Finally finished the Maxford Jenny. - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Finally finished the Maxford Jenny.

Old 08-29-2016, 01:13 AM
abborgogna

Default Finally finished the Maxford Jenny.

Yes it is done and it looks very good for an ARF. Getting this plane from the box to ready to fly has been a nightmare! The misfitting parts aside, the major headache centered on the fact that Maxford changed the design of the wing and provided no paperwork to support the change. Maxford went from a solid tip to tip wing to a take apart wing, but every picture in the instruction showed the original Version 1 wing. There is a mention of a Version 2 wing but that's where it ended. I was left to figure out how to put it together. Here is where I take some blame, there were two approximately 6" rods that were to be used for plugging the upper and lower wings together. Unfortunately they were down at the bottom of the box and completely out of sight on my kit. There was no mention of these rods in the instructions and my wings sagged because they were missing in my build. Now I have designed and built enough model airplanes over the last 60 years that something in my head should have lit up that there were parts missing in the Version 2 design. I did send an email to Maxford and never did get a response from them. By the time I figured out what the problem was I had taken the action of gluing the top wing parts together into a single unit. This made it impossible to install the plugs. So, for the bottom wing I came up with a kludge that installed a wing to wing brace that I believe to be at least as strong as the original design. But there is nothing I can do for the upper wing at this point. So come Tuesday I will fly the plane for the first time, and fly it just like the trainer the U.S. used it for in the first World War. In short fly it scale. Oh well, we shall see what we shall see!
Old 08-30-2016, 04:59 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Best of luck! That looks like a beautiful plane (but, sadly, way outside of my budget.)
Old 08-30-2016, 07:12 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

So will that be flying like a first timer behind the controls or one with a competent pilot?
I imagine a first timer would put a serious workout on the plane.

Maybe a tip, at least what I always do. Pull every part/piece out of the box and lay them out on the build table. Then I do a "dry fit" matching parts/pieces to each main part, while looking at the destructions. If like in your case I end up with extra parts, I then start looking for what was missing in the destructions.

I found that out when I built my first 90" P-38. There were 4 dowel pins that were to connect the front of the booms to the wing. No mention in the destructions of this.
Would have been a really short flight if I hadn't figured out what was going on.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:34 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Good fortune Sir! It's a shame that a great kit maker like Maxford has lost its bearings so much that it doesn't supply adequate instructions. I've always loved the Jenny and wish you a lot of success with yours.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:16 PM
abborgogna

As far as being a competent pilot, that's a very subjective question. I have been flying model airplanes for 60 years, my first R/C plane was an Esquire with an Orbit single channel radio with a Babcock escapement. So I am not exactly new to this hobby, I love biplanes and this is the second Maxford Jenny I have owned. The first was the 38" version. I look at this way, the wings are straight, the CG is dead on according to the instructions and I have an abundance of power. As long as the wings hold together there should be no problem, I'm still stewing over that issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jenny 1.jpg (89.6 KB, 340 views)
Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 AM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

You might want to avoid high speed dives for the first couple of flights.

I'm kinda amazed that there aren't more Jenny kits / ARFs / etc. available.
Old 08-31-2016, 02:19 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Originally Posted by abborgogna View Post
So come Tuesday I will fly the plane for the first time, and fly it just like the trainer the U.S. used it for in the first World War. In short fly it scale. Oh well, we shall see what we shall see!
Oh heavens, I wasn't referring to your skills, I was referring to the above.
aka "fly it like a trainer". My thought was would it be a first time pilot in the Jenny or one with some time under his belt. As in, plane all over the place with the rookie at the controls, or flown with the acquired skills of a longer term pilot.

Anywho, hope it works out well for you.

mclarkson, why not more Jennys? Probably because of what it is. Seems folks gotta have a warbird or jet or such, rather than some slow easy flying bipe. If they want a bipe, it's going to be something like a Spad or Camel or Fokker, something that was flown around like a crazy person was behind the stick. And they had guns too.
How many WWI bomber kits are there? Something different but no demand for them.

If there isn't a demand for it, the companies aren't going to produce them.
Kinda like airliners. Funny on that one, because you see a ton of scratch builts being made due to the lack of kits. Of course a lot more cost to produce/sell a liner, it takes a heck of a lot more to make a nice one and equip it.

Something else on the Jenny. Folks forget what all it did, other than training WWI aces. Could be part of why you don't see em. Folks forget they hauled the mail, were used in acrobatic routines/wing walkers, and occasionally crashed into things, on purpose.

I guess unless you are a Kamikaze Ace like me, there isn't a big demand for planes you want to crash.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:13 PM
abborgogna

Glacier Girl, no problem and I intend to do exactly what you suggested. I will fly it gently and avoid over stressing the wings. I think it will be fine, I will find out day after tomorrow. I had planned to fly it on Tuesday, but family matters put that on hold so Friday will be the day.

Thanks everybody for your input, I do appreciate what you all have to say.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Looking good. Look forward to hearing the flight report. have fun!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:38 PM
abborgogna

So here is how it went this morning. Took two four cell 1800 mha batteries and put up two flights. The take off flying and landing were a piece of cake. It flies like the trainer it was designed to be all those years ago. But the second flight was not without problems. As I said before the landing was smooth and easy, to my surprise I was unable to taxi back to the where I was standing. I walked out and noticed the plane was missing the left wheel, no problem I just didn't tighten the collet enough. No, that was not the problem the wire that made up the axial had snapped off. No joke, the Chinese metal was so poor that it made a clean break. Next I noticed that the motor was hanging down in the cowling. When I got home I removed the cowling and the glue joints that held the motor box to the back plate that bolted to the firewall had separated. The whole unit was put together with thin CA glue and not very much.

Now I can already read your mind, Andy landed harder than he thought am I right? I asked myself the same question, but it really looked like a good landing to me. So I asked my friend Larry who was my spotter and flight timer for the two fights I made today what he thought of the landing. He said it was smooth and gentle and at least as good as the first. For what it's worth Larry is a graduate of MIT and real rocket scientist, a person not given to sugar coating problems. Anyway the motor is remounted with epoxy and additional reinforcement and I am still trying to come up with a easy fix for the landing gear.

The plane flew well, but given the building problems and poor quality of the landing gear and motor box I cannot recommend this plane. Given the cost it should have been a much better build and the quality of the plane should have been better. But it does look very good and it flies very scale like so it's your call if you want one.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Well bummer.

I had the same issue with my second one on the motor mount but I got it used and noticed it before the first flight by me. Fixed it before flying it. I don't know if it was that poor from the factory or if had been landed hard to knock it loose. The gear looks sturdy enough and has held up ok for at least the few flights I have on it. Mine has the one piece wing though so I wonder if they changed the gear along with the wing.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:32 PM
abborgogna

I think the design of the motor mount box is OK, they just need to use the right glue and the right amount of glue. I was giving it some thought this morning and I really don't think mine came loose during the landing. We are flying on a new runway and there are some weeds growing on it. My plane got hooked up in the weeds after the landing and I gunned the motor to get out. I think that's when the glue joints let go. It may also have been the time the axial let go if that axial was hooked in the weeds. I am sure it was already severely cracked from the factory, it just took a little stress on it to break it. I am glad your Jenny is doing well, hopefully mine will continue to fly well. All the minor issues have been fixed so I am hoping for the best.
Old 09-05-2016, 03:29 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Well darn, I had hoped for a flawless flight for you. Oh well, at least it was minor and no damage to the plane. Hopefully that's it for teething problems for you.
Old 09-05-2016, 04:46 AM
abborgogna

Actually Glacier Girl the flights themselves were near flawless. The normal trim adjustments and then fun. Thanks for your comment, and we shall see what we shall see. Had a good time today out at the pond flying off water. If you haven't already tried it give it a try sometime.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:46 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Sorry to hear about the quality problems, especially for the price.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:54 AM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Oh I've got a couple of sea planes in the hangar.
Even got this thing I cobbled together to retrieve any non planned or shall we say less than perfect landings. Got a harpoon treble hook for catching planes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
airplane water rescue.jpeg (87.9 KB, 212 views)
Old 09-06-2016, 05:21 AM
abborgogna

Now that's just plain cool Girl! We have a guy with a tug boat to go out and retrieve our "less that perfect landings". It's funny the guy with the tug boat didn't show up on Sunday and we had more people than usual, but not a single dunk in the pond. Maybe everybody flew with just a little more care knowing there was no help to be had.

I see from you tag that you live in Florida, I hope you came through this storm OK. It's been a tough year for weather through out this country. Except here in California where we could use all the rain we could get, and we can't even steal it. Anyway hope you did OK.