F4 phantom will not move - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

F4 phantom will not move

Old 07-19-2017, 05:49 PM
Rcplanes13

Default F4 phantom will not move

I have the Nitroplanes F4 Phantom ARF for some time now. I relize that it is made for experts, but i chose to do it anyway. After working on it for a while and gaining new information, i put everything together, covered every place air can get in, and it will not move, even if i have the throttle all the way up. It just sits there and can't even move, i tried it on different and more smoother grounds, but nothing. I have contacted other people on this site and many more, which has helped me and the most related to this problem is the thrust situation, it weighs about 10lbs and the thrust is half which should make it work, but doesn't. I really need help/ideas!!!
Old 07-19-2017, 06:10 PM
formontoya

could the motor be spinning backward? what do you feel when you "have the throttle all the way up"? Not knowing what you have I would say just swap any 2 wires on the motor and see what happens...
Old 07-19-2017, 06:15 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Questions :

What battery do you have ?

What battery is recc'd ?

Is it on free-running wheels ?

Have you calibrated the throttle ?

Are you sure there are no obstructions IN and OUT of thrust / air passages ?

Nigel
Old 07-19-2017, 07:19 PM
Rcplanes13

Here is the equipment

Motor:
http://m.ebay.com/itm/2Pack-70mm-Duc...%257Ciid%253A8
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
15004881508301652715789.jpg (619.8 KB, 160 views)
1500488207758-904004998.jpg (1.05 MB, 159 views)
1500488224498501481309.jpg (859.4 KB, 151 views)
15004882447031661278318.jpg (738.2 KB, 156 views)
Old 07-19-2017, 07:22 PM
Rcplanes13

Formontoya, they are both spinning in the correct direction
Old 07-19-2017, 07:25 PM
Rcplanes13

Nigel, i am sure there are no obstuctions in the way, i am just using the transmitter the same way as i pulled it out of the box
Old 07-19-2017, 08:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Have you calibrated the throttles ?

It is common for ESC's to not give full till calibrated to the throttle signal from the Tx.

Nigel
Old 07-19-2017, 08:26 PM
Rcplanes13

I have tried to calibrate it before, but wasn't quite sure if i got it correct
Old 07-19-2017, 08:34 PM
Stay Quiet

I've been looking at some of the OPs other posts on the forum.

Let's just say that the RC Gods are probably doing him a favor right now.

He has never flown before. His batteries are old and not up to snuff for an EDF. If he ever does get this ship airborne, it's not going to end well.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:10 PM
Rodneh

Originally Posted by Rcplanes13 View Post
I have the Nitroplanes F4 Phantom ARF for some time now. I relize that it is made for experts, but i chose to do it anyway. After working on it for a while and gaining new information, i put everything together, covered every place air can get in, and it will not move, even if i have the throttle all the way up. It just sits there and can't even move, i tried it on different and more smoother grounds, but nothing. I have contacted other people on this site and many more, which has helped me and the most related to this problem is the thrust situation, it weighs about 10lbs and the thrust is half which should make it work, but doesn't. I really need help/ideas!!!
What do you mean "covered every place air can get in"? You have to NOT obstruct the inlet area.
Old 07-19-2017, 11:53 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I've been looking at some of the OPs other posts on the forum.

Let's just say that the RC Gods are probably doing him a favor right now.

He has never flown before. His batteries are old and not up to snuff for an EDF. If he ever does get this ship airborne, it's not going to end well.
Looks as if the advise previously given in other like posts 'has gone in one ear and out the other".......evidently compounded by the exit ear being against a wall and reverberating back into the skull........can't say we didn't try to be helpful.......
Old 07-20-2017, 06:44 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I do remember the previous thread ....

Just a comment - this is Wattflyer, we don't do snarky style remarks here. We may poke each other a bit at times, but we keep it 'nice'.

Guy needs help.

Nigel
Old 07-20-2017, 06:50 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Rcplanes13 ...... to be honest - already we start to see that it may be a good idea to shelve this F4 for a while and get a trainer to learn on. This F4 will be a handful for any new / intermediate flyer.

Its also a good idea to Google / read up on regular things like Calibrating ESC to throttle etc. Those sort ofthings apply to all electric models.

Looking back over the photos ....

Do you have one or two ESC's ? Your photo only shows one. Brushless motors require separate ESC for each ....

Nigel
Old 07-20-2017, 01:10 PM
tobydogs
love to build!

Agree with all advise given. Nothing to add other than request you post a video of the f4 running at WOT on pavement or street.

Would a single brushless esc even work 2 motors at all. I know it takes 2 and just wondered having never tried wiring 2 motors to one esc. I also agree 100% regarding our responses to one another. Best advice of all.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Stay Quiet

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I do remember the previous thread ....

Just a comment - this is Wattflyer, we don't do snarky style remarks here. We may poke each other a bit at times, but we keep it 'nice'.

Guy needs help.

Nigel
I apologize if my remark came off as "snarky". It wasn't intended to be.

Does the OP need help? Yes, obviously. Has he been given good, solid advice and suggestions in previous posts? I believe so. Have the advice and suggestions been heeded? Evidently not.

Assisting him with technical issues to get this dual EDF jet into the air isn't really "helping" at this point. We all know how that flight will most likely end.

I'm all for helping a newbie out, and helping where I can, even if the question(s) being asked have been asked countless times before by other newbies. It's when questions are asked, answered, the answers ignored, and the questions asked again, that I begin to feel that I may be wasting my time assisting.
Old 07-20-2017, 01:24 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Stay Quiet View Post
I apologize if my remark came off as "snarky". It wasn't intended to be.
My comment wasn't actually aimed at you !!

Does the OP need help? Yes, obviously. Has he been given good, solid advice and suggestions in previous posts? I believe so. Have the advice and suggestions been heeded? Evidently not.

Assisting him with technical issues to get this dual EDF jet into the air isn't really "helping" at this point. We all know how that flight will most likely end.

I'm all for helping a newbie out, and helping where I can, even if the question(s) being asked have been asked countless times before by other newbies. It's when questions are asked, answered, the answers ignored, and the questions asked again, that I begin to feel that I may be wasting my time assisting.
I agree.

Nigel
Old 07-20-2017, 01:27 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
Agree with all advise given. Nothing to add other than request you post a video of the f4 running at WOT on pavement or street.

Would a single brushless esc even work 2 motors at all. I know it takes 2 and just wondered having never tried wiring 2 motors to one esc. I also agree 100% regarding our responses to one another. Best advice of all.
I have witnessed one ESC running two BL motors - but it was pure luck IK reckon .. the synch pulses would not normally match ... etc.

I've looked again and I missed the second ESC sitting deep in on the left ...

Now I wonder if only ONE ESC is actually firing up ... maybe he hasn't plugged in the two ESC's correctly ?
I must admit that the Radio with this F4 is not the best ... based on the FlySky CT6B ...

Nigel
Old 07-20-2017, 03:07 PM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Is this the LX twin 70mm ? Must have bought it sans motors and esc's ? Kit?
The 3000kv motors should be fine on 4S. Twin 60 amp esc's should be fine depending on blade count. Like a lot of edf's there's usually a cheater hole covered by a grate. It's there for a reason. Those twin fans need air. FSA .

Timing on the esc's? How many poles are the motors ? Usually set timing to low setting on these edf's . Not saying that's causing her not to move. The lipo? Looked like 4S but what's the C rating? Anything under 30-35C is unacceptable in the edf world . These 3000kv motors need a high flow rate of goo ! In fact, I'd start there. What lipo is that btw?

I've had the 64mm F-4. A handful to say the least. The full scale Phantom was nicknamed " the brick" and all the replica models follow suit for the most part. This is absolutely not a first plane nor a second or even a third.

Why go through all of this preparation, spend all of this money for what will be a 20 second bad experience? Why set yourself up for failure? Like Nigel said, shelve it for now. Save this nice Naval fighter/ bomber for later.

Else you're guaranteed to leave the Hobby saying " It just wasn't for me"

Hawk

Get a trainer and a sim.
Old 07-20-2017, 06:42 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

P .... >

The CT6B is not a good radio for the F4 because a) its fast, b) it needs RANGE due to it will cover a large flight area ...

The CT6B is fine for a slow trainer though ...

The two threads have different base to work from ..... ones a Hot EDF - other is a slow docile trainer.

Nigel