WWI Era Discuss all your favorite WWI warbirds here!

Great Planes SPAD

Old 09-04-2011, 12:44 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Default Great Planes SPAD

Here is the latest build...all electronics from Heads Up RC....beautiful plane and relatively easy build! Motor is a Emax GT2215/12, 20 amp ESC (powerup), and 9g TP SG90 Sub Micro Servo. Just had to shave about 2 mm to get the Emax motor to fit! She is a beauty.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	SPAD.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	152555   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3008 (800x536).jpg
Views:	254
Size:	247.1 KB
ID:	152556   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3017 (800x536).jpg
Views:	213
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	152557  
Old 09-04-2011, 02:13 AM
wattman

Strange that you posted the Spad subject today , because TODAY was the day that I finally had my Spad flying great !
Its been a nerve racking experience for me trying to fly it since May of this year , oh I managed NOT to crash it , but it was always so nerve racking that I reached the point that I wanted to sell it . But its so good looking , and American markings , I kept trying to make changes to try and get it to fly for me . Kept adding weight , kept decreaseing throws and increaseing expo , and wishing it would fly better . Reached the magic point today , three full battery flights of nice half throttle flying and some mild aerobatics that I wanted to do , not like previous wild flights .
Its been a real upbeat and happy day for me and my Spad XIII
Its still not exatly easy , like my Electrifly SE5a , but much better now .
I retained the as built shine , so that I can see it better flying . I did the dead flat spray on my SE5a , and it dissappears at times against the trees , and is hard to see in low light conditions , for me .
Sorry but I did not weigh each lead piece that I added .

I sure hope that your Spad will fly as pretty as it looks

My Spad

Last edited by wattman; 09-04-2011 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

It is beautiful....it will be a long time until I get thecourage up to fly her! Congrats on your flying success today!
Old 09-04-2011, 03:45 PM
HobbyJumper

Gorgeous, both of them.

May I ask about the quality of the kits? I've read (a few albeit) on this forum some complaints about GP and poor quality control -- missing parts, bad glue joints, etc.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:31 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

BOTH very nice looking planes. FLYGUY! good luck on your maiden...and would you do me a favor? Stop showing the scenic backgrounds with mountains and perfect blue skies and green trees!!!!....don;t you have any ugly background shots? factories, schools, parking lots...

WATTMAN: Way to freakin hang in there and make her fly the way you want!
Thats hard to do sometimes.! Can you tell us your CG point measurement now that you added weight! Thanks! great job!
Old 09-04-2011, 05:05 PM
Nieuport Fly Guy

Originally Posted by HobbyJumper View Post
Gorgeous, both of them.

May I ask about the quality of the kits? I've read (a few albeit) on this forum some complaints about GP and poor quality control -- missing parts, bad glue joints, etc.
I thought that the quality of the kit was outstanding! No missing parts (in fact a few extra screws). Excellent instructions for assembly. I ordered motor, esc and servos from Heads Up RC...and had to do a little shaving to make them fit...but everything went together just fine. Really happy with the build. As far as a flight test...that will be a while...need to build up my confidence. Would buy from GP again. (Also Tower had a 3 mos pay...so was only like $36/mo)
Old 09-04-2011, 07:24 PM
wattman

I also thought the quality of the kit and how well it was thought out , and how it went together was very high quality and well done engineering and QC .

My Spad is built as per the manual with the spec Motor , servos , ESC , prop , all except my mod of useing a 1/8" piano wire axle with wheel collar retainers and a thin brass tube spacer between the LG legs over the axle , and thin brass tube wheel bushings , which holds up well for me on both of my Electrifly bipes .

The manual specs 2 1/8" CG , my Spad is just a hair under 2" CG , and a hair nose down at that 2" .
My Spad , without the battery , weighs 1 pound and 8.5 oz .
My SE5a from Electrifly without the battery , weighs 1 pound and 4.2 oz
both have the 1/8" axles .

Old 09-05-2011, 03:42 PM
HobbyJumper

I assume you're using a 11.1v 1300 30C Lipo battery ??

How long are your flight times?

Thanks...

Originally Posted by Nieuport Fly Guy View Post
...all electronics from Heads Up RC....Motor is a Emax GT2215/12, 20 amp ESC (powerup), and 9g TP SG90 Sub Micro Servo. .
Old 09-05-2011, 07:20 PM
wattman

In my Electrifly SE5a and Spad I use these batterys , GPMP0505 1300mah 25c 3s lipo , 4 oz in weight.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...0505&search=Go

I only buy my lipos from Electrifly or EFlite / Horizon Hobbies , and some Thunder Power , I have had really great service and years of use with their batterys .
I have some that I marked the dates on , like June of 2005 , and out of the 6 of these batteries , I have lost two , not a bad service life .
Thats some good prices on the Power Up batterys you linked to , thanks .

I know there are cheaper batterys , but they may not be better batterys .
Old 09-05-2011, 07:23 PM
HobbyJumper

Wow. That's good battery life. So how long do you set your timer for with these birds?

Originally Posted by wattman View Post
In my Electrifly SE5a and Spad I use these batterys , GPMP0505 1300mah 25c 3s lipo , 4 oz in weight.

I only buy my lipos from Electrifly or EFlite / Horizon Hobbies , and some Thunder Power , I have had really great service and years of use with their batterys .
I have some that I marked the dates on , like June of 2005 , and out of the 6 of these batteries , I have lost two , not a bad service life .

I know there are cheaper batterys , but they may not be better batterys .
Old 09-05-2011, 07:30 PM
wattman

I set my digital egg timer for 10 mins , and glance at it and land usually just before it times out .
I dislike the timer buzzer going off while trying to land or fly .
Old 09-06-2011, 01:44 AM
touche

My Spad went together very well. I was quite happy with how it turned out for my first plane in 5 years. As well, It flies very well hanging from the ceiling on a string in my den. Haven't got enough experience in yet to fly her and I'll be dammed if I'm shipping her splintered guts to you know who..just yet.
My big problem this winter is we're going to Bushnell Fla., and that is a 25 minute drive from Headuprc. Sure hope the wallet holds up.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:10 AM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Good luck when you decide to fly her. Don't blame you for waiting until you feel comfortable...and if you do crash (which you won't) I agree with you..do not send it to "you know who" he would probably turn it into a Panzer tank or the Efel Tower. Its scarey what that guy can do with parts!!
Old 09-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Nieuport Fly Guy

TM thanks for the advice...and I am still waiting to see what "you know who" does to my earlier crash parts!! (SE5a)...anyway...meanwhile I am working on a kit build from Mtn Models (EVA)...that is a fun build!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:43 PM
CarreraGTSCS

I ordered one of these SPAD's yesterday. Been enjoying the D. VII so much I just had to have the SPAD too. Can't wait to get her in the air!

Mike
Old 12-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

Except for hating every second of putting in the wing-strut screws I love mine. Good quality and well thought out. Besides flipping on about 50% of the time on perfect landings it flies great.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:46 PM
HobbyJumper

Doh!

One day. One day.

Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Been enjoying the D. VII so much...
Old 01-08-2012, 04:56 PM
wattman

Originally Posted by wattman View Post
Its been a nerve racking experience for me trying to fly it since May of this year , oh I managed NOT to crash it , but it was always so nerve racking that I reached the point that I wanted to sell it . But its so good looking , and American markings , I kept trying to make changes to try and get it to fly for me . Kept adding weight , kept decreaseing throws and increaseing expo , and wishing it would fly better . Reached the magic point today , three full battery flights of nice half throttle flying and some mild aerobatics that I wanted to do , not like previous wild flights .
Its been a real upbeat and happy day for me and my Spad XIII
Its still not exatly easy , like my Electrifly SE5a , but much better now .
I retained the as built shine , so that I can see it better flying . I did the dead flat spray on my SE5a , and it dissappears at times against the trees , and is hard to see in low light conditions , for me .
Sorry but I did not weigh each lead piece that I added .

I sure hope that your Spad will fly as pretty as it looks

My Spad

Well my spad is NO MORE , went in full speed through tree branches ,
wow is it in pieces , well the wings are in many splintered pieces , the fuselage damaged but better than the wings .
I could just never get at ease flying it
Yesterday in the wind , it got a bit far for my eyesight to see well , and low , and in it went .
I told the other flyer there , that I was going to learn to fly it well or crash it and be done with it , sometimes words you speak come back home to roost .

SO it will be givin to the home for crashed and unwanted airplanes , operated by Don

So Don if you will , the next time you are around here please stop and pick it up .
Old 01-08-2012, 05:08 PM
barmonkey

Sorry about the mishap...if Don doesn't want it I am willing to give a Spad a second chance
Old 01-08-2012, 08:29 PM
wattman

Sure , if Don doen't want it , its yours
I already removed the motor , esc , servos , receiver , etc .
Old 01-09-2012, 07:13 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

The buzzard is circling.

Now you don't think I am going to turn a wreaked SPAD down do you? LOL I am going to have to look through my books and find a new paint scheme for it that no one else has.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:02 PM
TM4197
Dope&Fabric

Don

Always liked the bottom two. Unique markings!

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=0&FORM=IDFRIR
Old 01-11-2012, 02:20 AM
touche

My condolences in your loss and Degreens gain..At least I can sleep now knowing the vultures have moved off.
I had bought a Hobbico Sensei and was prepared to get some lessons down here in Fla. The Sensei has had other ideas and blown its ESC on set up. A known issue with these planes. Once replaced I will be getting airborne and then..wait I can see the vultures circling.
I am sure it will look very nice once Don has worked it over.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
degreen60
Flying Fish

Originally Posted by touche View Post
My condolences in your loss and Degreens gain..At least I can sleep now knowing the vultures have moved off.
I had bought a Hobbico Sensei and was prepared to get some lessons down here in Fla. The Sensei has had other ideas and blown its ESC on set up. A known issue with these planes. Once replaced I will be getting airborne and then..wait I can see the vultures circling.
I am sure it will look very nice once Don has worked it over.
Now what WWI plane can I make from a wreaked Sensei, HMMMMMM, maybe turn the fuselage over, some sanding, wing mounted on the bottom. Do I see a Junkers in that plane? Going to have to send him one of my hexed pilots. LOL
Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 PM
barmonkey

Vultures?

Quick Reply: Great Planes SPAD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15270 seconds with 18 queries