Beginners - Helis A forum where beginners can get help on the fundamentals for experts who know their stuff!

FB / FBL Stability

Old 04-08-2012, 02:41 AM
gorfllub

Default FB / FBL Stability

After flying coaxial and SIM'ing a CP its time to look at a bigger machine.

I initally SIM'd the CP as I had bought a used one. However it was not set up right and frustrated me as I was not having a good time fixing it.

Anyhow, I think I am going to go to a 500 sized machine. Maybe bigger, but I live in the forest at a lake and I dont have a lot of open space (unless its over water.... floats? Lol) So I think 500 will be a good choice.

I have some questions about flight charachteristics. My FS i have not had installed in years, so i have not SIM'd anything FBL.

- Is it more stable than an FB setup? It seems it would be based on the 3 axis?

- If that is indeed the case, then would it not be safe to say that putting a 3 axis gyro on an FB bird would improve its stability? It seems all I see are tail gyros on FB machines.

And all that being said, ultimately FB or FBL for new non-coax flier?
Old 04-08-2012, 07:19 PM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

FBL can be made to be as stable or as unstable as you want with a good controller. That's the beauty of electronic flight stabilization. Although mechanics do matter most good FBL units can more or less make a variety of heli's feel identical until you hit the flight envelope limits.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:56 PM
gorfllub

Right,

But as FB units seem to be less expensive, would a 3 axis system be beneficial to a normal machine?

Or just bite the bullet and go FBL right out of the gate?

Was looking at the HK500 which seems to be a pretty decent value. Its seems their gyro's get pretty poor reviews.

Any thoughts on a flymentor unit? Will it work in conjunction with an FBL system?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
zeta30
Team Mulikow

I would go with a FB head if it were me. They are much easier to set up and maintain. Even a BeastX which is very easy to set up can be a bit daunting the first time you do it.

I know a few people that flew with Co-Pilot brand systems. They absolutely swore by them. The trouble here again is that you have to have it set up right to make it work. I don't know how well they work if at all with FBL systems.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:00 PM
vortex05
Blade CP, Blade 400

Even though I really like the idea of FBL from what I've been hearing it's still a beta product.

Not yet userfriendly enough

And apparently you need to know how to fly to know how to tune it. Otherwise you may have some occilation issues.