Go Back  WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > General Electric Discussions
Reload this Page >

How do I disassemble a Eflite BL15 Out Runner motor for the Eflite Apprentice S 15E?

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

How do I disassemble a Eflite BL15 Out Runner motor for the Eflite Apprentice S 15E?

Old 04-23-2015, 01:12 AM
WFRAH

Default How do I disassemble a Eflite BL15 Out Runner motor for the Eflite Apprentice S 15E?

Hello. I am trying to replace a broken motor shaft on a Eflite Apprentice BL15 Outrunner Motor. I have the three set screws loosened up. Two on the front and one one the back. The collar on the back with the one set screw in won't budge but I am not working it very hard so not to wreck anything. Someone mentioned something about a lock ring some where but I don't see one. Are there any videos or online instructions for doing this?
The motor was damaged when my Apprentice did a nose dive shortly after take off into some wet grass. Using a air compressor and vacuum, I tried to get as much of the wet dirt cleaned out of the motor as possible but after removing the motor from the plane I can see there is still a lot of mud caked to the wound wire inside the motor. Any tips on cleaning this all off while I have the motor apart? The motor only has about 15 minutes of run time so I am trying to repair it instead of replacing it.
Thanks....Ron.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:50 AM
birdDog
Charging....

The shaft may have flats on it for the set screws, best to remove them completely. If you cannot see a C clip on the face of either of the bearing there is not one. Best advice is to remove all collars if you can and attempt to press the shaft out of the bearings and motor. As suggested a drill press (not running of course) can be the best tool for this. If not, then an arbor press, bench vise or c-clamp in that order.

I have had some success just pushing them against the bench by hand.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:02 AM
stemo99

The C clip is probably behind the collar you haven't yet but must remove. Once coller is removed, put the motor in a plastic bag so when you use a tiny pick to remove the C clip it doesn't launch in good byesville. You should then be able to pull the motor apart and press out the broken shaft and press in the new one.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:46 AM
WFRAH

Default How to disassemble BL15

Ok. I have the shaft pressed out. Now I must clean all of the caked mud from the front of the inside of the motor. Will it hurt if I slide the motor housing off the the wire wound section of the motor in able to clean it with a tiny screw driver and eventually some electrical contact cleaner spray and compressed air?
Old 04-23-2015, 03:01 AM
carpetbagger

my fav cleaning off muck tool is an old toothbrush. Also aerosol Electroclean is handy - available at auto stores and the like for cleaning electrical contacts. I have doused all sorts of electric motors and electronics with that stuff = no problems.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:30 AM
birdDog
Charging....

Yep, the bell should just slide off now. Most likely just held in place by magnetism right now. Be careful not to nick any of those wires!
Old 04-23-2015, 03:43 AM
WFRAH

Default How to Disasseble a BL15

Ok. I will probobly not start cleaning until tomorrow night. Thanks for all your help. Will post more as I go along.
One more thing. The only thing that was in between the collar and back of the motor housing was a small wire like ring that was either a spacer for between the collar and the back of the motor housing or something else. It was not a solid ring but cut on one side sorta like a lock washer.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:08 PM
birdDog
Charging....

Originally Posted by WFRAH View Post
Ok. I will probobly not start cleaning until tomorrow night. Thanks for all your help. Will post more as I go along.
One more thing. The only thing that was in between the collar and back of the motor housing was a small wire like ring that was either a spacer for between the collar and the back of the motor housing or something else. It was not a solid ring but cut on one side sorta like a lock washer.
That was the "c" clip. It keeps the shaft from pulling out or a bearing from falling out. It just pushes straight into a groove cut in the shaft. They have a tendency to fly when working with them so try to contain it. Use a bag. It seems that some larger motors have a collar installed to compliment the clip, to keep it from flexing and possibly failing.
Old 04-24-2015, 03:21 AM
WFRAH

Default Disassemble BL15 motor.

There is no groove in the shaft and the split ring in bigger in diameter. I think it fits in a round groove on the bearing. I haven't had time to work on it tonight. Probably won't until the weekend. Thanks.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:53 PM
WFRAH

Default Disassemble BL15 Motor

Ok, I cleaned all the dirt from the motor using electrical contact cleaner, a toothbrush and air compressor and am ready to reassemble. My neighbor has the drill press and is gone for the day so I hope to reassemble Momday night depending on what time I get done working. I'm probably going to apply a film of spray lube to the shaft before we press it in. I also have dielectric grease I could apply a small amount if that would be better. I have all my replacement parts but am not going to rush it.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

I wouldn't add any lube. Just make sure the starting end of the shaft has a bit of a chamfer on it so it doesn't catch going in. Also you need to support the bell when pressing in the shaft. Something as simple as a deep well socket, who's diameter matches the front bearing section. That way you won't possibly deform the bell when pressing in the shaft.

Don't ask how I know about that one...
Old 04-29-2015, 04:19 AM
WFRAH

Default Disassemble BL 15 motor.

I have it all back together. I just need to spend another hour when I get time on the plane itself making sure it balanced. Didn't use any lube. The shaft went in fairly easy. Thanks