General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Bungee set-up video suitable for rough ground

Old 05-21-2021, 06:33 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Default Bungee set-up video suitable for rough ground

Prompted by long running thread on Bungee use - I decided to create a video showing the advantages of using a ramp to get model of the ground and avoid damage.
The system has been created years ago after many years of Hi-Starts and different versions. The system here has served perfectly and performs just as well today. Based on over 50years of model flying ... 35 odd years of Ducted Fan ..... and the actual gear in the video being ~over 10 years old and still today performing faultlessly.
Its main benefit is the model can be launched regardless of ground condition. Rough fields particularly can damage models and this removes that at launch, leaving only the landing to sort.
I've tried so many different forms from free style Hi-Starts for Thermal gliders ... to board based short run launchers ... but finally settled on this system. Easy to set-up ... safely removing operator from props and blades .. Highest cost item is the bungee cord itself - rest is easily obtained in any local DIY shop.

Simple ...... Safe ....... Easy to make ..... Easy to set-up ......

Using Eagle Tree Pitot Speed checker - a 50mm EDF Skyangel T45 was launched on this system with no motor power. Model allowed to glide to a landing .. the Speed Checker showed 113kph ...

I hope the video can help people with set-ups ...
Old 05-23-2021, 02:28 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Like you said, super simple. Great idea Nigel.
Old 05-23-2021, 09:46 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

If anyone wants a list or description of what I used .... just ask and I shall provide. More than happy to help others to setup - what can be a real advantage at times.

Difficult to launch models become so easy with this .....

If I think back to the Need for Speed campaign we had here on this forum - I was having real difficulty getting my high power Parkjet away ... fearsome machine ... the torque when hand launched was so bad ...
Out of 5 'throws' only 2 ever survived ... one led to the 222kph flight. The other led to about 240kph - but disallowed for lack of supporting evidence.
Once the Parkjet was launched by Bungee - every launch was a success. Later I did try the 'Beast' ..... a twin motor Parkjet - but TBH - a crazy idea and far too ambitious a model setup.