Ratchet or not - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Ratchet or not

Old 09-30-2016, 04:07 AM
Vic Z

Question Ratchet or not

Have been playing with my tx lately. I use my thumb on the left side and my thumb and index finger on the right. Tried to learn thumb only but my finger just can't seem to mind its own business.
Anyway I made my left stick short and my right stick long. I also have the throttle on the ratchet. I have my throttle and ailerons a little harder to move than the rudder and elevator. Has really helped with the cross controlling issues.
Wondering how others set up their sticks mechanically.
Also, with the ratchet on the throttle i land planes that need throttle at 3 clicks up (set throttle trim to engage motor at 2 clicks) but am wondering if this makes me lazy or am i cheating myself out of just landing by feel.
Old 09-30-2016, 04:28 AM
dahawk
Super Contributor

Vic,
If that works well for you stick with it(excuse the pun) I'm more of a pincher. Thumbs
on top for me didn't work well. I also don't use rachets. Just a preference. Don't see anything wrong with rachets but ....
Old 09-30-2016, 05:50 AM
Panther
Super Contributor

I'm a ratchet man....
Old 09-30-2016, 08:54 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I like STIFF sticks ... (now stop laughing !)

I don't like ratchet but like friction to hold position on throttle.

Why ?

Mode 2 as OP has found out has one problem ... cross interaction of paired controls by stick wondering off the line. Most people will reduce this by using EXPO .. I use both expo and tighten gimbals to ONE axis with main axis less stiff. Example ... Elevator / aileron. I make aileron stiff so when I move elevator - I am less likely to give slight aileron.

Why no ratchet .......... fly a helicopter with ratchet and you will soon want to remove rachet .. it makes throttle operate in steps instead of smoother smaller steps. All throttles on radios are stepped ... but the electronic steps are tiny. Ratchet steps are huge in comparison.

That's my way .. others have theirs .. we all arrive at what suits our way of flying. Nothing wrong with any ...

Nigel
Old 09-30-2016, 01:00 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

Yep, whatever floats your boat, or flies your plane.

I have adjustable throw angles on my tx. It helped me to angle the throws, as I use my thumbs, and they tend to wander off center as they move back and forth.

Expo, as mentioned helps too, but if you add too much expo, you get some weird reactions from the plane.
Old 09-30-2016, 01:03 PM
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

No ratchet here either. I used one for years but it's no use for helis so I removed it (the 'notches' give too course control for helis). The ratchet does help a little in fixed wing to prevent inadvertent throttle input when using rudder, but it's not a big deal.
Old 09-30-2016, 05:46 PM
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Whatever works for you......It's a personal preference. Since my serious endeavors started with heli's, ratchets were not advisable......never even consider it once fixed wing became my staple....... a little stiff and smooth works for me.......
Old 09-30-2016, 06:16 PM
formontoya

We're al different, but...(run mode 2-thumber) I like light tension and ratchet on the throttle as it helps me to control it better. I can fine tune a maneuver with just a click or two either way to get more precise. I put more tension on the rudder so it does not effect the throttle in knife edge so much. I put more tension in the elevator so I don't roll the ailerons when working the elevator.