Lookie at who's looking now... - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Lookie at who's looking now...

Old 08-21-2011, 02:50 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi
If such an attempted act of terrorism with an rc vehicle happened
It wouldnt matter if it failed or succeeds
The act itself would foster fear in the public and govt
Any rc vehicles that you would see after that would be viewed as suspious as you just woudnt know whoes at the controls and what their purpose and agenda is
Then the Govt would have no recourse but to step in
Just my 2 cents
Take care
Yours Hank
Terrorists used rental trucks to take down a federal building. Yet you can still walk into a moving truck rental shop with minimal fuss, and off you go.

Commercial airlines were taken over with box cutters, and the public at best, makes fun of the security measures in place, at worst, become outraged.

The government is more apt to such panic, than the actual public.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:39 AM
MaddSkillz

Paranoia breeds suspicion breeds crack down breeds loss of liberty.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Kinda what is going on right here
Old 08-21-2011, 07:47 PM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Originally Posted by Mr. Baggins View Post
Kinda what is going on right here
Hi
I dont agree
I see us as having a discusion on an issue that could have an impact on this fine hobby that we all care deeply about
Take care
Yours Hank
Old 08-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

Noted and I appreciate your position
Old 08-21-2011, 09:09 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I agree with Hank. Everything we've said here is speculating. Mostly it's been done in good humor. Thanks everybody! Wattflyer is a great place.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:03 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Toy airplanes, right?
Old 08-22-2011, 02:45 AM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

This year at Toledo I was in line behind a man from the Department of Defense....So they are interested in us, or at least our hobby. By doing things like this we are giving them ammunition so to speak to do whatever they want.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:00 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I just don't see this application of the technology to be worthy of the alarm that's being expressed here.

I see this as less applicable to nefarious purposes than the systems that allow long range, or extreme heights.

So, if this use of FPV is worthy of such concern, ALL FPV should be seen as a threat by rc modelers.

The terrorists are winning. We're scared of our own government, because we think they might think we can't be trusted with toys.
Old 08-22-2011, 03:25 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I just don't see this application of the technology to be worthy of the alarm that's being expressed here.

I see this as less applicable to nefarious purposes than the systems that allow long range, or extreme heights.

So, if this use of FPV is worthy of such concern, ALL FPV should be seen as a threat by rc modelers.

The terrorists are winning. We're scared of our own government, because we think they might think we can't be trusted with toys.
Guess that might be the issue here. All it takes is one terrorist to do something with this, and it could affect us all.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Again, they do what they're good at. RC is not in that group of activities.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:11 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

It's too late. They didn't do anything with this, and it's affecting us.

The FPV bomb drop is a great idea. It looks like fun, it would make a great competition of skill for the contestants, and it would be fun for the spectators too.

But instead of everyone saying how cool this was, there's a panic. People saying that this shouldn't have been done, because of the terrorists.

If someone had done this 12 years ago, there would be none of this antagonistic commentary. I believe it would have been all positive. Don't blame the flite test guys, it's the people saying that this shouldn't be done, that are doing the terrorists work for them.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:19 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Good point Wilbur
Old 08-22-2011, 04:38 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

It's too late. They didn't do anything with this, and it's affecting us.

The FPV bomb drop is a great idea. It looks like fun, it would make a great competition of skill for the contestants, and it would be fun for the spectators too.

But instead of everyone saying how cool this was, there's a panic. People saying that this shouldn't have been done, because of the terrorists.

If someone had done this 12 years ago, there would be none of this antagonistic commentary. I believe it would have been all positive. Don't blame the flite test guys, it's the people saying that this shouldn't be done, that are doing the terrorists work for them.
I agree the FPV bomb was an interesting idea and I like to see folks "think out of the box" and bring in new ideas however I don't think there is a panic but more a concern that one should be more vigilant.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:52 AM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Vigilant how?

I could understand if they were behaving in an unsafe manner. Dropping the bomb into a group of people, trying to get someone to catch it, or maybe aiming for a moving car.

But they made a nerf toy with a camera. They then put a new twist on an existing contest activity. Not only in RC but full scale. I've been to events where they play with trying to hit a target with a flour bomb, from full scale airplanes. "They" could much more easily do real damage with this technique, than with RC. Should we tell them to stop too?

If we restrict all of our activities because we might scare someone who is already jumping at shadows, then we've given up our rights without a fight. That doesn't seem very American to me.
Old 08-22-2011, 05:31 AM
tr4252

I don't think the original topic has much to do with the nerf bomb issue, but is more about the fact that the government is taking an interest in our hobby, to evaluate the possibility that RC technology could be of use to terrorists or other criminals.

I think we should also realize that technology has been evolving in both the RC hobby, and military applications, such as unmanned aircraft, and that they have more in common now, than say, 20 years ago.

Tom
Old 08-22-2011, 05:32 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

Vigilant how?

I could understand if they were behaving in an unsafe manner. Dropping the bomb into a group of people, trying to get someone to catch it, or maybe aiming for a moving car.

But they made a nerf toy with a camera. They then put a new twist on an existing contest activity. Not only in RC but full scale. I've been to events where they play with trying to hit a target with a flour bomb, from full scale airplanes. "They" could much more easily do real damage with this technique, than with RC. Should we tell them to stop too?

If we restrict all of our activities because we might scare someone who is already jumping at shadows, then we've given up our rights without a fight. That doesn't seem very American to me.
I agree. I am not debating whether or not the bomb was a good or a bad idea clearly to me it was all in good fun but I think it does bring to light the possibility of how it could be used for destructive purposes. I do believe it is very unlikely. Like I have mentioned before I think it more likely they would want receivers and even possibily servos to be used in a trigger type device rather than a RC plane and or car. I think folks should be vigilant and look for something out of the ordinary not just in RC but in their daily lives as well. I hope I am not rambling here
Old 08-22-2011, 08:37 AM
shadow74

My brothers favorite quote:

"If guns kill people, then I am going to start blaming spelling errors on my pencil"

Eric
Old 08-22-2011, 12:02 PM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

The DoD is definitely interested in our hobby and so is NASA. My job is all about the autonomous remotely piloted vehicles.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:37 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Agreed Bill. I live near a large airforce base. One of the clubs I've belonged to uses one of their old runways as a club field. I know for a fact, in the past, that just down the road from our field location, they've held contests for various RC aircraft. These have been expected to do various things, from pilot skill courses, to ones dependent on autonomous flight. As I understood it, the winners were awarded contracts to fund the projects they presented.

The hobbyist is too valuable a resource to them, to allow us to all be shut down.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

And in addition to radio control, the FBI is also just as interested in the self storage business. What do they think? One of the storage units is going to detach itself from the building and attack someone? No, they are just covering all the bases. And to be fair, a self storage/truck rental business was used in the first attack of the World Trade Center.

I'm glad they are interested in RC, self storage, truck rentals, aircraft charter, car rentals, who knows what other businesses are receiving the same treatment that the RC community is. That is a sign of reasonable, non-panicked vigilance. I don't look for any unreasonable moves on law enforcement's part at all.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:56 PM
earthsciteach

Well, said Robbins. (sure you don't want to run for congress? ha ha)
Old 08-22-2011, 03:55 PM
MaddSkillz

Our government is interested in anything that could be used against them during revolt.

That's pretty much the bottom line. The "terrorist" angle allows them to do as they please.
Old 08-23-2011, 12:03 AM
Mr. Baggins
Goofball

What FT did with the Guided Bomb video was without any malicious intent and IMO does not constitute any threat whatsoever. The only problem I have with any of this discussion is that some have indicated that it may be otherwise, up to and including personal insults. When you go there you have lost your argument and put on display, your lack of decorum and lost favor in my book.