General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Park Flying?

Old 10-04-2011, 05:52 PM
KeninAZ

Default Park Flying?

I know what the AMA says a park flyer is.
But I am curious as to how many have problems with local authorities allowing small RC electrics to fly there?
I must assume that if an officer says it's dangerous that you are through.
We have many parks local and I have never seen an RC there.
I don't know if they allow them or not. Nothing is posted either way.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:59 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

I recommend permission. You can check the city ordinances they usually indicate what you can and can't do in the parks. If it a wide open area where you are not over-flying people you have a good case to make to them.

They don't necessarily have to post what is and is not allowed.

You can take the other side just go there and fly and see if anyone has an issue. Again if the fly area is safe you can try that. I just like the permission route better as you don't have to waste your time if they are going to hassle you.

Mike
Old 10-04-2011, 06:03 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

I fly in the local school yard. I never asked and have never been stopped. however recently the sporting events that take place in the schoolyard have taken all the free time away from the park and we have had people make comments that the planes are distracting to the kids. I no longer fly at ALL if there is a sporting even going on, but I still think i'm eventually going to be told I can't fly anymore.

I'm moving away from parkflyers and into larger (flying field) size plane because of this.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM
KeninAZ

I think what you are saying is key here.
If you fly around people you are more likely to have problems with complaints regardless of what you are flying.
We have many parks in our small area here and they are used quite heavily.
I would hate to be the one that got a regulation imposed on anyone but as stated I think if anyone complained to the police that they would just deem it dangerous and that would be the end of it.
I guess if I want to fly smaller models I will just have to look elsewhere other than the city park system.
There is a lot of open land in AZ.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 PM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

We live in a time where instead of solving problems we just ban activities. We fly in the parks when space allows but I know at anytime if someone makes an issue of it we are probably done.

The thing that is so nice about park flyers and the radio technology is you can fly so many places without much worry instead of burning up a bunch of gas driving to a sanctioned flying field. However, everyone should have AMA or other suitable insurance. I know of one crash where a plane impacted a Porsche....$8K later.

Dave
Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 PM
KeninAZ

Yes I watched a guy hit an SUV which was parked near a club field.
The guy quickly got into his truck and left but everyone knew who he was.
The club was forced to report him.
I hope he had insurance as it does not take much now to get into some serious money for repairs and such.
He was mad that people told the SUV owner who he was but if they hadn't the club might have lost the leased field.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:39 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Ken,

It all depends on the city. Mesa says no RC/kites/rocketry in any of their city parks, with the exception of the two retention basins we have set up with them.

Gilbert doesn't care at all, so long as you're careful.

Chandler says no RC except at Thude Park.

Not sure about anywhere else. As stated above, best bet is to check city ordinances, or call the Parks Dept.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:42 PM
KeninAZ

Good idea to call the parks department.
Better than calling the police to ask I think.
The parks department would know the rules for sure within the city.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 PM
KeninAZ

Just an update~
I called the city parks department.
After much discussion with them there is no ordinance locally in Prescott against it.
However, we all know that all it takes is one guy to fly foolishly and there might be.
In checking with the parks department it tells me that at least if someone that lives with a cell phone in their ear makes a phone call to the police that I know there is no ordinance on the books I would be violating.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Octavius
Alien Surfer

I normally fly at off-hours and if someone is around I'll land and wait until they leave. Basically just being subtle and not drawing attention to myself. People are messed up now days. i.e. You will drive your car a little too close to them and they'll say you hit them just to get attention or a power-play.

Also, I'm 100% against asking permission... for anything. California is a huge rule-fest right now. There's a rule against everything and a fence around everything there isn't a rule against. It's way too easy for them to just say no when they don't know, and are too lazy to find out. I'm also against causing a fuss, see my 1st point.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:42 AM
eliworm

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Ken,

It all depends on the city. Mesa says no RC/kites/rocketry in any of their city parks, with the exception of the two retention basins we have set up with them.

Gilbert doesn't care at all, so long as you're careful.

Chandler says no RC except at Thude Park.

Not sure about anywhere else. As stated above, best bet is to check city ordinances, or call the Parks Dept.
Pat,
I know you are pretty well up on these but did Mesa say no kites as well? I see them all the time. Also I don't think it's just RC, but model flying of any kind.

Jim
Old 10-05-2011, 04:08 PM
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Thier standard Park Rules sign says no kites. I made sure I read it thoroughly when we were setting up the Basin with them.

I know, silly isn't it?