Flytech Dragonfly any good? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

Flytech Dragonfly any good?

Old 05-14-2007, 04:18 PM
TheIcyFire

Default Flytech Dragonfly any good?

Hello! I saw this rc "helicopter" with wings,and I want to know if its easy to control it,and if it can hover(at least 3 seconds)without going left,right,forward,backwards like most normal helis.

Last edited by TheIcyFire; 05-14-2007 at 07:13 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 07:07 PM
Aero Ace Ace

Just what I need, another bug on my windshield...
Old 05-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Kat
Pyromaniac

See my thread, Not a heli.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:46 PM
JAYHUC
Gravity's in your mind

Thumbs up Dragon Fly

I Have One. It's Amazing. But It Doesn't Fly Like A Plain Or Heli. It's A Learning Curve But Not A Big One. It Requires About A 20 By 20 Room To Fly. Outside There Must Be Zero Wind. It Takes A Beating, I Have Drove It In From About 25 Feet And Nothing Broke.
But All Around It A Blast To Fly And Well Worth My 40 Dollars.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default I have it

I picked up one a month ago, it needs revisions big time. I stripped down all of the non essential eps and added a fin and stabalizer in order to get it to behave better. I'm going to revise the tail feathers so it's further refined of a flyer. One huge advantage it does have, it's very safe around people so you don't have to worry about hurting anybody in a collision. It is a toy regardless, and as long as you keep it in that context, is a marginal amount of fun. I may make a larger rc version of it now that I have it stripped out, seeing how it's assembled.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	orn2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	31237  
Old 05-15-2007, 04:54 AM
Sentertainment
Hobbyist/Web Developer

Pretty neat, what's the general price?
Old 05-15-2007, 12:12 PM
Fly Away Ohm
Sometimes in control!

Wink

Saucerguy has got it wrong, this thing is a hoot and flies fine straight out the box. Some folks just have to tinker!

Got mine a few weeks ago and have flown it every opportunity since! Durable? this thing is damn near indestructable! The weather here has been good enough to fly outside so I have flown into walls, trees, fences, spikey bushes, small children etc., etc., and it still flies perfectly! I am still using the original wings which are like new, not a mark on them! It is so light and the wings so large that it just floats to the ground if you power off, even from 50 feet. The lack of weight also means that it won't damage anything it lands on either, like your neighbour's car.

10 plus minutes flight time and a 15 minute charge time means you can do plenty of flying - I'm seriously thinking about getting another so I can fly almost contiuously!

It is supplied with a 6 inch ribbon that attaches to the tail which slows it right down, slow enough to fly in between trees, people and cars - non moving ones I hasten to add! It is so controllable that if a car comes down our road whilst I'm flying, I'm confident enough to keep it airbourne over the road and let the car pass underneath!

I let a couple of mates who have never flown anything have a go and they got the hang of it within a couple of minutes, so it is a doddle to fly, I reckon anyone could fly it reasonably well within 5 minutes of starting, but entertaining enough not to get boring. I haven't managed a loop yet, but I keep trying!

As someone with experience of micro helis it is worth mentioning that it is genuinely RTF straight out of the box, the only thing you have to do is fit the 6 AA batteries into the transmitter and wait for it to charge up!

I like to go out at night when there is little or no wind and fly it around the street lights, it is quiet and slow enough to do this in a residential area without upsetting anyone. Virtually every time I fly it I get an audience but because it is so light I don't have to worry about people getting too close for safety like I do with the heli. It will fly in a slight wind up to 4 mph and by flying into the wind you can get it to hover too!

It costs £40 in the UK, equivalent to about $80 but I honestly reckon in terms of 'bangs per buck' it is unbeatable. You can't help but smile every time you fly it!
Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default i agree.......

I have not a clue about flying anything, this is the absolute best, most consistantly designed ornithopter ever produced, it's absolutely prefect every time right out of the box and nobody ever should make revisions to it, it just is that good..........

I'd like to expand upon this, but by now, if you read it and not hurled your lunch, this does take some revision, some don't need it since they happened to get one that's prefect, live in the exact perfect conditions and generally are damn lucky..........

I for one like it, just want it to fly right, right out of the box everwhere, it's underpowered and that's the main issue I address with the mods on it to adjust for it. Don't knock it unless you have tried it, you can always glue it back together if you wnat to opt back to the original specs. I still have to finish the mods since I have not had time to field test further regardless.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:35 PM
TheIcyFire

thanks for the info Fly Away Ohm
Old 05-15-2007, 03:16 PM
Fly Away Ohm
Sometimes in control!

Default Don't throw your toys!

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
I picked up one a month ago, it needs revisions big time.
- steady on there cowboy! Tweaks maybe but big time revisions?

I speak as I find Saucerguy, and this is the most RTF thing I have ever owned. Absolutely no affiliations, but happy to praise something I think is good.

Modify to your hearts content by all means 'cos that's what this hobby is all about but there is no need to be quite so critical is there?

For the price I think it offers incredible value and you don't need to be a seasoned ace to get it flying.

I certainly don't find mine underpowered, 10 minutes of flying from something that weighs less than a damp tissue is pretty good in my book.

I know you meant it sarcastically, but do you know of a better ornithopter?

BTW, this , is a wink, and it means I'm pulling your leg.

This,, on the other hand, is an eye roll and means don't take yourself so seriously!
Old 05-15-2007, 09:57 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Here is the deal

It has "just" enough power to get airborn given there is absolutely no wind and you aren't having to turn it too often, it loses altitude during each turn and at full throttle, it porpuses. The COG mark is off so what happens is you are struggling with it to hold altitude, if there is a slight breeze, I mean, "any", it's not going to handle it at all.

I did extensive tests with it stock just to check it's tendacies, in a gym, to my small shop and livingroom as well as outdoors prior to modding it. There was a trade off to keep it looking like a scale dragonfly compared to flyability. Along RTF toy's, my favorite is the harbor freight yellow bee, you should try that one out, they have a condor that's junk and priced higher there as well, they often go on sale for 30.00 compared to this one at 50.00, the picoz is also an awsome rtf toy. The megatech night flyer on the other hand from rat shack, you buy to yank the led module and throw away the rest, that one is a lost cause, I have it as well and tested it thoroughly.

My mods are to extract every inkling of potential from it as a flyer, in stability as well as performance, I'll keep you guys posted once the tail section is redone and I get the final results from it here. I do like the fact it's something you can fly almost anywhere without worrying about running into people or objects, it's a very docile creation.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:44 PM
Fly Away Ohm
Sometimes in control!

Default Less is More!

Try flying with less throttle - in the gym mine climbs steadily at half throttle and maintains it's altitude during turns. In still air it will continue to fly level with remarkably slow wing beats, in fact I don't really understand what the last quarter of throttle travel is for, other than to make it porpoise!

I reckon it could do with a slower revving motor, could it be that there is an optimum wing beat rate for an ornithopter? Over revving a boat propeller causes cavitation and power loss so maybe there is something similar with a flapping wing.

I beg to differ on the breeze comment - fair enough, something that light is going to suffer in any sort of wind but at leaf trembler wind speeds you can match the forward speed to the wind speed and get a very respectable hover.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default tail mods

It's showing promise with the tail modifications, much more precise handling, optimumly this will be able to handle a 10' X 10' area without having to use the ribbon. I've tinkered around with it with marginal results in an even smaller area via. stock set up. We can agree to disagree on any subject or detail and still remain friends, so no biggie in that area. As stated before, I'm trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of it and correct the COG and wingloading issues so you can fly at full throttle.