A. R. Drone technology extending to RC? - Page 3 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

A. R. Drone technology extending to RC?

Old 07-23-2011, 11:45 PM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
I noticed that Brookstone wrote their own ad copy, and pretty good stuff it was compared to the lame videos on You Tube. And they claim the product as an exclusive! I hope that isn't another word for "closeout."

Maybe Brookstone can make a difference in the destiny of the product. I can't wait until kenchiroalpha gets his and lets us in on how it flies and what the guts look like! I'm especially interested in the FPV system. If it works as well as it appears, how do they sell it for $299.99? The FPV system alone should approach that.
I don't understand what you're getting at here. Brookstone has sold it since it's release. I don't think any product comes onto the market as a closeout. Brookstone has been there with this product since the beginning, which means your idea of this products "destiny" has been unfounded since the beginning. Please stop posting uninformed opinions about the AR drone as facts, you've been doing that the entire thread.
Old 07-23-2011, 11:47 PM
CrimzonRider
Fastest PropHead Crasher

You have got to be kidding me!!!! unsubscribed.......
Old 07-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

I don't know. I thought I knew what "exclusive" means: only one place sells the product. But I must be uninformed!

Rereading my "offensive" post it looks like I was expressing support for and curiosity about the product. I wasn't aware that was grounds to be body slammed. Is this Wattflyer?

I'm outta here until Hank posts his review. Hope he likes the product.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:15 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by CrimzonRider View Post
The other day I found these, some of which are under $100 bucks. I have no knowledge of what would work or what all you would need for FPV, but it is on a rc a/c web site....??

http://www.r2hobbies.com/eng/products.php?cat=112

have a good one
cr

but yeah RR using Iphone tech and two camera and a quadcopter.....gets expensive quickly
Just wonder if that 2.4 Ghz on board transmitter on your model a foot or so away from your models 2.4 Ghz receiver would have any effect on range???

I'd be inclined to carefully check this out rather carefully before flying the model.

Any other wattflyer readers have experience with this?
Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

You have got to be kidding me!!!! unsubscribed.......
I don't know. I thought I knew what "exclusive" means: only one place sells the product. But I must be uninformed!

Rereading my "offensive" post it looks like I was expressing support for and curiosity about the product. I wasn't aware that was grounds to be body slammed. Is this Wattflyer?

I'm outta here until Hank posts his review. Hope he likes the product.
Hi
Lets all step back take a deep breath and get back to discussing the matter at hand
No reason to get all riled up over this
Take care dear friends
Yours Hank
Old 07-24-2011, 02:24 AM
earthsciteach

Agreed Hank. I am beginning to feel like I should only lurk on this site because I don't feel like I have posted too many things, but too many of those that I have, have degenerated into angst.

We all have our opinions. This is only a forum about a hobby. Let's all just relax a bit!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:35 PM
Azarr
Electric Junkie

FWIW, I've actually flown the Parrot AR Drone, Luke's RC has one set up and had it at both the JR Indoor Fly and the Keystone Electric Indoor Fly. There's also one flying at an indoor event I often go to in Anderson IN.

The technology involved is amazing. It can self level, has not one, but two cameras etc. For the $300 price tag it truly is an amazing vehicle. As far as marketing goes, I think they did it the correct way. The RC market is very small compared to the computer gaming world and even smaller if you break it down to heli's or multi-rotors.

I've flown Luke's with both my Iphone and Ipad and really didn't care for either, but then I'm not really a gamer and the controls seemed counter intuitive to me. There are some modelers flying them with a standard transmitter and the mods to do that are on the multi-rotor forum on RCG.

Personally I felt that I had a good grasp of controlling it with only a few short flights and wanted something more maneuverable. I was afraid that since I fly mostly 3D stuff that I would be bored with it quickly and in the end I opted for a witespy quad.

Azarr
Old 07-24-2011, 11:12 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kyleservicetech View Post
Just wonder if that 2.4 Ghz on board transmitter on your model a foot or so away from your models 2.4 Ghz receiver would have any effect on range???

I'd be inclined to carefully check this out rather carefully before flying the model.

Any other wattflyer readers have experience with this?
yes, it does not play well. RC link will work but video is wasted. RC link is also reduced greatly.

2.4 Ghz RC link can work on other video freqs like 1.3 Ghz or 900 Mhz. If you want to stay with 2.4 for the RC link then a 1 watt booster is in order. I've seen 5 miles distance with it.

As always, with setup...mileage varies.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:55 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post
yes, it does not play well. RC link will work but video is wasted. RC link is also reduced greatly.

2.4 Ghz RC link can work on other video freqs like 1.3 Ghz or 900 Mhz. If you want to stay with 2.4 for the RC link then a 1 watt booster is in order. I've seen 5 miles distance with it.

As always, with setup...mileage varies.
That is good information to know. Never thought about the on the ground video receiver being hit by the RC transmitter.

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2011, 04:33 AM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

no prob. It is cheap enough to boost your spektrum to 1 watt. I believe stock is 200 mW

http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...9ffef6f4a531f8

Old 08-06-2011, 02:51 AM
CanCanCase

Originally Posted by earthsciteach View Post
No doubt there will be some issues with these 'toys.' They do come with foam "bumpers" that guard the blades, which should be permanently attached. Saving grace is that this 'toy' costs $300 for one unit.

I'd like to see the receiver/controller on these, just to see how they work. Aside from the safety issues, it is pretty interesting technology.
It's actually controlled over an ad-hoc P2P WiFi network... the drone broadcasts a base signal and you set your iPhone to join that network. Different SSIDs for each drone allow multiple units to fly in vicinity. Range is rather limited... 50 feet or so, and they're still working on a firmware update that will truly "return to base" when out of range. Today, mine was allowed to wander out of the garage and was immediately caught in the breeze. Up, up, up it went! The gyro and ultrasonic altimeter try valiantly to stabilize the thing in a breeze, but winds were too strong today at well over 5 mph and gusty in my neighborhood.

The ones in the New York Central Park video have no blade guards of any sort as they whiz inches from the hot dog vendor's head. FUN!!!
The "guard" is what they're pushing as an "indoor hull"... the blade guards do more to protect sheetrock and earlobes than they do to protect the blades. Mine went wonky in a stiff breeze today and I had to slap it out of the air before it went to 50 feet (again)... got my finger right in the sweet-spot of a blade at full RPM with no pain. Kinda like a prop-saver, these things don't develop any torque to do any hurting whatsoever.

Man I want one of these, Bad!, has anyone found them in the US, and do they work on a android OS? or just Iphones.....
Ordered one from my LHS this week. Seems they're readily available at this time. I'm an iPhone nut (let's not start that particular debate here, please!) so I won't comment on other mobile platforms. With the ease of developing for the iOS platform, there are already quite a few 3rd party apps to milk every ounce of "experimental" performance out of the thing.

The onboard control systems are running a form of Linux, and you can telnet directly into the control OS if you're a geeky type who wants to tinker. I've got 3 or 4 different control apps that all have different pros and cons to them. One lets you record the video feed from either camera and snap stills of, say, the top of your head whilst flying, etc... Another has some pre-programmed "dance" maneuvers - macros if you will - to make the thing do programmable routines. The one control app I've been playing with today makes it possible to mix yaw and roll controls to make for very effective one-handed-coordinated-turns.

The "prop guard" or "indoor hull" adds a few ounces to the RTF weight, but I'm disoriented enough for now that I'm keeping it on. The promo vids all show the "outdoor hull" which saves quite a bit of weight, increases maneuverability, flight time, etc. Given that I almost lost the thing in a stiff breeze today, I'll stick to indoor flying for now!

As for the debate about FPV flying, my fat thumbs cover enough of the iPhone screen that I'm not even ABOUT to try to fly based on the video until I get the thing loaded on my iPad!

-Case