. I do not have a problem soldering as I did 22 years as an electronics technician in the RAF but do need help with other things. I would rather find that I have made a mistake before doing something not after. I have read that some people say 'I use them everywhere' but is that right? Just one more thing, how do you know if you have bought pucker gen Deans and not knock offs?

Thanks

Brian
Brian,
The most common use of the connectors is to hook your battery up to the electronic speed control (ESC).
**SAFETY** It's best to put the female connector on your battery. That way there are no metal tabs to short out accidentally in a tool box or back pocket!
Good luck and keep us posted!
Old 09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Originally Posted by birdDog View Post
Here is aquote from Mr. Baggins: "You can also plug the mating Deans connector in during soldering to help maintain alignment". Good advice.
The jury seems to be out on that one. Plenty of people insisting that this is a bad idea.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
Rodneh

Yes, female on battery, male on ESC. The secret to getting good solder joints on the Dean's Ultra plugs (there are several different sized Dean's connectors) is to use a large enough soldering iron. Now a skilled solderer might get by with a 25 watt or less gun or iron but larger is generally better. First make sure everything is absolutely clean, then flux and tin the connectors, flux and tin the wire then just lay the tinned wire against the tinned connector, apply heat and VIOLA a good joint without any additional solder. I prefer at least a 40 watt (I use a 60 or 100 watt) iron with some mass to the tip else the tip will not transfer enough heat without cooling off. Use a jig to hold the connector and wire together when soldering them together so no movement takes place between the two while the joint cools. Do not forget to slip the thermofit over the wire before joining it to the connector (of course I have never done that). Do not try to make a good joint without that external flux, especially if you are not skilled in soldering. Do not use acid core solder or acid flux, use rosin flux and/or rosin core solder.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
meddyliol

This must be the best forum out there, I am always guaranteed an
answer(s) to my questions no matter how stupid they are.

Cheers

Brian
Old 09-13-2008, 08:23 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by meddyliol View Post
This must be the best forum out there, I am always guaranteed an
answer(s) to my questions no matter how stupid they are.

Cheers

Brian
Brian,

The only stupid question is the unasked question. (Though some folks may wish to make you think otherwise.)
Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Dorsal
If it Flies, I love it!

No, some questions are genuinely stupid - that just didn't happen to be one of them!
Old 09-14-2008, 12:27 AM
jkaven

I have both real deans, knock offs from dealxtreme and knock offs on my Gforce lipos. I've never had an issue with the knock offs. I tin both connector and wire before soldering both with the help of a third hand. I use lead solder. Lead free doesn't flow as nicely for me and requires a hotter temperature. I use a temperature controlled soldering station with digital readout, to make life easier.

If a connector falls out of alignment I'd wager that heat was applied for too long causing the plastic to soften.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:49 AM
groundrushesup
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
Yes, female on battery, male on ESC. The secret to getting good solder joints on the Dean's Ultra plugs (there are several different sized Dean's connectors) is to use a large enough soldering iron. Now a skilled solderer might get by with a 25 watt or less gun or iron but larger is generally better. First make sure everything is absolutely clean, then flux and tin the connectors, flux and tin the wire then just lay the tinned wire against the tinned connector, apply heat and VIOLA a good joint without any additional solder. I prefer at least a 40 watt (I use a 60 or 100 watt) iron with some mass to the tip else the tip will not transfer enough heat without cooling off. Use a jig to hold the connector and wire together when soldering them together so no movement takes place between the two while the joint cools. Do not forget to slip the thermofit over the wire before joining it to the connector (of course I have never done that). Do not try to make a good joint without that external flux, especially if you are not skilled in soldering. Do not use acid core solder or acid flux, use rosin flux and/or rosin core solder.

I've found it also helps to tin not just the working side of the deans terminal, but the sides as well. Once the solder is at temp, give the edges a little touch and bang, you're in business.

Good iron for beginners --> Saw it at Home Depot for 15 bucks.

Yers in Bub-ness,
GRU