Homemade Scale for Balancing Rotor Blades - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Homemade Scale for Balancing Rotor Blades

Old 02-20-2007, 11:34 PM
Sorloser

Lightbulb Homemade Scale for Balancing Rotor Blades

HOMEMADE SCALE for BALANCING ROTOR BLADES

I wanted to post this in hopes it would help others. It’s been working GREAT for me and was very easy to make. Please let me know if you need additional information or if my information looks incorrect. Taker Easy. (Note: I used two allen keys in the pics below not the rotor screws. I didt want to take my heli appart. Its a Blade CP Pro BTW)
Scott

What I used - Aluminum Sheet. Very light. I also made one out of good card board that worked well.
- Tin Snips, Drill and Bit, Drafting Square (90-45-45), and a drafting compass
- The screws from my rotors and the Allen key that takes them off
- Couple scraps of wood for a stand. I also drilled a hole in the garage wall that fits my scale too.
Took about 30 minutes to make.
  • Trace Drafting Square onto Aluminum Sheet. Turn the square and draw a 90 degree line to the bottom point (a center line). Cut out as accurately as possible. If it’s not perfect don’t worry I’ll tell you how to fix it later.
  • Marking holes to drill X3. With your compass place the point about midway down your 90 degree center line (BE DEAD NUTS ON). Draw two arches in the outer corners edge to edge. Now close the compass down so it will reach about halfway through your corner arches. Now on the edge that both arches and the center line meet. Draw the intersection of your drill holes on both arches and the center line. (MAKE SURE THE COMPASS DOES NOT CHANGE SIZE) NOTE that the center line intersection will be slightly lower then the outer marks. I wanted it that way so when I balance for COG I don’t pivot on the center hole pin.
  • Drill holes (AGAIN BE DEAD NUTS ON) …that was easy…lol
  • Make the stand. I used two wood scraps to make an L shaped stand. From the Bottom middle of the stand draw a 90 degree line up the center. Drill a hole for your pivot pin (allen key in my case) DEAD NUTS on the line near the top.
  • Let’s see how we did…hand your scale on the pivot pin…now level the scale by shimming up your stand so both center lines meet…. HERES THE MOMENT OF TRUTH…now turn the scale around and see if the scales lower point hits the stands center line…if it did your done…if not add some tape to the lighter side to close the distance by HALF. Reshim the stand so center point and center line match. Turn the scale back around it should now balance. Fine tune with more or less tape as needed….DONE
NOW BALANCE SOME ROTORS
  • Find the COG (center of gravity) for both blades by placing them across the two outer pins. (I use the rotor screws inserted from the back) . Slide side to side until scale balances. Place a mark on the rotor at the center line of the scale.
  • Line both blades up and see if COG’s match. If you have to adjust the blade with the mark closest to the main shaft of the heli. Transfer the mark from the other blade…place the new mark on the blade at the center line of the scale…add tape to rotor tip till balanced.
  • Balance both blades by hanging one on each side of the scale. Add tape as needed to the DEAD NUTS COG line of the lighter blade until balanced….DONE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9677.jpg
Views:	687
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	24692   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9679.jpg
Views:	755
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24693   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9680.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	24694   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9681.jpg
Views:	837
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	24695  
Old 04-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Sorloser

Lots of lookers!
Anyone make one yet?
Any questions/comments?
Old 04-16-2007, 04:52 AM
saber_33
The sky is home.

Cool!
Sounds kind of complicated to make but I might try it.
What if the blades arent balanced? Do you just fly it with the extra tape on?