Radio shack rant! - Page 2 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Radio shack rant!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
tr4252

Harbor Freight is OK, I go there a lot. One thing about their machine tools, though. I consider them kits. I've bought 2 band saws, a lathe, a manual vertical mill, compressor, welding torch, a belt sander, and lots of hand tools.

One band saw was adjusted so badly I had to take it apart and "blueprint" it.

The other band saw's motor burned out within a week; they offered to replace the whole saw, but wouldn't just give me a new motor. I put in an old 1/2 horse G.E. motor I had lying around; it's been OK for about 6 or 7 years.

The vertical mill's x axis siezed up after a very short time, I took it apart and found out it hadn't been greased and was full of chips.

The belt sander was worthless, couldn't give it away.

Lathe, torch kit, and compressor were OK.

I figure for the price, the machines were worth a little work. Hand tools are generally good.

Tom
Old 01-10-2014, 10:26 PM
mclarkson
Super Contributor

Yeah. The Ace Hardware I go to provides amazing service and, despite being 1/50th the size of the nearby Lowe's, seems to stock nearly as much stuff.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:01 PM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by mclarkson View Post
Yeah. The Ace Hardware I go to provides amazing service and, despite being 1/50th the size of the nearby Lowe's, seems to stock nearly as much stuff.

Our Ace Hadware is the same soon as you walk through the door someone is asking if you need help finding something. Love the nut and bolt selection they keep it stocked with the small stuff I need for the hobby.

I won't go to RS unless I am desperate, and that is normally for solder.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:50 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
Harbor Freight is OK, I go there a lot. One thing about their machine tools, though. I consider them kits. I've bought 2 band saws, a lathe, a manual vertical mill, compressor, welding torch, a belt sander, and lots of hand tools.

One band saw was adjusted so badly I had to take it apart and "blueprint" it.

The other band saw's motor burned out within a week; they offered to replace the whole saw, but wouldn't just give me a new motor. I put in an old 1/2 horse G.E. motor I had lying around; it's been OK for about 6 or 7 years.

The vertical mill's x axis siezed up after a very short time, I took it apart and found out it hadn't been greased and was full of chips.

The belt sander was worthless, couldn't give it away.

Lathe, torch kit, and compressor were OK.

I figure for the price, the machines were worth a little work. Hand tools are generally good.

Tom
Yeah
I've got one of those 6.5 Hp Predator engines from Harbor Freight. It's got 150 hours running on it now, that $99 engine has been flawless.

Several club members were so impressed, they bought the same engine to update a couple of old motor bikes. These engines start on the first pull, and run flawlessly.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:56 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tr4252 View Post
Service sure isn't what it used to be.

About 5 years ago I had the urge to buy a BB gun, so I went to Wal Mart and got a nice one from the sporting goods dept. When I took it through the checkout, the girl got all puzzled and told me I needed some sort of permit. She didn't know what sort, just that she was sure I needed one. Called her supervisor, who also felt a permit was required. I showed them my pistol permit, but they must have thought a special BB gun permit was needed; still no go. I asked them to call the old coot in the Sporting Goods Dept., which they did. He straightened them out, I got to buy the weapon of mass tin can destruction, but walked away mad.

Tom
Brings back memories of shopping at our local Farm and Fleet store. (Similar to Home Depot and such)

To buy a pocket knife with a three inch blade, still in the welded shut plastic package that requires a tin snips to open, you have to have a sales clerk take it to the check out counter. Now, you can go to that cashier, pay for it, and take it home.

But, you can pick up a two bladed axe, or a screwdriver with a foot long blade, a wide variety of razor sharp box cutters, carpet cutters, or any number of much more deadly tools with no problem.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:36 AM
suresharp

In my country (Canada) the main supply store for all electric conectors and heat shrink of all sizes is electrical supply. This is the store that your prof electrician gets his supply (never from radio shack!) There are 3 or more of these stores in most city. AND they know what money looks like.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:57 AM
Dukepiles

i am far from being a professional and Canada. without driving an hour one way or ordering online the shack was my only option.
Old 01-11-2014, 09:38 PM
Beemerider

I too have bought a supply of heat shrink from HF. They sell a pack that has I think 6 different sizes up to 1" and each is 36" long. I believe it was around $5-$7 as I recall. Another good source is a local electrical supply where you can get pretty much what ever size you need. I bought a couple 36" length pieces of 1/2" for a few dollars.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:39 AM
Siberianhusky

It's still overpriced but not near as bad as Radio Shack - just about every auto parts store has heat shrink in the electrical section.
Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Originally Posted by Dukepiles View Post
first off its been years since i have shopped there. i needed some heat shrink tubing so i stopped by on my way home from work and i was shocked at the prices they try to charge for something simple as heat shrink and how clueless the employees are. they only had two choices a 7 piece assortment 6 inch in length for 6 bucks and a precut assortment 1 inch,30 pieces 17 bucks. so needless to say i scratched that purchase. started looking for some wire to connect the lights going in my cub. hardly any wire that i would be able to use and when i found some 20G wire i could use it was 8 bucks for a 10 ft roll. so i just walked away from that section and just decided to get some batteries needed around the house. went to pay for them and i had like nine dollars in 1.00 coins (from the change machine at work) and the lady at the register asked me what they were i replied they were dollar pieces. she replied they look like gold quarters i replied no mam they are not. she said i have never seen anything like these told me to hold on for a minute and took the coins in the back. i could hear her talking to the person and she asked him what they were and he told her. she then asked if they were real and asked if they could take them. i am standing there like what the no way this girl is that damn helpless. she came back out and finished the purchase. i have never had a simple trip to the store be so disappointing and dare i say informative i now know why people dont shop there and most of their stores are closing. i am still in shock

If you think that is bad, you wouldn't believe the number of people that have no clue where the start button is on there computer monitor or what there wi/fi ssid is. Yet these same people want to setup a wireless network. Most are doctors, lawyers and CEO's for major companies.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:29 PM
jeholliday

Have not been on here too much in the last couple of years until Chellie sent me a note. Seen this Radio Shack thread and decided I would give my last time in the store called Radio Shack Electronics Store. Was looking for sub C rechargeable batteries. Was told that there was no one making them anymore. So off to the Ebay and getting them cheaper than the non rechargeable ones at Wally World.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:20 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by jeholliday View Post
Have not been on here too much in the last couple of years until Chellie sent me a note. Seen this Radio Shack thread and decided I would give my last time in the store called Radio Shack Electronics Store. Was looking for sub C rechargeable batteries. Was told that there was no one making them anymore. So off to the Ebay and getting them cheaper than the non rechargeable ones at Wally World.
Strange

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2715646

(This is web only and way to many $$$$.)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:17 AM
road king 97
old hat

I can remember long ago when you walked into radio shack it was a manly store with tools and parts haging all over the walls .Now when you walk in its cheap kids toys and a phone selling station . If you can get to the back of the store through all that junk there is a 10ftX10ft of Home owner like stuff hanging on the walls there . They think they are getting more woman customers to buy from them but what they are realy doing is Ping off the guys like us. If they keep this up they will be a resale shop soon selling used baby car seats. joe
Old 01-18-2014, 01:14 AM
Murman
Dumb-Thumbin' since 2007

But the car seats would have flashing lights on them!
Old 01-18-2014, 10:49 AM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Wow, I am really lucky. There is a shop here called Willies Electronics, it is what RS used to be long ago. Wall to wall electronics, tools, parts. They even have small Heath type electronics kits for learning. So needless to say I haven't even been in a RS in a long while.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:13 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Oh man,

I remember the " Heath Kits'. Still make them ? Back in the early 60's , I watched my Dad build a Hi-FI . Lots of soldering. I remember the night he nearly soldered off his wedding ring. -LOL
Old 01-18-2014, 07:51 PM
road king 97
old hat

I built a kids Heath Kit radio when i was around 7 or 8 , found it last summer in my parents basement. My 10 year old asked what it was and i told him it was a gone era . There are a few eletrical shops around me just have not got off my lazy ars to find them. If i need any electrical parts i have saved a bunch over the years and can most times find it in my rc junk. joe
Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
tr4252

Now that you guys have mentioned kits, I recall a 12 watt or so stereo kit amp I've got up in the attic somewhere. It's a Science Fair brand sold by Radio Shack/Tandy in the 60's. Good quality little amp; I used it for years. It was easy to build, and has a nice walnut cabinet.

I recall they used to sell imported electric guitars and amps, too. How times have changed.

Tom
Old 01-18-2014, 09:28 PM
road king 97
old hat

Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
Oh man,

I remember the " Heath Kits'. Still make them ? Back in the early 60's , I watched my Dad build a Hi-FI . Lots of soldering. I remember the night he nearly soldered off his wedding ring. -LOL
Its not just the stuff they sell has changed its the people they hire to work there also. Its now some woman or young guys who know nothing of what you need . They use to have guys into electronics working there but now those people are working at higher end jobs for much more pay. joe
Old 01-19-2014, 01:15 AM
matiac
What, me worry?

I can remember when they actually sold RADIOS. Used to get all my C.B. stuff there, coax connectors, coax cable, just about everything I needed. Now if it's anything other than 75 ohm stuff, they don't have a clue what you're talking about. Our local Rat shack IS starting to sell servos, and some stuff R.C. related, but their big thing is still phones, LCD TV's and stuff like that...I go there for batteries...
Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 AM
Dukepiles

Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
It's still overpriced but not near as bad as Radio Shack - just about every auto parts store has heat shrink in the electrical section.

didn't even think about the auto parts store.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:02 PM
BroncoSquid
Workin on it...

Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Our local Rat shack IS starting to sell servos, and some stuff R.C. related,
True but the servos and other RC type stuff is for the ARDUINO electronic prototyping platform RS picked up. They use the servos for robots. Though, it dose open alot of possibilities.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arduino