Some advices - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Some advices

Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM
Paco17

Post Some advices

Hi guys, i finally decided to become a member of the best hobby in the world .Since i was a little kid i loved airplanes and 1 month ago i bought a 50cm wingspan WL toys 3Ch RC Cessna made in EPO .I started teaching myself flying watching videos on YouTube and reading articles on internet.I started handlaunching the plane , doing little landings and 3 days ago i finally took off and flew in the big sky. My dream si to fly the mighty 1875mm B17 that i found on hobbyking It has a big wingspan and in my oppinion you need a lot of experience and skills to fly it .Guys you have a lot of experience so please can you give me some advices and tips ? Is my training a good ? Where i live i can't go at a flying field because it's too far away and the selfteaching is the only option .So If you know some training exercices please can you sher them to me ? At the moment I'm working on the finall aproach and landing. And my last question si how many experience am i going to need to fly the B17 . Thank you for all .

Bye

Return to Newcomers

Quick Reply

Previous Thread | Next Thread

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 5 (1 members and 4 guests)
Paco17

About Us | Advertising | Calendar | Contact Us | Forums | Home | Rules | Sponsors | Swag | Terms of Service | Recent Photos
All Flyinggiants.com content copyright 2006 - 2016 by RCGroups.com, LLC except where otherwise indicated. The FlyingGiants.com logo is a trademark of RCGroups.com, LLC. Please report any misuse of our trademarks or copyright violations using the contact form.
Desktop ViewBack to Top
Old 09-04-2016, 11:02 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

The best advice it to keep practicing. Before moving on to more advanced models you would want to be totally comfortable with Cessna being able to fly well controlled circuits and figure eights in both directions, plus accurate and consistent landing with with both left and right hand approaches.

Bigger planes as a general rule are easier to fly but they are also easier to damage and more expensive to repair/replace if you get it wrong.
Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 PM
ron_van_sommeren
homo ludens modelisticus

Some well-structured reading and handy e-tools for rainy/windy days. Will save you, and us , a lot of questions. Notably the 'what went wrong?' kind of questions
Will also prevent you from burning up several controllers and/or motors and/or battery:
E-flight primer and tools

And please, do your RC equipment, wallet, ego, battery, controller, motor, house/garage/car a big favour ... get a watt-meter. It will more than pay for itself, will save you at least one fried motor and one fried controller. Will also help you finding the best setup.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:01 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

one word.......Simulator!!! Realflight 7 is a good one.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:46 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

As others have lead to, experience, experience, experience.

When you can fly the plane, and not have it flying you, and you are comfortable doing so, then it's probably time to move on to something a little more difficult, like a 4 channel plane.

Word when you start getting ready to fly the 17, it will be a different bird. It's going to be a lumbering beast in the air. It's a bomber, not a fighter, fly it like it should be flown.

Best of luck!
Old 09-05-2016, 03:57 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
one word.......Simulator!!! Realflight 7 is a good one.
+1 in getting a sim. Warbirds can be tricky. Easy to stall. Get Realflight or Phoenix sim. You can find used ones
Might think about an Eflight T-28 as a good second plane after you have mastered the Cessna. Then you will at least have experience with a low wing.
The B-17 won't be too difficult to fly if you know what to expect. But yi're introducing some added complexity with flaps and retracts.

Have fun and welcome to the addiction.

Hawk
Old 09-05-2016, 09:12 AM
Paco17

Thank you for your usefull advices guys .In a few days i will purchase a flight simulator and i will start flying .And 1 more think .What do you think of the SBD dauntless from freewing ? Is it good for a second plane ? I saw some videos on YouTube and this beautifull bird flyes very Well. What do you think about it ? Thank you again for all.

Bye
Old 09-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

In my humble opinion, my favorite plane for cutting up the sky and trying new types of flying is an EPP 3D stunt plane. They bounce very well and take a lot of abuse, you can fix EPP with regular CA glue, you don't need the expensive foam type. Most damages can be fixed at the field, new prop and you are ready to go.

My favorite plane of this type is the Hobbyking Reaktor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Search=reaktor

I fly mine with a Hobbyking NTM motor, I know it is a much bigger motor than it calls for, but I didn't like the low power of that one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_286w.html

With this motor, I move the tail servos back to the rear of the fuse, for balance.

I use this battery
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Lipo_Pack.html

4 decent 9 gram servos and a speed control, and you are good for a lot of fun. I don't bother with the landing gear, I fly outside and those wheels won't roll in grass.

Even my best friend who is a VERY good 3D flyer likes this plane, and flys it every time he can.

On high rates the roll rate is CRAZY! , yet reduce the travels and it flys very tame.

When you get were you can fly this plane comfortably without crashing for 20+ flights, then you are ready to advance. It is very tempting to get a slick new plane, right after something like your cub, I understand, I re-kited several planes learning that myself. but they fly totally different than the cub, and you might not be ready for that. The Reaktor simply goes where you point it, and will teach you how to fly with a lower chance of destruction.

I want the B-17 myself, but I am holding off until I get my flying mojo back.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:32 PM
Vic Z

Originally Posted by Paco17 View Post
Thank you for your usefull advices guys .In a few days i will purchase a flight simulator and i will start flying .And 1 more think .What do you think of the SBD dauntless from freewing ? Is it good for a second plane ? I saw some videos on YouTube and this beautifull bird flyes very Well. What do you think about it ? Thank you again for all.

Bye
Dahawk gave out some great advise. The T28 was my second plane, and I am completely happy that I chose it. Easy to fly, very forgiving, quite capable, and easy to upgrade when you are ready.
I have no experience with the Dauntless, but I do know that you are adding allot of moving parts to the mix with that plane. Not only will there be more to flying it, but more to repair when you crash. And you will. We all do.
My opinion would be that ailerons would be enough to add to the mix, and with the T28 you are adding quite a bit of speed and maneuverabilty as is. Also the T28 is very easy to repair, parts are everywhere, and it loves glue
Best wishes,
Vic
Old 09-05-2016, 09:46 PM
Paco17

Thank you for all guys . I will follow your advices when i will choose my second plane. Thanks aga in . Best regards.
Old 09-06-2016, 02:39 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Dauntless is indeed nice but if you read the reviews a nose over queen. T-28.
Old 12-07-2016, 08:46 AM
GC986

Thanks for all the advice appreciate it
Old 12-20-2016, 10:34 PM
zoltron55

join a club you will learn from others mistakes. plus you might be able to fly other planes before you bye them. the knowledge the other club members is priceless + they are moer than happy to help a new guy get started